ok i am trying to learn guitar with the progressive beginner guitar book and iam lost on lesson 2. the small piece i am trying it play is in 4/4 and has two measures. the first measure starts with a half note set at open B fallowed by two quarter notes set on C than D. the first measure also has a G (for G chord) above the half note. the next measure is four 8th notes going D, C, B, A. this second measure has a D7 (for D7th chore) above the first 8th note of the measure.

this is how the tab portion of the book is wrote.

------------------------------|-------------------------------|
-----0----------1-----3-----|----3-----1-----0------------|
------------------------------|------------------------2-----|

also at the top of the mage is a box that says rythum pattern half note strum

V---V---
1 2 3 4

the thing i cant figure out is if i am strumming chords the whole time or if i am strumming the chords then playing the indovidual notes fallowed by another strum.

i am also not sure what string to strum from, if G chord starts at 6th string, why does it tell me to strike the open B string. this is assuming iam reading the book right.

i find this book confusing.

the piece is from Ode To Joy.
Last edited by ghost1986 at Aug 8, 2009,
You don't play the chords and the notes together. Typically, one person would play the chords, and another would play the individual notes. You might call these a "rythmn" and "lead" player.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
You don't play the chords and the notes together. Typically, one person would play the chords, and another would play the individual notes. You might call these a "rythmn" and "lead" player.
This. /thread.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea