So, me and a friend are starting ourselves up a metal band and i really need a new guitar. Atm i'm playing a SG copy made by a company called Vintage. I played it tiday and it felt really nice (and we were playing through a Spider so yeah it must be pretty sweet) but i was wondering whether there are any problems that could become apparent in the future.The guitar only has one pickup which is slightly odd and I was wondering if this would ever become a real problem. Also, what else would you recommend both Guitar and Amp wise for playing in a Metal band?
What's your budget?
Where do you live?

And I'd give a yay to the exotic warlock, judging from the specs.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by willT08
Budget for the Guitar is about £500, and i live in the UK
I'm talking more about the amp. You found your guitar. You played it, and it felt nice. And the specs are great IMO.

Is 500 GBP the same budget for your amp?

And please be more specific with your location. Don't worry, I'm not a stalker. I'm just asking so I can go on your local classifieds and help you find a good amp for a cheap price.

And their is advantages and dis-advantages to having one pickup. It's easier wiring, and if you want to change the pickup it will be easier. However, with one pickup the guitar isn't as versatile as a guitar with a neck pickup.
I'm from Hertfordshire, a little north of London. I'd prefer to spend a little less on an Amp because i don't know how serious this band will be. All i really need is kickass Gain and thick Lows
Quote by willT08
I'm from Hertfordshire, a little north of London. I'd prefer to spend a little less on an Amp because i don't know how serious this band will be. All i really need is kickass Gain and thick Lows
I couldn't find anything on local classifieds.

Look into the B-52 AT-112 since you most likely will have to go new unless you try Ebay.
Quote by willT08
I's rather go new, i don't likebuying stuff i've never seen in front of me.
I follow this rule as well. That's why I only go on local classifieds.

Try the B-52 AT-112 then.
Quote by willT08
Sweet, will do. How much is it gonna cost me?
It should be around 220 GBP if the converter I'm using is correct.
Sweet, nice fair price. Btw, is it tubes or SS? and also, how much would a 212 cost?
Definitely check out a Bugera 6262 or 333XL within that price range, as well as the B-52.

And the B-52 you're looking at is a tube amp.

Also, personally I am not a fan of BC Rich guitars as they tend to feel very cheap. There are several Jacksons, Ibanez's, Esp/LTD and other much better brands that produce guitars I'm sure you would love.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Last edited by funkymonkz at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by willT08
Sweet, nice fair price. Btw, is it tubes or SS? and also, how much would a 212 cost?
It's an all tube amp.

They dis-continued the 212. But 112 can do gigs and band practice. Trust me. 60 watts tube is a lot.

Also, personally I am not a fan of BC Rich guitars as they tend to feel very cheap. There are several Jacksons, Ibanez's, Esp/LTD and other much better brands that produce guitars I'm sure you would love.
Did you try a low end BC Rich? This guy is talking about a high end BC Rich. No BC Rich I've played in the mid-high range felt cheap.
shame about the 212, why was it discontinued? and anyway, i'll try and play a b-52 on Monday.Is the Bugera a Tube amp as well?
Yes. the Bugera's are tube amps, you might also like the Randall RG50-TC which is another good tube amp withing your budget.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by willT08
shame about the 212, why was it discontinued? and anyway, i'll try and play a b-52 on Monday.Is the Bugera a Tube amp as well?
The Bugera's are tube amps, but the quality of the amps are a little iffy. It's supposed to be fixed now, but people are still complaining.

And I have no clue why they dis-continued the 212.
I'd really prefer a Tube amp just because i've never had one before so i fancy trying one out. As to the comments about other possible guitars, today i played a : Ibanez RG7something (Pretty nice, considered buying it), a Tokai Explorer (Failed Hard) and the BC Rich Exotic Warlock (Best neck (even better than the Ibanez) nice tone on both clean and overdrive and thats what impressed me most, the versatility) plus great wood choice and finish. Only problem i see is the single pickup thing but i really enjoyed it's warm tone and it gets really crunchy on OD. I'll go play it again sometime and do a test with the Ibanez on that Randall you recommended just becausei knowmy store stocks them.
Quote by willT08
I'd really prefer a Tube amp just because i've never had one before so i fancy trying one out. As to the comments about other possible guitars, today i played a : Ibanez RG7something (Pretty nice, considered buying it), a Tokai Explorer (Failed Hard) and the BC Rich Exotic Warlock (Best neck (even better than the Ibanez) nice tone on both clean and overdrive and thats what impressed me most, the versatility) plus great wood choice and finish. Only problem i see is the single pickup thing but i really enjoyed it's warm tone and it gets really crunchy on OD. I'll go play it again sometime and do a test with the Ibanez on that Randall you recommended just becausei knowmy store stocks them.
The Randall is a great amp. I'd recommend it also.

EDIT: The Randall is 420 GBP, so it might be over your budget.
I really like this guitar and think it would be a good buy for what you are looking to do with it. As for the whole neck pickup issue a lot of times I have found that if you have a decent guitar with a decent pickup and know how to work the volume and tone knob you can produce a pretty wide range of sounds.
Quote by burnboy85
I also an slighly interested in the warlock. Is there a push pull on any of the knobs for somthing? And where can I buy one in the US?
There's no push pull knobs as I know of.

And the guitar is dis-continued, however you can buy one used on musiciansfriend.com for a great price of like $450 which is a steal.
there's only one knob and it's volume control. Thing about this guitar is that it needs a good amp. In itself it's very simplistic but just delivers amazing tone. Get a good amp and you're set my friend. Swap out the Pup for a Bareknuckle of some sort and you've got a beast of Metal Axe i reckon, but it also plays cleans very well.

EDIT: Didn't know it had been dis-continued, there's one just hanging up in my local Guitar shop. Hopefully it will still be around when i've got all my money together.
Last edited by willT08 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by willT08
there's only one knob and it's volume control. Thing about this guitar is that it needs a good amp. In itself it's very simplistic but just delivers amazing tone. Get a good amp and you're set my friend. Swap out the Pup for a Bareknuckle of some sort and you've got a beast of Metal Axe i reckon, but it also plays cleans very well.

EDIT: Didn't know it had been dis-continued, there's one just hanging up in my local Guitar shop. Hopefully it will still be around when i've got all my money together.
I'm wrong. According to BC Rich's site the Exotic Warlock is still in production.

Musiciansfriend told me it was dis-continued, but clearly they are wrong.
Thank god, i just crapped myself thinking some collector would come snap it up. lol