Ok I'm a long time bassist and been playing guitar for about a year now, and for this time ive been playing guitar through my old 65w bass amp. I went through a stage in my playing where I was really into effects, so I have a pedal board with 10 effects, only 3 of them being bass speific(but I dont see any reason they couldnt work with well with guitar) but my question is i've heard that pedals dont always sound good through modeling amps, and I was considering buying a peavey vypyr 30w, mainly for the price and the different distortions I can get, since the only kind of distortion pedal I have is a bass big muff. Would my other pedals live up to their full potential through the modeling features of the vypyr?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
As a general rule, modelling amps don't take well to pedals. Of course I am taking in account that this is a Vypyr, if you where talking about a Vetta that may be a different story.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Vypyrs don't really like pedals. I've had luck with my Vox Valvetronix but everything I've read about Vypyrs and pedals wasn't positive. Maybe your modulations but definitely not the overdrive/fuzz/distortions.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
Vypyrs don't really like pedals. I've had luck with my Vox Valvetronix but everything I've read about Vypyrs and pedals wasn't positive. Maybe your modulations but definitely not the overdrive/fuzz/distortions.

most of my pedals are modulation effects, but the pedal I actually use the most is my EHX micro synth, so I can imagine that it wouldnt sound too good through vypyr?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Just came to mind, maybe modeling amps would sound better with effects if they had an external effect loop?

Only one I've found with such a thing (in 5 minutes of google research) is the Vox AD60VT(X) and AD120VT(X) but those are apparently intended for gigging rather than bedroom practice.
Modulations work OK with most modelers, but distortions, ODs and fuzzes are another story.

Lose the Big Muff, but the rest should be cool.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
My VT100 has an effects loop and I keep all my modulations in it. My OD's and fuzzes work great on the cleaner models, though. I did a demo of my muff clone through it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqelAHgD-jg

I just wonder how the Vypyr would respond if you kept it to the cleaner models or at least rolled back the gain on some of the heavier ones.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
The main problem is you cannot order the effects correctly. And yes, modulation effects will probably work better than overdrive/distortion.

Honestly, with all your pedals, I would just get a quality amplifier, with overdrive that you like?

Quality =/= $$$
well its my budget that is the main problem, since I'm starting school again in a few weeks, so I have no job now and I just paid tuition so I'm low on funds. But what is the best SS amp I could get for about $300 or so?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
I'd look at a Valve Junior.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
My POD seems to not mind pedals, tube preamp + cab sim is a nice way to warm up distortion pedals.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by BamaBlues
But what is the best SS amp I could get for about $300 or so?
Does it have to be solid state? Though there is nothing wrong with it, there are some tube amps in that price range as well. With your collection of pedals, I would suggest getting one with an effects loop.
What do you like to play mostly? you can always bend the rules when its time to just dick around, but having a dedicated amp in a band situation is a nice thing

Someone mentioned a Valve Junior. Some mods and you would have a psychedelic rock machine, at a bedroom level. Or push it into a metal territory, whatever. But don't get one of those if metal is your main thing (which I would guess it's not).

And since the Peavey is a little more geared towards hi-gain, maybe a Valvetronix or Cube is in order if you decide to go the modelling route).

edit: willing to go used or what?
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Does it have to be solid state? Though there is nothing wrong with it, there are some tube amps in that price range as well. With your collection of pedals, I would suggest getting one with an effects loop.
What do you like to play mostly? you can always bend the rules when its time to just dick around, but having a dedicated amp in a band situation is a nice thing

Someone mentioned a Valve Junior. Some mods and you would have a psychedelic rock machine, at a bedroom level. Or push it into a metal territory, whatever. But don't get one of those if metal is your main thing (which I would guess it's not).

And since the Peavey is a little more geared towards hi-gain, maybe a Valvetronix or Cube is in order if you decide to go the modelling route).

edit: willing to go used or what?

Well the only reason I was thinking about going solid state is that I could get a decent high wattage amp like a 75w or a 100w opposed to a 5w or 15w tube, but I'm still kind of a newbie on the guitar side of amplification. really, my only criteria is that there is a line out on the amp so I can plug it up to my computer to record. And I would be more than willing to go used, the only piece of gear I've ever bought new was my Squier Jazz Bass when I stared playing a few years ago.

I play a wide variety of stuff, hard rock like Muse or RATM, as well as alot of sludge/stoner/doom rock ie corrosion of conformity, Kyuss, QOTSA, and what not, and some metal and blues in bewteen, so I guess versatility would be nice.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Quote by radicalz_adi
modelling and pedals are a big no no...u mite just wanna go for a decent guitar amp...

It's interesting you say this. Almost as interesting as claiming the sky is checkerboard orange and brown.

It depends on the modelling amp. Some modelling amps are fine with pedals, others not so much.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
It's interesting you say this. Almost as interesting as claiming the sky is checkerboard orange and brown.

It depends on the modelling amp. Some modelling amps are fine with pedals, others not so much.

Which ones are fine? i have yet to plug into one that likes my POD. Some were better then others, but it still sounded stale and lifeless. i agree with your statement that the POD likes pedals. mine has worked great with them. (provided I liked the pedal in the first place).
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Which ones are fine? i have yet to plug into one that likes my POD. Some were better then others, but it still sounded stale and lifeless. i agree with your statement that the POD likes pedals. mine has worked great with them. (provided I liked the pedal in the first place).

Vettas and Flextones seem to go fine with pedals. I've heard Spiders and Vypyrs don't. I don't have much experience using mod effects, I'm a pretty straightforward 'distortion and nothing else' sorta player.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ah thanks. I have to admit i'm kinda jonesing for a vetta.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Me too, a little bit, but, I'm more jonesing for an Ampeg VH-140c or similar.

If the Vetta had that and a Randall Warhead, it would be perfect.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The main problem is you cannot order the effects correctly. And yes, modulation effects will probably work better than overdrive/distortion.

Honestly, with all your pedals, I would just get a quality amplifier, with overdrive that you like?

Quality =/= $$$

this ^

the end.
Quote by scott58
Which ones are fine?

I mentioned earlier that my Valvetronix takes pedals just fine. Just a matter of knowing where to place them in the chain and using common sense. Trying to throw a fuzz on top of a high gain model with the grain cranked is going to sound horrible. Using the Fender and Vox models on the amp, and a few of the lower gain boutique models featured, I can use my pedals just fine.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.