Right, before I begin I'll say this: I don't actually own an iPod. I don't want to either and I own a record player and I love it.

But there is nothing more annoying than getting on the train/bus/metro and finding some idiot blasting out crappy pop music or rave music from their headphones simply because they can't find the damn volume button.

Also, there is a proven link between high usage of iPods and deafness. I spent my entire teenage years listening to music far too loud and now I'm paying for it with my hearing.

There's also been deaths as people have been listening to their mp3 players whilst out on the road, only to be mown down by the car they didn't hear.

So, would a volume limiter be a possible solution?
Not really, people would just devise workarounds. Better solution is no headphones/obnoxiously loud music in cars. If they want to blow out their own ears at other times, though, let them. It really should NOT be our problem to even consider fixing.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
iPods have a volume limiter that you can set a PIN code to. Have done for ages.

[/thread]

also, I care about my hearing, so even though I don't have the limiter set, I never put mine above about half volume, unless it's plugged into speakers.

edit:
Quote by Karvid
1. iPods are designed to played when you're on the road. Record players are not. Elitism is fun, though.

also this. I have a record player, but as I don't live in the dark ages, I also have an iPod for when I'm not.. you know.. able to carry around something bigger than my penis.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Aug 8, 2009,
1. iPods are designed to played when you're on the road. Record players are not. Elitism is fun, though.
2. There is a limit
3. Natural selection weeds out the idiots who do what you listed
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
there are volume locks on the iPods actually, i have mine set to a proper volume limit. But i guess other people can't be bothered to use it. Oh well at least i keep my hearing.
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Well, they do.

You can set the max yourself.

I think we should focus more on noise-canceling technology to make it cheaper and more available.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
When I say volume limit, I mean a built-in thing where you can't put the iPod above a certain volume full stop, even when turned up to full.
I hate people that play loud music in their car more annoying...no one wants to hear it and it doesnt make you look cool!!!!
Eh, I don't own an iPod either, but I know my PSP has a limiter for that. It's called AVLS. Mainly people want to burst music from their headphones because 1. They think they're cool, and 2. They're assholes. Listening to music is fine, as long as its at a decent level so that you can hear at least something in the outside world. I think the iPod has something like AVLS, but people dont turn it on. I dont have mine on since I an hear fine at full volume - PSPs dont get too loud.
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
When I say volume limit, I mean a built-in thing where you can't put the iPod above a certain volume full stop, even when turned up to full.

Yes, you can set a custom volume limit.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
I never use my iPod with headphones, it's always plugged in to my stereo. So a low volume limit would totally funk my shiz up
Before I start, Fassa is a troll and is very good at it.

Now. This is a stupid question and the answer is COMMON SENSE.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Well, they do.

You can set the max yourself.

I think we should focus more on noise-canceling technology to make it cheaper and more available.

This. If people want to listen to their music loud, knowing the risks, let them. Noise-cancelling technology should definitely be developed further, a lot of the so-called "noise-cancelling" headphones I've used haven't been too great.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Karvid
Yes, you can set a custom volume limit.

But I'm talking about a legally-set limit that is built into the iPod and you can't alter.

Let me put it another way.

I often find myself in the machine shop at uni helping out a friend. For this I have to wear a huge pair of earmuffs as the volume level is above 85dB. This is set in law.

I did a gig a few weeks back and the overall sound couldn't be over 110dB as it would be classified as too dangerous to play then.

So why is it there's limits for these and not for iPods.
No, i have a 30 years war album (or i downloaded all the songs i could find since i cant buy an album by them) and its really really quiet.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
But I'm talking about a legally-set limit that is built into the iPod and you can't alter.

I often find myself in the machine shop at uni helping out a friend. For this I have to wear a huge pair of earmuffs as the volume level is above 85dB. This is set in law.

I did a gig a few weeks back and the overall sound couldn't be over 110dB as it would be classified as too dangerous to play then.

Industrial regulations for the prior, noise code violations for the latter.

Quote by masterohumans
No, i have a 30 years war album (or i downloaded all the songs i could find since i cant buy an album by them) and its really really quiet.

Ever thought it might deliberately be quiet??
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Fascist!
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Ever thought it might deliberately be quiet??

I have a few albums with mix's that are very low, and due to the fact I was BORN with bad hearing, I have to turn them up pretty loud. Just the way it is.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Now why the fuck would you want that?

If you're dumb enough to play music too goddamn loud on an mp3 player, then you probably deserve to lose your hearing.

I think its all bull anyway. Loud music never hurt Lemmy.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by zekk
I have a few albums with mix's that are very low, and due to the fact I was BORN with bad hearing, I have to turn them up pretty loud. Just the way it is.

Ah. I know how you feel. My bad.
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

because different headphones have different volume output levels, different recordings have different levels, etc. And what do you do if you're plugging it into a set of speakers?

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Now why the fuck would you want that?

If you're dumb enough to play music too goddamn loud on an mp3 player, then you probably deserve to lose your hearing.

I think its all bull anyway. Loud music never hurt Lemmy.

What's easier? The Government making this legislation or the Government paying out for the care of these people who go deaf from blasting their ears out?

Why should I in future, a future taxpayer, pay because of the idiocy of a few people?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
What's easier? The Government making this legislation or the Government paying out for the care of these people who go deaf from blasting their ears out?

Why should I in future, a future taxpayer, pay because of the idiocy of a few people?

Those people pay too, you know.

It's not like you're the government's purse.

EDIT: You're still a fascist.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
The government should not dictate how loudly I listen to my music in private.
In outdoor public places, I'm pretty sure the music will be drowned out by all the rest of the sound anyway.
If you're on public transportation, they do have signs up saying that you need to wear headphones. From my experience, it's not really enforced, but it's there.

And, honestly, it really shouldn't be the government's problem how some idiot ruins his hearing.

Personally, I keep my iPod pretty quiet, but when I set my alarm, I hook my iPod onto speakers and turn it pretty loud so I can assure that I actually wake up.

I'm just as annoyed by those idiots who blast music from their crappy phones on buses as much as the next person, but punishing the rest of us because of them is not the solution.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
^exactly. Besides, it's not as if your taxes are going to go up because of this are they? Who gives a fuck what your taxes are spent on, you're still gonna have to pay them.

The government should not dictate how loudly I listen to my music in private.
In outdoor public places, I'm pretty sure the music will be drowned out by all the rest of the sound anyway.
If you're on public transportation, they do have signs up saying that you need to wear headphones. From my experience, it's not really enforced, but it's there.

And, honestly, it really shouldn't be the government's problem how some idiot ruins his hearing.
/QUOTE]

It's the Government's problem when (in the UK certainly) they're the ones funding care and benefits payments for these people.