Id like to route out a handle for my guitar. You may have seen them. I believe there on Jems, correct me if Im wrong. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do this?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
your gonna have to re-paint it too..
imo i think the monkey grips look stupid.

your guitar tho, go for it. i say go freehand, just draw a hole that you think you can fit your hand thru.

edit. try using google.
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/handle.htm
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Last edited by metal-matt at Aug 8, 2009,
Grab a template for the handle, mess around with it on your guitar til you find somewhere that looks 'good'. Then route it out.

You will ofcourse have to sand down the body before doing so and re-spray it afterwords. A costly job.

What wood is your guitar made out of anyway? You don't wanna be putting a handle in some weak stuff, especially if you have a heavy guitar.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by metal-matt
your gonna have to re-paint it too..
imo i think the monkey grips look stupid.

your guitar tho, go for it. i say go freehand, just draw a hole that you think you can fit your hand thru.

I object, strongly. Free handing with a router is kind of hit or miss. One hard spot in the wood, and the router can catch and gouge. Templates are amazing pieces of MDF or anything else really. I highly suggest them. Freehand a template, then use it for your guitar body.

Rjackson, I am sure that if he gives the wood enough room, it'll be alright. Wood is extremely strong, and sometimes flexible. Even if it was a cheaper wood, most of the cheaper woods are lighter. I don't think I know a very cheap wood that isn't light.
right, im going to assume from your sig this is to be done on your squier? (because someone'll probably cut you a second smile if its on the epi LP)
have you considered the Herman Li signature guitar type of grip (I don't like him or the guitar particularly but it's a very stealable concept)
pic here
https://www.imusician.co.uk/acatalog/00067132.jpg
a grip on the upper horn would be easier to get your hand to and wouldn't look so silly

just a suggestion :P
Quote by ohspyro89
Rjackson, I am sure that if he gives the wood enough room, it'll be alright. Wood is extremely strong, and sometimes flexible. Even if it was a cheaper wood, most of the cheaper woods are lighter. I don't think I know a very cheap wood that isn't light.

Yes, The JEMs are made from basswood and alder, both very cheap and light, and the way Steve swings those things around, you can see they're pretty stable.

(3:40 on the link, to see what I mean)
Last edited by CallmeTravis at Aug 9, 2009,