Do I have to do anything special? I just have a normal fender (I think) tremolo system, not a floyd rose or any other floating trem system. If I want to down a step or two, or drop D, do I have to loosen the screws or something? Or can I just tune down normally with the tuning peg?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Do I have to do anything special? I just have a normal fender (I think) tremolo system, not a floyd rose or any other floating trem system. If I want to down a step or two, or drop D, do I have to loosen the screws or something? Or can I just tune down normally with the tuning peg?
I'm pretty sure you can just tune down normally.
if you arent recording professionally then you can just tune down but you will have to retune as the springs that hold the tremolo in place will change tension making it go out of tune. You will have slight intonation but unless you have perfect pitch you wont hear that.
Ok thanks for the quick answer. I heard someone talking about screwing up their tremolo system/breaking strings because they detuned without loosening something, but maybe thats just Floyd Rose.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Ok thanks for the quick answer. I heard someone talking about screwing up their tremolo system/breaking strings because they detuned without loosening something, but maybe thats just Floyd Rose.
Yup, that's only with floyd systems. There's a locking nut you have to unlock before you can change tunings.
Quote by connorhxcchaos
if you arent recording professionally then you can just tune down but you will have to retune as the springs that hold the tremolo in place will change tension making it go out of tune. You will have slight intonation but unless you have perfect pitch you wont hear that.

What do you mean retune? As in I will have to drop all the strings then fine tune again? I don't mine slight intonation problems, i'm just practicing.
Whenever I tune one of them it throws the other off. I've got it now, but is this normal?
Quote by GoldfishMoon
What do you mean retune? As in I will have to drop all the strings then fine tune again? I don't mine slight intonation problems, i'm just practicing.

If you have a normal strat trem, then you won't have fine tuners...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
If you have a normal strat trem, then you won't have fine tuners...

He doesn't mean actual fine tuners. I believe he means that after he tunes everything down, he'll have to go back and fix the strings that went slightly out of tune from tuning the rest of the strings down. And usually you have to do that even with a fixed bridge.
Gear:

Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Agile AL 3100
Yamaha G-40
Roland Microcube
Roland Cube 30X