Not too sure where this goes, but I kind of have a big problem. My guitar won't stay in tune at all with the tremolo arm on. Whenever I depress, even just a little, my guitar goes out of tune. The G string (inb4 thong references ) goes out of whack the worst. I only have two springs on the bridge, if that's a big problem.

I was thinking about getting locking tuners. Any recommendations on cheap/good ones. Around $50 - $80.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Last edited by Drmmrboi180 at Aug 9, 2009,
Uhhhmmmm, what about the edge III??? YOur guitar doesn't have one...

Buy a new guitar, cause locking tuners will run you $70, and a new guitar won't suck!

Seriously though, i'd just save for a new one... especially with all the gear you have... haha
The Ibanez RG120 doesn't have the Edge III bridge Even if it did the locking tuners would be useless since you have a locking nut. Anyway you may want to lube your nut so your string can easily pass through it and also look at your stringing technique at the tuning machine to make sure that it's tight.
Quote by Zamorak
Uhhhmmmm, what about the edge III??? YOur guitar doesn't have one...

Buy a new guitar, cause locking tuners will run you $70, and a new guitar won't suck!

Seriously though, i'd just save for a new one... especially with all the gear you have... haha

It's kind of funny you'd mention that, I've been thinking about getting a new one. You want to wire me the money through paypal?

If I wanted to buy a new guitar, I would, but I don't have the money, If I did, the name of the thread would be "Help choosing guitar". Unless you have advice on how I can play without detuning my strings, then GTFO.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
It will always go out of tune. The trem on the RG120 is not very good at all. Locking tuners and a good nut (Graphtech etc) will help it stay in tune, but it wont be perfect.
Quote by littlephil
It will always go out of tune. The trem on the RG120 is not very good at all. Locking tuners and a good nut (Graphtech etc) will help it stay in tune, but it wont be perfect.

So I should maybe replace the trem?
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by Drmmrboi180

Wasted money it's better if you just save up for a whole new guitar.
Quote by Drmmrboi180

If you are really attached to the guitar and know what you are doing (or are confident that you can learn) then you can go ahead and try it.

Personally, I would go for the locking tuners and then save up for a guitar with a better tremolo.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Do you absolutely need the trem? If you block it it'd help the guitar stay in tune. It's probably not worth replacing, considering the effort required, and a decent trem would cost a lot on its own. Locking tuners would help. Look at the guitar setup FAQ for a stringing method that's supposed to help keep the string from shifting.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
you can`t do wild dive bombs on the fat10 bridge all you`ll be able to do is slight flutters and the hank marvin effect. tuning issues result from the fact it has a locking nut but no fine tuners on the bridge. remove the clamps for the locking nut and get some sperzel locking tuners
hmm there are many reasons why a guitar won't stay in tune and getting locking tuners may not solve the problem. I never had a guitar with a tremelo so i don't really know too much about them but i know that the gauge of the strings affect how much tension you need from your tremelo springs. But the reason why my guitar wasn't staying in tune was my guitars slightly off intonation and my strings over lapping each other on the tuning peg. But if all of that is in order the only reason to get locking tuners is if your tuners are moving slightly on its own. If not getting locking tuners won't fix your problem