Page 1 of 2
Do any of these exist? The only 18" ive ever heard of is the SWR Big Ben, but that's a 1x18.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
An 8x18, wouldn't that be the size of a small house? Also, what uses are there for it other than making tuneless rumbling sounds?
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
rather have a 4x15.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom

8x18

how would that get transported? A wide load flatbed?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by thegiaco2112
8x18 you could hit the brown note without sweating

That or blow a crowd over.

That would be some sight to behold though. I'd just stare in awe and walk away back to the realm of practicality though.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Bassist Rising
Do any of these exist? The only 18" ive ever heard of is the SWR Big Ben, but that's a 1x18.

And I thought my Ampeg 8X10 fridge was big. You'd need a crew to move it and a seperate truck!
I'm an agent of the devil, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
Wait, is there an underlying assumption that an 818 would sound coherent at all?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Bassist Rising
The lowest power (handling) rating that I've seen for an 18" speaker is 500 watts with a 3" voice coil, the total wattage handling would 4000 watts, what amp would you be using to drive those 8x3" voice coils.
18"s are not particularly efficient for Bass Guitar due to their limited sensitivity and frequency range, you're much better off using 15s in a mixture with others such as 10s or 12s plus HF.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Sounds like a beast! DO WANT!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

For the sheer brutality of needing a 4kW amp to run it and the fact that you would actually need a flatbed to move it, I hope it exists somewhere. I'd throw in a tweeter though, one would cover it, right?

With that said, I've seen professional sound systems with fewer subs than that.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by slaptasticdave

8x18

how would that get transported? A wide load flatbed?

A small crane could work, maybe a van and a big-ass trailer.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by thegiaco2112
but like fitz said it won't sound good

Id go ahead and say that it wouldnt sound like anything but the effect of putting all the windows down while driving on the highway.

Youd could have your band play shows in trainyards and just bring it along that way.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by higgins666
Well, there's an 18" cab in a local shop to me... maybe get 8 of those & run 4 heads in stereo.... that would be br00talz
Most gigs in the UK are pubs where you
A) Wouldn't need that many cabs.
B) You wouldn't get an audience in as well.
C) Big rigs were in their heyday before decent FOH rigs existed.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift

Oh I know that one well You have your local audience, but it's very disappointing when you're beyond your area and rely on the other bands to get an audience in so you can steal their fans, and it's just... flat.
Quote by John Swift

Yeah, I know, just incase it didn't come across though, I was being sarcastic
Quote by higgins666
I can imagine that could sound pretty good

No it wouldnt, not at all. To get them to sound good youd need to stack the vertically, so you would have it 8 15" speakers high, it wouldnt be practical.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Since we're in the realm of impossibility, what about a 2x72"? Six foot speaker?

In all seriousness, doesn't A7X use speakers somewhere around that size live? I remember seeing a video where they had gigantic speakers with diameters that were around how tall they were. But maybe it was a dream. Good dream if it was.
I'd like to know what video this ^ is.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
I'd like to know what video this ^ is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub0Z-XPmYCg somewhere around 0:43 behind who I believe to be Synyster (Don't know, sorry) there is what looks to be a big speaker. I'm not sure if it's painted on a cloth grille and there are speakers behind it or not.

And to TS, the stack I play with at school has a cab that has what appears to be two nines and an 18. It's a peavey, almost 30 years old. Will try to bring pics tomorrow.
^ The Peavey 1018. Didn't Rick used to own one?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ Thank you so much. I've been wondering what it is since I first used it. Actually, I'm thinking of buying it from the school, along with the Mark IV head, wondering if 200 USD would be a good deal?
Make it....just do it.

It would be br00tal.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by fatgoogle
No it wouldnt, not at all. To get them to sound good youd need to stack the vertically, so you would have it 8 15" speakers high, it wouldnt be practical.

Depends on the venue, and it would only be about 9' high. Side by side would work too though.
So why do we want 8 speakers that have a frequency response typically topping out at 2kHz? Does anybody know anything about bass cabs here (except John Swift; he invented them).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
So why do we want 8 speakers that have a frequency response typically topping out at 2kHz? Does anybody know anything about bass cabs here (except John Swift; he invented them).

I hear he taught Mozart the major pentatonic!

but I don't.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by thefitz
Thanks 'Fitz'; I took this newly completed set up out on an outdoor charity gig yesterday. The top cab has Eminence 250 watt Beta 10"s + tweeter, the bottom is a 15" Emenince 450 watt Neo Kappalite + tweeter.
I was using an Ashdown 'Little Giant 1000' to drive it.

G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
What'd you set the tweeter crossover at? The same for each cab or where each speaker starts to roll off (i.e. 5kHz for the 10s and 3kHz for the 15)?

On my Mesa 212 there's a variable crossover switch (3k/4k/5k). With the 12s and the crossover set to 4kHz with a wee bit of a roll back on the tweeter volume (maybe -0.1 to -0.2db less than flat) it's absolutely perfect.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by thefitz
What'd you set the tweeter crossover at? The same for each cab or where each speaker starts to roll off (i.e. 5kHz for the 10s and 3kHz for the 15)?

On my Mesa 212 there's a variable crossover switch (3k/4k/5k). With the 12s and the crossover set to 4kHz with a wee bit of a roll back on the tweeter volume (maybe -0.1 to -0.2db less than flat) it's absolutely perfect.

3.5Khz; just to add a little zing, no attenuator just HPF.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Page 1 of 2