Page 1 of 2
(I would appreciate it if you would try to refrain from the comments like "No duh dumbass!" and stuff like that) So basically, I was at Guitar Center today. When I first walked through the door, I saw the Dave Mustaine signature model, so I go and start playing some Megadeth licks. It was awefully smooth. I then see the Synyster Gates Schecter custom, and I go and play "Afterlife" on it. Very easy to play. I started noticing that with all the signature guitars, playing that guitarists music was the easiest. Weird huh? Is it a little sad that I just now realized that someones music is a lot easier to play on their guitar? lol
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Didn't you try playing Megadeth on the Schecter?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'm not really sure that's true, but whatever floats your boat.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Didn't you try playing Megadeth on the Schecter?

Yeah I did do that. I played music from all different artists on all the different guitars I tried (felt a little like a dick playing Master of Puppets on Dave Mustaines guitar) and i noticed with all the different signatures that the guitarists music is easiest on their own guitars. Sort of a "duh" moment, don't ya think?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

Quote by simpleben09
Sort of a "duh" moment, don't ya think?

Actually, not so.
The majority of posters in the thread had seemed to be unaware of it also.
Quote by Merciless Tengo
Actually, not so.
The majority of posters in the thread had seemed to be unaware of it also.

Yeah, I sort of noticed it. But doesn't it seem logical that when people would be writing music on their custom guitars, it would be easiest to play on that very guitar? Or at least a guitar of the exact same build?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by XianXiuHong
What?

The only signature model I've ever played is the PGM301 and playing PG songs on it was about as hard as it was on any other guitar.

Lawl, I was just gonna ask if playing Paul Gilbert is easier on his sig.
Quote by natel0083
Lawl, I was just gonna ask if playing Paul Gilbert is easier on his sig.

Lol they didnt have Paul's guitar at my guitar center. It's like the outlet stores of all outlets stores
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by MLilienthal
that doesn't logically make sense it is just a psychological thing

Well, it worked So that's all that really matters
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Maybe in your hands it seemed easier. But your hands are nothing like my hands. To say playing an specific artists music on their guitar is easier is a silly thing to assert. How "playable" a guitar is, is totally subjective. Plus, it could've just been a like a dumbo's feather effect.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Last edited by GuitarNinja12 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by sashki
That's a nice way to call it.

wth is a dumbos feather effect?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
(forgive me I haven't read all the responses.)

That is bollocks.
Every guitarist is different, guitars aren't engineered for certain songs.
It was probably your mind telling you that, like how some people think that playing an Ibanez set up exactly the same as a Fender will be "faster".
closer to an artist's sound? probably.

easier to play their stuff? not at all.

the exception would be that it would be hard to play Vai on a Les Paul because there's no floyd. THAT would be easier on a Jem that has a floating bridge. but you could play Vai on anything with a floating bridge
Quote by devit
wth is a dumbos feather effect?

If you haven't seen the movie, the mouse gives him a crow's feather and tells him it will let him fly. Really, the feather has no actual determination in his ability to fly, but the psychological effect which makes him believe he could allowed him to fly.

If you're wondering how an elephant flew, it's an old Disney cartoon movie and supposedly his big ears allowed him to do so.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
(forgive me I haven't read all the responses.)

That is bollocks.
Every guitarist is different, guitars aren't engineered for certain songs.
It was probably your mind telling you that, like how some people think that playing an Ibanez set up exactly the same as a Fender will be "faster".

Not exactly. Even if a fender were set up the same way as an ibanez, there are sooooo many determining factor involving its ability to play well. Neck width, scale length, amount of frets, and other stuff like that are all attributes that you can't really change in a set up that will definetly make it easier or harder to shred
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

I wish that were the case but simply it's just not true unfortunately. Although i've been able to sorta play some of Michael Romeo's stuff it hasn't made it any easier at all.
Maybe it was your mind that was like "OMG! I'm gonna be so and so from this band when I play this guitar."

So it was all psychological and you're crazy.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Maybe it was your mind that was like "OMG! I'm gonna be so and so from this band when I play this guitar."

So it was all psychological and you're crazy.

or.... you can blow a goat? at the least, each professional guitarists signature guitar is made to work best in their style of music, so stfu
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
or.... you can blow a goat? at the least, each professional guitarists signature guitar is made to work best in their style of music, so stfu

He does have a point though it could just be a psychologic advantage.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
He does have a point though it could just be a psychologic advantage.

it does offer a psychological advantage, but not a very big one.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
it does offer a psychological advantage, but not a very big one.

That depends on the person. I wouldn´t underestimate the psychological advantage of playing a guitar that clicks with you.
The Malmsteen strat actually does help you acheive Malmsteen super vibrato because of the scallops.
Unfortunately the Michael Romeo doesn't help with playing any quicker although I do appear to have gained a few pounds :S
Quote by simpleben09
or.... you can blow a goat? at the least, each professional guitarists signature guitar is made to appeal to fanboy kids with too much money , so stfu

fixed
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Unfortunately the Michael Romeo doesn't help with playing any quicker although I do appear to have gained a few pounds :S

You are a fanboy kid with too much money.
Quote by Vlasco
You are a fanboy kid with too much money.

Hahaha supposedly I am but then again only Capa Dellinger with maple fretboard and a white paintjob so I guess being a fanboy with too money didn't hurt in my case
Quote by simpleben09

No offense mate but no need to get overly defensive... Honestly, think logically and tell me a physical advantage those guitars might give? The pickups etc might help you achieve their sound.. But playability wise there isn't ANYTHING that could have that effect afaik...

To illustrate this, if you were right about the physical advantage: that guitar should make playing both A tout le monde and Hangar 18 easier to play, but the songs got an entire different feel to play, one is a balad, the other isn't, so how does that make sense? A guitar that makes songs of JUST one band easier to play, even though they got alot of different songs with different feels, but songs of other bands with the same feel appear harder to play?

This makes me believe it's just a psychological advantage. You prob were all "Wow... Dave Mustaine can play that song amazingly well with this guitar so I must be able to do it too!"
Quote by Gego
No offense mate but no need to get overly defensive... Honestly, think logically and tell me a physical advantage those guitars might give? The pickups etc might help you achieve their sound.. But playability wise there isn't ANYTHING that could have that effect afaik...

To illustrate this, if you were right about the physical advantage: that guitar should make playing both A tout le monde and Hangar 18 easier to play, but the songs got an entire different feel to play, one is a balad, the other isn't, so how does that make sense? A guitar that makes songs of JUST one band easier to play, even though they got alot of different songs with different feels, but songs of other bands with the same feel appear harder to play?

This makes me believe it's just a psychological advantage. You prob were all "Wow... Dave Mustaine can play that song amazingly well with this guitar so I must be able to do it too!"

ugh.... How many times am I going to have to explain this? Yes, it is a psychological effect TO A DEGREE. the guitar was designed by them for their music, so if you were able to make your own guitar, wouldn't you want to make it best fit for your own music? Granted, my hands are different than Dave's or Synyster's or Kirk's, but still, they designed their own guitar for their music, so it's pretty logical that it would be easier to play their music on their guitars? Also, I wasnt saying that Dave's licks got harder on the Synyster Custom, what I was saying was that A7X music was the easiest on Synyster's guitar.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
Not exactly. Even if a fender were set up the same way as an ibanez, there are sooooo many determining factor involving its ability to play well. Neck width, scale length, amount of frets, and other stuff like that are all attributes that you can't really change in a set up that will definetly make it easier or harder to shred

My point was people think that Ibanez guitars are "faster" than Fender and other brands because of their reputation, it's all down to taste.
But some people make themselves think that it's easier to play on an Ibanez because it's the popular choice for shredding and whatnot.
Quote by simpleben09
ugh.... How many times am I going to have to explain this? Yes, it is a psychological effect TO A DEGREE. the guitar was designed by them for their music, so if you were able to make your own guitar, wouldn't you want to make it best fit for your own music? Granted, my hands are different than Dave's or Synyster's or Kirk's, but still, they designed their own guitar for their music, so it's pretty logical that it would be easier to play their music on their guitars? Also, I wasnt saying that Dave's licks got harder on the Synyster Custom, what I was saying was that A7X music was the easiest on Synyster's guitar.

You're just not getting it. The fact is that currently, most signature guitars are just already mass produced models with cosmetic changes and just a few different details (trem type, pickups, controls, fret number, string number, neck finish). Though these can, indeed, make a difference playability wise, the neck profile and fretboard radius for instance are very often the same as the other models'. Of course, there are exceptions like JEMs, or Satriani's sig (these are just the first that came to my mind), but really... Most sigs are all in all the same as the corresponding models of the standard production line which the artists were fond of for some reason and adopted as a sig base. So what you're saying isn't that valid.

My 2 cents, thats all.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Page 1 of 2