So I just bought a Randall Rg50tc yesterday.It was a floor model so I don't how much the tubes were being used.So i was wondering what kind of valves i should put it in.
There's currently Two EL34 power tubes and Four 12AX7EH Pre amp tubes. I play a lot of Metal but I also play some finger picking stuff and some blues.
So what kind of tubes should i get?How much will it cost and will it make much of a difference in tone?
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
First off, are the 12AX7 tubes Sovtek? Sovtek make lousy 12AX7 tubes from what i hear, might want to change thouse. Though you could swap the EL34s for 6L6s. The EL34 are more british voiced tubes and will have more midrange freqs comming out, though you would have to bias befor changing the power tubes.
Also, i would get better 12ax7 tubes, maybe EH, or JJ.
I think their electro harmonix. So maybe swap the power tubes out for Tung-sol 12AX7's and the pre amp tubes to 6L6's?
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
Quote by stykerwolf
First off, are the 12AX7 tubes Sovtek? Sovtek make lousy 12AX7 tubes from what i hear, might want to change thouse. Though you could swap the EL34s for 6L6s. The EL34 are more british voiced tubes and will have more midrange freqs comming out, though you would have to bias befor changing the power tubes.
Also, i would get better 12ax7 tubes, maybe EH, or JJ.

he said they are 12AX7EH, so that's EHX. Also, disagree that Sovtek suck, it just depends on the amp you want to use them in. The LPS kick ass in the right amps, and used to come stock in the Bogner XTC and Uberschall, where they sound kickass. High gain, crunchy sounding tube, with a pretty good noise floor for microphonics. The consenus is not to use them in cathode follower stages however, as with most New Sensor tubes.

OP, new tubes can make a big difference if the current ones are old and used up. If the tubes are new, different tubes will impart small differences, but they are minor in most cases. I personally like EL34 in a lot of amps, and prefer the SED Winged =C=, Tung Sol EL34B, or Ruby EL34BHT. The TS and Ruby have a very good tight low mid thump, while the SED are very balanced with a nice topend.

For preamp tubes, EHX are pretty bright IME. They work great if the amp isn't bright to begin with, but can get kind of harsh in some amps that are inherently bright in design. I like Shuguang(ruby, TAD, Sino) for a nice balanced tone in a Chinese tube. I like Tung Sol in V1 input stage of most amps, as they have a lot of clarity and definition, and I like the raunch that Sovtek LPS bring in the phase inverter stage of most amps(closest to yor power tubes). I've found JJ also do a lot to squash a really bright amp, but they can be overly dark in some amps. Lots of combinations you can try however, and preamp tubes usually last a lot longer than power tubes. If yours was a floor model, the pres are probably fine, so you could get away with just changing the PI and the powertubes first. I would probably only change the other preamp tubes if the amp is too bright for you right now.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids