Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the tone SRV does in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNhFZkTXAs

the solo tone starting at 2:50

Any suggestions or ideas? I'm really curious as to what pedal he actually uses for the solo. It's such a great tone.

I have a crate palomino v32 with a gibson les paul studio and a big muff to work with. I also have a squier strat which I think would be more suitable for this song/tone.

Thanks
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
the V32 will be okay. but you NEED to have a strat
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
A guitarists tone is at least 1/2 from his fingers imo. A fender amp and a tubescreamer would get you closer.
For you, I'd use your strat, put your muff away, and use slight tube saturation. Or use the muff but with low gain.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
so you guys think a strat without any pedals through the v32 would be decent? My brother has a MIM strat so maybe I'll just borrow that and see how it sounds.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
I have the same amp, and with some careful adjusting and a decent strat getting a SRV tone will be possible with it. I personally like the natural overdrive the amp gets with the volume at about 1-2 O'clock.
Fender Vibroverb 1x15 and/or
Fender Super Reverb 4x10

stacked tube screamers

strat with vintage sounding pickups
You don't absolutely need a strat for srv tone. I had a seymour duncan sh-5 wired in parallel in the neck position of my LP and with some thick strings and an understanding of Stevie's attack I was able to very effectively mimic his tone, right down to the hollow hendrixy lead stuff a la "Couldn't stand the weather". I became what one guy called "the only stevie ray clone on earth with a Les Paul.". In retrospect, not really a title I wanted, which is why I moved on, taste and style-wise. I can still bring the Texas Flood when the mood strikes, though.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
If you really want to go high end, you could get a Bludotone High Plains Drifter and that with a Soldano SLO (with the SRV mod), Vibroverb, and Super Reverb. Run a pair of Tube Screamers, a Univibe, and a Wah through that (with a vintage strat strung with heavy strings, of course) and you should be in SRV territory.
Strat -> Palomino. Turn down your mids, turn your bass up, turn your treble up but not as much as the bass. Give it a little reverb. Set the volume to slight breakup. Turn the master up a bit to let it breathe and play through your neck pickup mostly.

It's not really that hard of a tone to get, the trouble is that tone is really in your fingers and that no matter how hard you try you're never going to sound like him.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I thought SRV used a Dumble SSS... and yet, I see no mention of one anywhere in this thread.

But yes, Strat + two tubescreamers + Fender-like amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
He used various amps. Fenders were the most common, he also had a Dumble Steel String Singer, and the occasional Marshall.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yeah and now every baby-boomer blues nut and his brother is taking out 2nd mortgages on their houses to own a dumble, convinced it'll make them sound like something other than a generic white bloozer. My my, how the late night doth bring forth the azzhole in me.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by stykerwolf
First time i hear that, you sure? I thought he was loyal to Fender...
the amp behind him in the video is a Dumble SSS
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Yeah and now every baby-boomer blues nut and his brother is taking out 2nd mortgages on their houses to own a dumble, convinced it'll make them sound like something other than a generic white bloozer. My my, how the late night doth bring forth the azzhole in me.

I thought there were only a few hundred Dumbles ever made?

Probably why Ceriatone does good business with the clones.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Yeah there were supposedly around 300, but that doesn't mean a few don't change hands here and there every year. A local tube amp convention boasted an authentic dumble up for auction and the starting bid was 15 grand. I don't suppose it went for much more than that since everyone's bank accounts were probably ravaged from the RV and woodworking conventions.
13-58 gauge strings.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Yeah and now every baby-boomer blues nut and his brother is taking out 2nd mortgages on their houses to own a dumble, convinced it'll make them sound like something other than a generic white bloozer.

Haha, :John Mayer: cough cough

But yeah, I heard he used some Fender Vibroverbs, Twin Reverbs, and Super Reverbs in addition to his Dumbles.