Does the ampunt of ohms make a differance in volume?

For expale is 4ohms not as loud as 16ohms

Thanks, lewis

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Im not entirely sure but ohms refers to the resistance a speaker has in accordance to the power of the speaker so it more depends on whats driving the speaker than how many ohms it has... this maybe totally wrong tho so a few more people could add more to this or tell you something different
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
fewer ohms means less resistance, so generally fewer ohms can mean greater volume, but there isnt a perfect direct correlation.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
I believe its the opposite. If you're running an amp with a 4 ohm output through a 4 ohm cab its gonna be louder than the same amp run through an 8 ohm cab and so on. The higher the resistance of the cab compared to the output of the amp, the less volume.

However, thats not to say an amp with a 4 ohm output into a 4 ohm cab will be louder than an amp with a 8 ohm output into an 8 ohm cab.
right so im gonna be gettin the blackstar ht5 and a 2x12 i just wasnt sure what 2x12 to get taking into account the ohms. I know that the amp has 1x8ohm and and 2x16ohms so was wondering which would be louder??

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
Really I don't think that running the same amp through two separate outputs with different impedance ratings will have much of an affect on the volume (I could very well be wrong though). However, if you were to run the 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm cab you'd probably find that the was slightly less volume than if you ran it into an 8 ohm cab.
well i think what im gonna do is get an 8ohm mono 16ohm stereo cab thn i do have either option. Ive looked around and all i can really find for my budget of £190 was a laney but still had decent speakers in. Any other ideas?

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
to use the 2X16ohm, you would need TWO 16ohm cabs.

the impedance of the amp is 8 ohms; this means you can use an 8ohm cab or 2x16ohm cabs, both of which add up to 8 ohms
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by jeowy
to use the 2X16ohm, you would need TWO 16ohm cabs.

the impedance of the amp is 8 ohms; this means you can use an 8ohm cab or 2x16ohm cabs, both of which add up to 8 ohms

I'm not an impedance expert but I'm pretty sure that 2x16 ohm cabs would have an impedance of 16 ohms because you would take half the impedance of the first cab and add it to half the impedance of the second (16/2+16/2=16)
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm not an impedance expert but I'm pretty sure that 2x16 ohm cabs would have an impedance of 16 ohms because you would take half the impedance of the first cab and add it to half the impedance of the second (16/2+16/2=16)
nope, thats only if you're running in series, which would be much more complicated than using the basic parallel setup.

EDIT:
I've taken a look at the HT-5 for you TS; it has an 8-ohm output OR a 16-ohm output, but the 8-ohm output is split into two.

This leaves you with 4-options;
1 16-ohm cab @ 16 ohms
1 8-ohm cab @ 8 ohms
2 16-ohm cabs @ 8 ohms series
2 16-ohm cabs @ 8 ohms parallel
Quote by mr.happyman
Last edited by jeowy at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by jeowy
nope, thats only if you're running in series, which would be much more complicated than using the basic parallel setup.

Well I tried

Like I said, I'm not an expert on this kinda stuff but I do have a tiny bit of knowledge

Ok to clarify,

The ohmage determines how easy the speaker is to drive so the lower the impedance of the speaker the easier it is to drive or the lower voltage is needed to drive it (v=ir)

A 4ohm speaker will be louder than a 16ohm speaker being driven by the same amplifier but it will also have slightly different tonal characteristics.

the impedance works like this

for series wired, add up the impedances

for parallel wiring half the impedance

this is is the same for any component.
the blackstar HT-5 is a tube, so mixing and matching ohms isn't a good idea.

I have the amp, and these are the options:

1X16ohm
1X8ohm
or
2X16ohm cabs
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I think im gonna go 4 the 1x8ohm they seem the easiest and cheapest ones to get hold of and there are a lot of brands to choose from.

Thanks for the help, lewis

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!