I've been playing for about a couple of months now and still i know nothing about arpeggios! I've looked everywhere and everytime I think I've found something about them it's super retardedly confusing! I've learned my major and minor chords and I've taken the time to learn almost every position of the C major scale that i can find, but I'm still completely stumped when it comes to anything about arpeggios.

Can someone please help me make sense of arpeggios!
Arpeggios are sort of scales that contain only chord tones. For example, if you have a C major chord, the major triad would be C E G. That means the arpeggio would also contain only the notes C E G. If you play only those notes and nothing else, you're playing the arpeggio.

I'm not entirely certain if this information is correct, because i haven't studied arpeggios that much yet.
When you play a C major chord you play the notes simultaneous but when you play C major arpeggio you play the notes of the chord successively.

e----------|
B--------1-|
G------0---|
D----2-----|
A--3-------|
E----------|
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Aug 8, 2009,
Arpeggios are the notes of a chord played seperately. Your problem with not knowing arpeggios is you've learned by patterns rather than theory. Learn by music theory and every new chord you learn you'll have learnt the notes in its arpeggio. HOw you arrange those notes when playing an arpeggio is what makes them unique to the player.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
in a nut shell an arpeggio is just the notes of a chord played individually. To make it a little easier to under stand i suggest learning a little on scale degrees, and chord construction. Just go to google and type those terms in and you should find many sources on the subjects.
Quote by habits
When you play a C major chord you play the notes simultaneous but when you play C major arpeggio you play the notes successively.

e----------|
B--------1-|
G------0---|
D----2-----|
A--3-------|
E----------|

this^

but make sure you are not not playing "shapes" up and down, you play the notes of the chord

for example, an A arpeggio could be is this

|----------0-5
|0-4
|

not this

|
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Aug 8, 2009,
And when playing an arpeggio you can basically go higher and higher in the arpeggio until you reach the horizontal edge of the fretboard (fret 24), right? I mean, playing the notes in the chord higher and higher.
Quote by KoenDercksen
Yea it doesnt matter wether you play the C on the 3rd fret of the a string or on the 15th fret or where ever you can play it :P

That rocks
There are very good lessons here on UG about arpeggios. A matter of fact there is a lesson on just about everything guitar related here on UG.