Our drummer's really gung-ho about the band in general and we've been together for a while. I've known the guy for 3 or 4 years. But his ideas are terrible and he doesn't really complain about a lack of creative control but I can tell that it bothers him. He's a really chill guy, like REALLY chill and pretty cool so I don't want to say anything to tick him off. Like, I can't downright tell him that his ideas are ****ty, but I feel bad rejecting him time and time again. And he keeps up, he doesn't quite get the message after his repeated rejections. If you want a taste of his ideas, here are some:
Band names:
The Musical Bears
Shoot the Moon
there are countless others but those two I remember
He also loves the Foo Fighters for whatever reason and he keeps wanting to cover them even though we suck at covering them and we're trying to focus on originals. AND I CAN'T GET HIM TO STOP.
Any ideas?
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Wait...

The Musical Bears? What are you guys doing covering Foo Fighters?!

*holds up lighter*

WIGGLES!!!!
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Quote by pensiveintensiv
Tell him that drummers aren't allowed creative input.

Well I'd like him to have a part in the band and the songwriting and all that, he's just really bad and doesn't know a good idea from a bad one. His good to bad ratio is like 2:1,000,000
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Quote by pensiveintensiv

Shut up.

EDIT -

Quote by AlanHB
It's not his fault. Drummers are like that.

You have 2 options;

1. Wear earplugs
2. Pretend that your original songs are actually Foo Fighters songs. As drummers are tone-deaf he wouldn't know the difference anyway.

My personal tactic is to actually agree with the drummer, and not do it. It's scientifically proven that drummers have no actual memory, so they won't mind or notice. They're just happy someone agreed with their suggestion, whatever it was.

You're a dick too.

ANOTHER EDIT -
Okay AlanHB was joking. Still, not very nice, but fair enough.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by ripjoestrummer
Well I'd like him to have a part in the band and the songwriting and all that, he's just really bad and doesn't know a good idea from a bad one. His good to bad ratio is like 2:1,000,000

Isn't that more like 1:500,000?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Zero_Mike
Isn't that more like 1:500,000?

yeah I realized that, but I wanted to let everyone know that he had 2 good ideas.
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

You have 2 options;

1. Wear earplugs
2. Pretend that your original songs are actually Foo Fighters songs. As drummers are tone-deaf he wouldn't know the difference anyway.

My personal tactic is to actually agree with the drummer, and not do it. It's scientifically proven that drummers have no actual memory, so they won't mind or notice. They're just happy someone agreed with their suggestion, whatever it was.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Metal Priest
Can't you take his ideas and change them so you're all happy with them?

Well, they're all so bad that no amount of changing will do anything justice. At this point we just smile and say "that's nice" and leave it at that.
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

Quote by AlanHB

You have 2 options;

1. Wear earplugs

Yeah, we've been. Good advice though
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

Quote by ripjoestrummer
Yeah, we've been. Good advice though

A joke yes? My advice was not meant to be serious.
Soundcloud
He picked bad band names so you come crying to UG? I'd like to hear what his musical input is that's so bad?
Oh my god, you guys do NOT understand how bad his ideas are. As i put it before, his good to bad idea ratio is literally 2:1,000,000. Its annoying! And I don't know how to get him to be quiet
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

Quote by ripjoestrummer

Band names:
The Musical Bears

Right now "The Musical Idiots" would be a better name.
Soundcloud
Quote by Metal Priest
Can't you take his ideas and change them so you're all happy with them?

Shoot The Bears?
In my limited experience (I'm still in my first ever band, and we're quite happy with our chemistry and sound), a band that works well together musically will also do so intellectually and politically, if that makes sense. For example, experience playing together will show your strengths and your weaknesses, so when it comes to making democratic (usually) decisions regarding songwriting, titles, band names, etc., the stupid ideas will naturally bow down to the greater ones. Even egotistical musicians are smart enough to realize that Joe's lyrics are better than Mike's, and the best songwriting method for your guys' band is X formula...blah blah blah. If you treat him badly, though, you're not really helping your band's chemistry. Just be cool, kind, and honest, and generally if someone in a band is genuinely against an idea, then that idea will either be altered or discarded. Good luck man, and have fun.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Just go with it, hell he might eventually come up with a good idea and if he ever gets upset about you rejecting his ideas just straight up tell him it's not what's best for the band, but if he's really that chill i doubt he will.

Also the Foo Fighters are a sick band man. Maybe give some of their albums a listen, at least give him that. They have a lots of songs that are fun to cover.
I don't understand how his ideas can be THAT bad to the point where there is no chance you can change them to make them work. If his suggestions are as bad as you say, anybody with common sense would know they are horrible. Sounds to me like you should just give him the axe and get a new drummer, who actually understands music.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Ha, there is in a band in Iowa that's called Shoot The Moon and they're popular. That's a popular band name though, just put it in myspace music and you'll see.
What about "Dont Feed the Bears?"

Nah, but seriously, he's just trying to get into it, and may feel the same way about you. Its part of being in a band. No one has total creative control, well, unless your name happens to be the band name. If you like the guy roll with it for a while, its just par for the course.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by pensiveintensiv

rofl im the drummer in my band yet i write most of the songs lol.
Sing me a new song
A broken song of redemption and regret
Sing me a new song
And beg for all the mercy you can get

--------------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail----------------

Even drummers that play the guitar and stuff suck at writing music 90% of the time. Our drummer is a big teddy bear and I like him a lot, but most of his song ideas are 2 power chords repeated for 4 measures in 4/4 time over and over again for an entire song. I'm not afraid to tell him that his ideas suck though.

The solution here is simple. Don't use the ideas you don't like, but leave certain bits of each song that are hard to screw up and have him write it. Ask him for input in certain parts and he'll be fine I'm sure.
Quote by DaVinci95
Shoot The Bears?
Please name your band that. Verbatim. Question mark and all.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Wow I did not see this coming. Thanks for the feedback I guess, though most of you were no use to me whatsoever anyways.
Why we don't cover Foo Fighters-First of all, my best friend and I started the band, him on bass me on guitar. Neither of us like them. Second, they simply don't fit with our style. Third, we've tried multiple times to cover them but it never sounded good because, again, they don't fit us.
Oh I guess I forgot to add something that we find annoying, for a while back he kind of bitched about our name. As in we already have a name and he kept suggesting other crap. Like Shoot the Moon and The Musical Bears (seriously, the musical bears?)
But its all good now, I sat down with him and had a nice long talk. I think the majority of it is his personality in general and his complete naivety as to how we want things to run. Thanks again guys
Quote by Sooopo

8/7/09

Quote by ripjoestrummer
Our drummer's really gung-ho about the band in general and we've been together for a while. I've known the guy for 3 or 4 years. But his ideas are terrible and he doesn't really complain about a lack of creative control but I can tell that it bothers him. He's a really chill guy, like REALLY chill and pretty cool so I don't want to say anything to tick him off. Like, I can't downright tell him that his ideas are ****ty, but I feel bad rejecting him time and time again. And he keeps up, he doesn't quite get the message after his repeated rejections. If you want a taste of his ideas, here are some:
Band names:
The Musical Bears
Shoot the Moon
there are countless others but those two I remember
He also loves the Foo Fighters for whatever reason and he keeps wanting to cover them even though we suck at covering them and we're trying to focus on originals. AND I CAN'T GET HIM TO STOP.
Any ideas?

hey, I think I know that guy!
...seriously.
haha, my drummer is really great, but he's always trying to get me to cover rush, and he often bitches about he songs we choose haha. we love him anyways though because he really makes it for us live so we put up with it. Go ahead and play a foo fighters song! make him happy. I ended up playing spirit in the radio....blech.
Too cool for a signature.