Hey guys I am currently looking for an acoustic/electric guitar and I am not sure which one to get. I am interested in a Gibson because that is my last name and I like the few that I have played. I mainly play rhythm guitar in my band and I was looking at the Gibson Blues King because that is what Chris Martin of Coldplay uses and I love the sound. Let me know what you guys think and steer me in the right direction.
Last edited by Gibson45 at Aug 8, 2009,
Gibson makes quality stuff for sure, but what is your budget and is a cutaway necessary?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I am getting it as a Christmas gift so there is no budget and luckily my parents don't mind spending a lot. Also a cutaway is not necessary... the Blues King does not have one, but I'm not sure if that is the right guitar for me due to the smaller neck size and me being a rhythm guitar player.
Don't want to be harsh but..
You choose a guitar because of your last name and because someone of coldplay plays it?

I'd suggest going to your guitar shop, take the day to choose your guit ; try em' , ask tips to the guy,etc.

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
My advice is to head to a guitar shop and try out some Breedloves, Taylors, Martins, Takamines, Alvarez Yairi and Masterbuilts, Cole Clarks, and Gibsons. In fact, I'd just try everything $1500 and up if there is absolutely no budget.

Man I wish my parents would get me a Christmas present that expensive....
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I know the last name thing is ridiculous, but what can I say. As for Chris Martin I know Coldplay doesn't have the best rep among hardcore musicians, but the guitar has a beautiful sound in many of their earlier songs.
play it in person and play others that are comparable. take your time, play a lot, then come back to the blues king and play it some more. just because an artist sounds a certain way using a certain guitar means nothing - effects, soundman and producer can change stuff so you wouldn't even recognize it if you hear the guitar in person.
There really is no acoustic, or any guitar really, that's made specifically for rhythm or lead playing. Any acoustic you get will be the ultimate rhythm weapon though. The way a guitar is played makes an acoustic almost a percussion hybrid. It will give a full enough sound to be played on its own and still sound good. So to put to rest what you've said before, you being a rhythm player doesn't matter.

I'm not sure how good your knowledge of acoustic guitars is, so I'll provide a link to the Acoustic Guitar FAQ/General Knowledge Thread. Read up and use that knowledge to your advantage in narrowing the field of guitars you want to try
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I played many acoustics for a couple years before i decided to purchase an expensive one, i was somewhat on a budget and got the taylor 214ce for $1000, it is great. my friend has a $3000 martin and all my friends like my guitars sound a feel much better. so i would suggest to play for a coupl more months and see what feels and sounds the best to you