So I've got the itch to get a new amp but don't feel like spending too much money. I'd set my budget for around, a healthy $400-800. I'm looking for something to keep up with a death metal loud drummer but I don't need a giant half stack. Hoping to get warm jazzy cleans from the amp and as far as distortion possibly something of a death/mastodon/metallica tone. I mainly play progressive and thrash metal, but I also do a lot of jazz fusion (cynic) and blues. Gain, but not a lot is needed. I've got my 5150 for all the gain I could need. ;]

Anyways, suggest away and help me out!
Well of you already have a 5150 get something like a vox ac15 or a used fender hrd. Neither have insane amounts of distortion but in my opinion they have excellent cleans. And if you want to switch to high gain you can a/b switch the amps.
Quote by uncreativelolol
Played one today and didn't like it. Did mastodon okay but was eh overall. :s

Can fender hrde/etc pull off warm, middy, jazz cleans? They always had a more sparkle-y tone to me.

yeah, I would look more at a british clean tone. Something like a Plexi or a Vox AC. Maybe even a JCM would be up your alley if you were wanting more gain than the Plexi.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Voc AC15/used AC30, used DSL401 maybe?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Voc AC15/used AC30, used DSL401 maybe?

+1
A vox would be quite nice.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
+1
A vox would be quite nice.

This, then buy a used a/b box and switch between them
vox vt100 or if u got a spare cab go get a good marshall head
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Originally Posted By: greendayispunk
vox vt100 or if u got a spare cab go get a good marshall head

No. There are way better options than both things you suggested. You could get an AC30 used, that would give you a nice jazzy clean tone, I agree that the Fenders aren't voiced for what you would like. If you already have a 5150, anything with more gain isn't that useful. Also, if you buy the AC30 used, you can used the rest of your money for an A-B box and switch easily between amps. One other amp I would suggest is a Carvin X100b. It's got lots of clean headroom, and an excellent tone for jazz cleans. A tube change would make it sound darker too, great for what you would like.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
No. There are way better options than both things you suggested. You could get an AC30 used, that would give you a nice jazzy clean tone, I agree that the Fenders aren't voiced for what you would like. If you already have a 5150, anything with more gain isn't that useful. Also, if you buy the AC30 used, you can used the rest of your money for an A-B box and switch easily between amps. One other amp I would suggest is a Carvin X100b. It's got lots of clean headroom, and an excellent tone for jazz cleans. A tube change would make it sound darker too, great for what you would like.

u win pat your self on the back haha
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Hmm, maybe an Ampeg VH/SS series amp? Br00tL distortion and Jazz Chorus-ish cleans.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by ibz_bucket

A friend of mine endorses carvin, maybe he get get me some alone time with one hehe to see if I like it.

Sounds like that or an AC30. Still open to suggestions, guys. Kinda leaning towards the AC30, but I have never tried one so I'm not sure.