I've been wanting to experiment with Drop C (I normally use Standard and Drop D) And was wondering if 10-46 gauge will work for that, the reason being is that I'd probably switch between drop C and standard tunings and also I can get a 3 pack of 10-46 strings for $11 and the heavier gauge (12-54) are $5 for one set. My guitar is 25'5 scale (at least I assume, it's a modded squier)

So go or no go?

Thanks for any help
id use the heavier gage but I use very thick strings
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
should be fine..
i use 9-46 and i play in drop C

I wouldn't go lower than .11s for tuning that low.

Yay! thats...not... helping...?!?
Quote by bagpipemetal
Yay! thats...not... helping...?!?

It could work though. I've put a .10-.46 set in drop C. It just felt a bit too loose for me though. I like a little bit of resistance. If you like it loose it will be fine.
My favorite gauge set to use for Drop C is 10-52. The high strings are sort of loose, but there's still a nice tension on the low strings.
Quote by espguitar//
should be fine..
i use 9-46 and i play in drop C

I bet the tone is muddy too.....if you like really riffy metalcore, go up to at least an .11-52....but I'd go thicker
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I use Dunlop ZW 10-46s in Drop C and haven't ever broken one... Should be fine.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
My guitar sounds like crap in D standard or drop C with 10-46. Cheap guitar though.
You can use .10s for dropped c, yes, but it would probably be better to use .11s or .12s....however, I guess it would depend on if you're in standard/dropped d more so than dropped C...because if you're in standard more often, I'd stay stick with the .10s.

But yes, you can do dropped c in .10s. I've done it in .09s before on a 24.75" scale length (I think?) guitar. Yes, the strings do get very loose, so you have to be a bit more conscious of how much pressure you apply while fretting.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by Mack56
My favorite gauge set to use for Drop C is 10-52. The high strings are sort of loose, but there's still a nice tension on the low strings.

+1

i also use 10-52 in drop C and it feels fantastic
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
10-52 is alright for that tuning. 11-52 if you don't play as much lead.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
You might want to look into 10-52's instead of 46's, as the bass strings are thicker so you can get a bit more dig and a chunkier tone.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I play 54-11 in D standard and 56-10 for drop c. You could prolly get away with 52-10 in drop c and still tune it back up to drop d or standard. It really depends on a large amount of things: pick attack, how hard you fret, action of the guitar, etc. But most people can go with 52-10 and not look back.

I myself prefer and advise you to, if you're only using a step down or dropped a step down, to go 54-11 or thicker.
You might snap some strings, but as long as you re-intonate it and adjust the truss rod, you'll be fine.

To TS: I played in Drop C for a while with 10-52s and it felt fine.

Thanks I'll try a set of those and see how it works
12-54.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
Quote by Goldenglove
You might snap some strings, but as long as you re-intonate it and adjust the truss rod, you'll be fine.

You wont snap strings. Thats the set up I use for jazz
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I would have to say...a set of .10-.52 strings would do the trick. Chunky enough for low riffs, but skinny enough for leads and tuning to standard.
I just ordered a set of Beefy Slinky's (11-54) because they were the only set in the size I needed that would come before Saturday (I ordered them from Amazon Prime) And were going to a Church Picnic and there's some of my old Friends that meet after church and hang our and jam. SO hopefully I'll have better luck with these than Ernie Ball's in the past.
I tuned to drop C with 10-46's on my Les Paul, and have no issues with it so you shouldnt on a 25.5" scale. Its all personal preference. Some people don't like the strings that flubby and loose. I don't mind.
I like my stings thick though for palm muting so I think 11-54 will work, would they be too loose in drop B though?
Quote by GuitarDTO
I tuned to drop C with 10-46's on my Les Paul, and have no issues with it so you shouldnt on a 25.5" scale. Its all personal preference. Some people don't like the strings that flubby and loose. I don't mind.

No cuz I like tone
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I've got D'Addario 10 - something on my guitar now (a FR bridge)

I'd like them a little thicker though because I go out of sound of quickly because i bend the strings to much
Quote by sg4ever
I wouldn't go lower than .11s for tuning that low.

this

if you play .9s or .10s in drop C your tone will also be thin and not good sounding.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
i use 10-52 for drop C and it feels great to me
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.