I was practicing today, and nobody else was home so I plugged into my B52 AT112 after using my Peavey Vypyr 15 for practicing lately, and it just blew me away. There was something there that wasn't in the Vypyr, but I couldn't place it. The whole experience was so much more enjoyable, but I don't know why.

So, why do they sound so much better? Is it because it's more organic, and not processed, or is there not really a reason at all?
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Tube distortion is the actual distortion happening! Solid State amps are only copying it. Distortion happens when waveforms are cut off so they look like squares... good distortion will have rounded corners and sound smoother.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Because Digital stuff is consistant and will always sound the same no matter what assuming it isnt faulty. When it comes to your tube amp your tone will change as the tubes age the harder you hit the strings the more distorted you get and maybe some days your tubes are getting hit with more electricity so your getting a tone that you wouldnt normally get.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
Because Digital stuff is consistant and will always sound the same no matter what assuming it isnt faulty.

Tube amps are not always better. The reason is that most companies do not want to make a good SS amp like they used to. There are plenty of great SS and digital amps around.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

Tube amps are not always better. The reason is that most companies do not want to make a good SS amp like they used to.

+1

Tube amps are more profitable to an amplifier company because of the cult of belief built up in many guitar players that a tube amp is inherently superior to other types, not to mention the fact that many of these guitar players want to sound like their idols - who happened to use tube amps in order to sound like their idols - and so on until it goes back to them using tube amps because that was the extent of amplifier technology at the time.

No one wants to buy an SS amp because of the perceived low quality about them, mostly because alot of amp companies only make cheap/bad SS amps for beginners and nothing more than that (again, more profit to be made with tube amps - greater profit margins due to players being willing to pay for that perceived higher quality, etc)

The stigma of SS amps is a bit self-perpetuating, actually.

OP, to give you a more realistic answer, it's because companies spend a bit more time on the drawing board and money for parts for your average tube amp than your average SS amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 8, 2009,
even order harmonics as opposed to all harmonics... still, there exist some incredible ss amps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The real reason though is because the fragile harmonics can't survive in the crystal lattice of a transistor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTj08qTwGw

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by gregs1020
even order harmonics as opposed to all harmonics... still, there exist some incredible ss amps.

y'ar, here be yer answer landlubber
Quote by Raijouta

OP, to give you a more realistic answer, it's because companies spend a bit more time on the drawing board and money for parts for your average tube amp than your average SS amp.

While this may be partly true, I think it's an extreme oversimplification.

There are some scientific answers, such as the one gregs brought up, that explain why tube amps generally sound better.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by SLD.Potato
Tube distortion is the actual distortion happening! Solid State amps are only copying it. Distortion happens when waveforms are cut off so they look like squares... good distortion will have rounded corners and sound smoother.

That metal high gain sound that comes from Mesas, Peaveys that a lot ofUGers seem to like? Yeah those are pretty close to those square waveforms.
I prefer tubes, but damn do I love a good Roland JC 120. The distortion sounds like a dog fart, though.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by Raijouta

+500000000000
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
The real reason though is because the fragile harmonics can't survive in the crystal lattice of a transistor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTj08qTwGw

Thats PRICELESS

not to mention the freeflow electrons can survive better in a vaccuum tube space.
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Last edited by thedekker at Aug 11, 2009,
What bugs me is that most people seperate guitar amps in two categories: tube amps and SS/digital amps.
I think this stupid, because SS=/=Digital, in fact a SS amp is much closer to a tube amp and the two categories should be: Pratice amps and "professional" amps