I know a ton of theory from saxophone, and have already memorized all the scale patterns and notes on the fretboard. The problem is not my knowing theory, but how to pick. I never feel comfortable picking, I'm constantly changing how I hold it, and I'm getting frustrated because rather than learning new songs, progressions, etc. I'm trying to pick properly above all else.

Does picking come with time, do I need to change picks/styles, or is there another factor?

edit: so when I try and get motivated to pick up the guitar and practice, it's not about learning something new, and I don't say to myself "today I will practice guitar", it's more like, "how is my picking going to limit me today?"
Last edited by gardon at Aug 8, 2009,
its a with time thing. check out some paul gilbert exercises. he has phrases that help build your inside/outside picking alternate/economy picking and string skips practice those at a SLOW tempo and build up. Once you can nail paul gilberts licks at tempo picking will be second nature
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
find how its most comfortable for you, also try out different types of pics.
Quote by TechnoLp
its a with time thing. check out some paul gilbert exercises. he has phrases that help build your inside/outside picking alternate/economy picking and string skips practice those at a SLOW tempo and build up. Once you can nail paul gilberts licks at tempo picking will be second nature

also this.

Quote by huskyplayer
be an optimist retard

Nice bashing... and not helping at all. *reported*
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Aug 8, 2009,
At huskyplayer:

Ok? Usually when you're trying to get better at something it's good to see progress. I haven't seen any. I'm trying to see if anyone else has this problem, so go **** yourself if you haven't supportive things to say.
Don't think of how it will limit you, but how you are limiting it.

I find that doing daily chromatic excercises is the only way to develop a good pick hand, among other things.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
ar you mad that you cant pick the strings "right" or how your holding the pick itself?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I find that doing daily chromatic excercises is the only way to develop a good pick hand, among other things.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I guess both. I really need to get a teacher. Being self taught sucks because I don't know if I'm starting out right or not. I'm wondering if I should wait a few months until I come home, or if it would benefit me to start learning it now, even though I may be learning wrong.
^ very true. even just having a teacher for a couple lessons can help. they'll get you started in the right way. you don't want to be one of those people that ends up finding out they have carpal tunnel because they always held the neck wrong.

and i have trouble holding the pick sometimes too. sometimes i hold the pick like this:

which i've heard is the "correct way" but when i started i got into a bad habit of using the tips of my index and middle finger instead of the side of just my index finger. basically if i'm picking i hold it "correctly" and if i'm strumming i hold it the wrong way. i don't think it really matters, it's pretty easy to switch between the two. you're just in jeopardy of dropping your pick
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Aug 8, 2009,
I have that problem too, sort of. For me, it's just that I don't like using the pick. My solution: don't use the pick.
I've been looking into fingerpicking. The problem is I'm into metal. I wonder if I could fingerpick better than flatpicking when it comes to speed. I guess there's only one way to find out.
Be sure you're not making a fist. It's uncomfortable and impractical and I did it for the first few months. Keep your middle, ring and pinky fingers open like you're making a shadow-puppet of a rooster, especially if you ever want to palm-mute something.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60