Mkay so my birthday is coming up soon, and I'll have 500 dollars to use on a new guitar. I was originally thinking about getting the Alexi-200. After going to Guitar Center today, I tossed that idea and I'm now dead set on a Schecter. I've had my last Schecter for about 2 years now (LOVE it) but it lacks a Floyd Rose and it's a little roughed up (I bought it secondhand for about $150. eBay FTW). I sort of have my eye on the Omen 6 extreme FR, which I could get off Amazon.com for about $315 or something around there because of a sale, leaving money for better pickups. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
P.S.: I play hard rock/metal
P.P.S: Coil tapping is a plus
P.P.P.S.: Please don't recommend me a Gibson, Fender, or Jackson
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
What type of amp are you using?

Don't worry about replacing your pickups unless you've already got a good amp. The guitar you chose is fine, but I'd save the money for your next amp instead of buying pickups. Without a good amp, you probably won't even hear the difference.
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm
Instead of just emptying your pockets the moment you have money, why don't you save up a bit more before you buy a guitar. $500 is not going to get you much of an upgrade. And you're dead set on a Schecter, but in two weeks you won't be. Just chill for a while and you can buy a guitar that'll actually last you a while.

And what is the point in typing three post-scripts rather than continuing your post? It doesn't say you edited it at all.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Aug 8, 2009,
I'd say an Epiphone or Squier... JK

Well the C-1 FR has Duncan actives in it ... the pickups sound good IMO but not the best. The Damien FR is a pretty good guitar, comes with EMGHZs. The best option IMO would be a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe (unless you absolutely need an FR)... It comes with 81/85s, made of mahogany, ebony fretboard (i think), and amazing looking in-lays.

Also, what amp do you have? Amp is 90% of your tone... Amazing guitar + ****ty Amp = ****ty tone.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
well i have a lot of time to think. first off, ive been playing schecters for 2/3rds of the time ive even been playing guitar, and my birthday isn't even for about a month so if i still havent changed my mind until then, its going to be a Schecter. and yes, i already have a pretty good amp IMO.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

Quote by simpleben09
and yes, i already have a pretty good amp IMO.

Inb4 spider

Seriously... what amp is it?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
Inb4 spider

Seriously... what amp is it?

Raven RG 200
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
Raven RG 200

Silly 09ers... I would get a new amp first dude. Seriously, if you get a small tube amp of some kind for $350ish you would be way better off than getting a new guitar. High gain pups aren't going to sound to great through a 200watt Raven...

EDIT:I'm not making fun of you either... I used to want a Raven and an MG with EMGs too. Until I recently started trying to get really good tones and realized that looking cool is WAY less important than a good sounding amp. I also wanted a 100w Raven but no one needs that much wattage and especially Raven's that sound worse when they are cranked. If you get a good amp with a decent guitar you will thank yourself so much more in the long run when you start tone-chasing.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by JayT44
Silly 09ers... I would get a new amp first dude. Seriously, if you get a small tube amp of some kind for $350ish you would be way better off than getting a new guitar. High gain pups aren't going to sound to great through a 200watt Raven...

Well, I use a multieffects unit that has great distortion on it, and the clean channel sounds good on the amp, so thats just what I've been doing. Idk if I'm doing it wrong, but it sounds good and I have a good tone. Not a terribly versatile one, but it works the best for me
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
Well, I use a multieffects unit that has great distortion on it, and the clean channel sounds good on the amp, so thats just what I've been doing. Idk if I'm doing it wrong, but it sounds good and I have a good tone. Not a terribly versatile one, but it works the best for me

Okay well it's your money... but the Omen 6 is a decent guitar and it would do you better to get a new amp but I guess it is your decision. If you think your amp sounds good than do what you want and get a new guitar.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
bassicly unless you got an extremly ****ty amp... i don't tell people to get a new one... your amp is good enough and if you like it.. and don't think you need a new amp.. well that's up to you.. And for a guitar..

save up an extra 100$ and you can order a schecter damien 6 FR from the internet(emg HZ pickups) no coil tapping though

But if you really want an omen extreme.. i'd say go for it and toss a 81/89 w coil tap..

NOTE: As said above.. when they say that you won't really get the true quality of emg pickups in a amp THEY and the followers of THEY consider crap(spider,mg ect) That is somtimes not true. i got a spider III 75 watt... i got schecter damien 6 FR with emg hz pickups.. played it on a tube amp... loved the sound.. played it on a solid.. still sounded awesome.. and played it on my spider.. didn't really hear any difference from any other solid state.. but as you gotta remember.. alot of people are followers on here and will say w/e without trying it and actually hearing the difference... the only reason i wouldn't buy a spider is because i would like more gain and the settings aren't the best and stuff like that..
Dude.
The Tempest!!! Look at the ****ing tempest!!!

I loved that thing... I would have had sex with it had I not been in a Guitar Center.
I can manage to fit myself in the jack... Yes, I'm tiny.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Dude.
The Tempest!!! Look at the ****ing tempest!!!

I loved that thing... I would have had sex with it had I not been in a Guitar Center.
I can manage to fit myself in the jack... Yes, I'm tiny.

dude, i tried the tempest, and theres 3 major problems:
-Body shape is a tad quirky for me
-No FR
-A tad too pricey, even when second hand
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Instead of just emptying your pockets the moment you have money, why don't you save up a bit more before you buy a guitar. $500 is not going to get you much of an upgrade. And you're dead set on a Schecter, but in two weeks you won't be. Just chill for a while and you can buy a guitar that'll actually last you a while.

And what is the point in typing three post-scripts rather than continuing your post? It doesn't say you edited it at all.

+1 Save for a new guitar you won't regret it and you won't end up with a low-mid range guitar like you currently have.