Okay, my band (which does mainly Punk and Grunge and their various sub-genres) has been a trio for awhile. But, recently, the guitarist/vocalist added his friend in as another guitarist. Now, the friend he's adding in will no doubt be helpful, seeing as we'd then be able to do songs that require two guitarists, and he is a very talented guitarist; he plays a lot of metal and shred, so Punk and Grunge should be no problem. The thing is, I don't know if he should be in or not; he'll definitely be a good addition to the band, but I also like the idea of staying a trio. Being in a trio assures that everybody has a part they have to hold down, and, in my opinion, encourages each member to really step up individually. So, what do you think I should do Pit?

Edit: Another concern of mine is that he's really into metal, mostly Metalcore, and what is usually called Screamo (I don't know if it really is Screamo or not though). I don't think he really even likes Punk that much, so I think he might start leading us away from our genre.
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 8, 2009,
You should worry about writing good songs... not how many people are in the band.
Duos are where it's at my friend.

You might as well add him, though.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I'd quit and become a solo act. Then you would really have to step up! Which you seem to like.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Quote by Zombie V.
You should worry about writing good songs... not how many people are in the band.

This.

Unless you go too overboard. Like Slipknot or Guns N' Roses.

Then everyone will begin hating you.

"OMG U HAS 9 MEMBERS!!!111one1!!1!!! U COPIED SLIPKNOT!!!11!!!1"
Quote by bpazolli
I'd quit and become a solo act. Then you would really have to step up! Which you seem to like.

I'm a bass player.... I'm just saying, once you add in another guitar, the music becomes more complex, which is good, but in my opinion, it tends to make each person, especially the rhythm secion, not add in their part as much, so you see bass players just keeping straight eighth note measures going with no variation, and drummers keeping simple beats with no fills; again, that's just my opinion.
Quote by herby190
I'm a bass player.... I'm just saying, once you add in another guitar, the music becomes more complex, which is good, but in my opinion, it tends to make each person, especially the rhythm secion, not add in their part as much, so you see bass players just keeping straight eighth note measures going with no variation, and drummers keeping simple beats with no fills; again, that's just my opinion.

I suggest you stop listening to punk if you want complexity
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by you = fail
I suggest you stop listening to punk if you want complexity

Punk can be complex. Just because it doesn't have TEH BRUTAALLZZZ double bass drum wankery or any cutesy melodic fills doesn't mean it can't be complex. Some of the Dead Kennedeys stuff in particular can be really complex compared to a lot of stuff out there.
Using complexity, and difficulty level as a scale to judge music with is just fucking retarded.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
Punk can be complex. Just because it doesn't have TEH BRUTAALLZZZ double bass drum wankery or any cutesy melodic fills doesn't mean it can't be complex. Some of the Dead Kennedeys stuff in particular can be really complex compared to a lot of stuff out there.
Using complexity, and difficulty level as a scale to judge music with is just fucking retarded.

Well, stereotypically, punk is just a bunch of power chord progressions. Obviously there are some more complex punk acts and I dont want to put them out in the dark becaue of all the other bands that are not very dynamic.
Also, I thought that he was complaining that the music would be too simplistic. I never said punk was bad because of the technicallities of it. I enjoy punk as much as I enjoy metal. They just have different appeals; punk is more simplistic and fun to rock out to. Metal, however, is like a black hole to me...I just keep getting sucked in deeper and deeper. I love metal
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by p o e

Exactly; you can have ten instruments each playing something different, perfectly counter-pointed, but that doesn't mean that a three person band with a well written chorus isn't going to sound better.