I use a medium gauge dunlop pick. I was wondering the difference between thick and thin picks though.
Thick, sharp picks are good for soloing, while thin picks are cool for chording.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Quote by user_nameless
Thick, sharp picks are good for soloing, while thin picks are cool for chording.

I always find it when at concerts a lot of the guitarists have thrown out very very thin picks - I've caught Stratovarius, Children of Bodom and Firewind picks and their guitarists are amazingly talented. I cannot use thin ones for soloing whatsoever, dunno why.
Thickness.

Apparently thickness does something or other for tone.

I just use thick ones because I don't wear through them as fast.
I love dunlop nylon .60's (the dark gray ones). Thin and flexible, but not flimsy. I find these more useable overall for myself. I find strumming very fluent and full rythms on my acoustics much easier to strum with these than with "regular" guage picks and I also find them great for sweeps and tremolo picking. I seem to break my strings less when using thinner picks like the nylon .60 and the picks break on me a lot more often than strings, which is easier on the pockets.

The only thing I prefer thick picks for are pinch harmonics. The nylons tend to bend on me when I try pinch harmonics with them, which usually results in absolute failure lol.
Thicker picks also make your strums louder.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
I like them as hard as possible, because i like to feel in control over chords and stuff
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
its hard to play fast with thin picks for me personally...they always bend to much for really fast alternate picking
I've been using this planet waves extra heavy pick for almost 2 years
it's perfect...

i tend to use my fender extra heavy for leads

but i;ve noticed i've been using dunlop .38 for sweeps

i get a weird echoy sound
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
About a half a millimetre.
<badum-cheeee>

Thick picks are stiffer, I prefer them for fast rhythm work.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by pak1351
about a millimeter. A whole one, mr stabxyou

Now that's a thick pick.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I'm extremley good at tremelo picking and I use really thin picks. If you get used to them they can give you so many benifits. Sweep picking is also easier. I use .50 mm Dunlop picks.
Quote by STABxYOU
Now that's a thick pick.

I used to think the 1.14 jazz were thick, now i found the joys of 2.5mm, and want to try 3. It's a slippery slope
Quote by pak1351
I used to think the 1.14 jazz were thick, now i found the joys of 2.5mm, and want to try 3. It's a slippery slope

I like a 3 for bass, and 1.14 sharkfins for guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
1mm Dunlop blue tortex ftw
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
The difference is the feel and sound. I personally find small, thick picks (Dunlop stubbies) great for soloing and also metal rhythm, while thin picks I prefer for strumming and playing rock/blues type rhythm.
Quote by pak1351

That's what she said!!
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Quote by grimms
I always find it when at concerts a lot of the guitarists have thrown out very very thin picks - I've caught Stratovarius, Children of Bodom and Firewind picks and their guitarists are amazingly talented. I cannot use thin ones for soloing whatsoever, dunno why.

Exactly, they throw away the ones they don't want
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I prefer .73 mm picks because they don't bend as easily as the really thin ones. Thicker ones are cool, but they seem to drag across the strings too much for me.
y'know...i should do a good, full, statistical analysis of the accuracy of pick thickness. see how close the companies really are at ".60 mm"

find a good std. deviation, get a bell curve going, run some t-tests on different batches, the whole nine yards.
I use a 2.05 Jazzmaster. Its a great pick, does the world. I never thought I would be a heavy pick man, but was I wrong.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Typically, metal and hard rock is done with pretty thick picks. However, BFMV play with .50s. It's really all about personal preference, but you really cant go wrong with Dunlop Tortex .73
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09