hello, ive been lookin to buy EMG pickups, please dont recomend me other manufacturers ive made up my mind
but looking at the EMG pickups im kinda confused which is the best, at the moment my slots for guitar would be s s h, for the bridge i want either
81, 81x, 81tw
81 i asume is standard, 81x with more headroom..., and 81tw is a double coil, so which one out of all these three is the best?
for the middle and neck my options are:
sa
sa x better then sa coz more headroom
s better then sa coz noiseless
sx better then sa an i think combines sa x and s qualities

so which is hest for the humbucker bridge, middle and neck single coils?
plz write back someone and dont mind me noobness lol

oh and another thing
what about the 89 and 89r, their double coils, but so is the 81tw, and over 89 and 89r i asume the 89r is better, but what about 89r and the humbuckers stated above?

musical preference:
limp bizkit, clean tones and distorted too, varied really

guitar: Ibanez GSA60 Electric Guitar Black (single single humbucker)
Last edited by dareheaven at Aug 8, 2009,
I would take an 85 in the bridge any day over an 81. that being said, it depends on what you want out of the pickup. do you want to have the option for coil tapping? do you want to have a fixated amout of headroom (81x)? My suggestion is that you go with the regular 81 or 85 if you decide, and do the 18v mod. That way if you don't like all the headroom, you can reverse the mod bringing the pickup back to its original state. can't do that with the 81x you're just stuck if you don't like it. cheers
thankts twist
but to be honest i dont know about all the technicality in pickups yet
im not even sure wat headroom is to be honest, neither coil tapping

so the x series gives you more headroom, but with the standard you can add the battery to give more headroom anyway?
Quote by dareheaven
thankts twist
but to be honest i dont know about all the technicality in pickups yet
im not even sure wat headroom is to be honest, neither coil tapping

so the x series gives you more headroom, but with the standard you can add the battery to give more headroom anyway?

You probably shouldn't be looking for new pickups yet then, what amp are you playing through?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I agree with twistudriffer.
the 85 works better in the bridge than an 81 so i recommend you take that.
but if you dont want to get the 85 id say to take the 81 over the others. My guitar ( Ibanez RG 470) has an 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge ( and a hole in the middle XD ) so thats just my opinion.
it probably would have been helpful if you had of told us a bit more about your guitar/musical preference though
Quote by twistudriffer
I would take an 85 in the bridge any day over an 81. that being said, it depends on what you want out of the pickup. do you want to have the option for coil tapping? do you want to have a fixated amout of headroom (81x)? My suggestion is that you go with the regular 81 or 85 if you decide, and do the 18v mod. That way if you don't like all the headroom, you can reverse the mod bringing the pickup back to its original state. can't do that with the 81x you're just stuck if you don't like it. cheers

+1
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
so ppl saying 85, but wat about the subs after those, the 85x ?

81, 81x, 81tw, which one of each is best?

and need to know about
sa
sa x
s
sx
Sorry to say, but you'd be better off buying a new guitar rather than putting some EMGs into the piece you're playing now.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
what does it matter what amp im playing through im askin which is best outa what i asked, i dont use an amp i use pod x3 live
It matters because it affects the sound more than pickups will. Always think buying pickups as the last adjustment to tone.

If you want a new guitar, yeah the buy a new amp is crap anwser. But for this thread it actually applies.
Ibanez.
Fine then just stick with an 81/SA/S that would get you your sounds. And really there is no 'best' it's all just personal preference.
ok ignore the amp coz i setup my tones carefully and take my time with them, and ok so there is no best, what is the main difference better these could someone please answer im looking to buy my emgs either today or tomorrow
need to know differences plz
another thing you said was 81/SA/S, how come you said sa/s
is sa for middle and s for neck?
or can they both be sa?
i also found this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMG-S-S-85-SSH-Active-Electric-Guitar-Pickup-Set_W0QQitemZ260451908703QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca424bc5f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

but im curious the 85, aint that supposed to be for the neck? if so why would they have the neck one because i dont know any guitar that have a setup of neck (humbucker) middle and bridge (single)
:S
I am sure most of the popular EMG's are not position specific.

SA can be placed in all strat positions. I am sure he stated a S for more versatility.

I am sure 90% of the feedback has stopped because you mentioned you are buying emgs for a pod.
Ibanez.