Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR), a wetland conservation property and tribute to Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, is being threatened by strip mining. The 135,000 ha property, in Queensland’s Cape York Peninsula, is home to a set of three important spring fed wetlands which provide a critical water source to threatened habitat, provide permanent flow of water to the Wenlock River, and is home to rare and vulnerable plants and wildlife. Cape Alumina Pty Ltd has lodged mining lease applications which include approximately 12,300 ha of the Reserve. Terri Irwin said today that SIWR was an important ecological site, which needs to be preserved in order to protect Australian habitat which is in danger of severe degradation and ruin. “The proposed area for mining on the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve contains the head waters of irreplaceable waterways and unique biodiversity which will not recover after mining operations are finished,” Terri said. “I am a realist and I understand that mining is an important industry, however we have learned over the last 50 years of bauxite mining, it is critical to set aside the most environmentally sensitive areas, such as SIWR, and consider not mining them. Responsible mining companies are already doing this as part of developing carbon credit programs,” Terri said.

tl;dr, Steve Irwin's Wildlife Reserve is being destroyed by Strip mining, and they don't give a **** about it.. Thoughts?

Petition: http://www.savestevesplace.com/
Last edited by Filter at Aug 9, 2009,
against...
Quote by guitarlord28
I thought your avatar was slowpoke
Yeah, the miners should stop, if not for Steve then for the enviroment and wildlife.

Edit:

Quote by jetfuel495
They're trying to strip mine a dead icon's wildlife reserve? That's almost like pissing on his grave.

Absolutely, that wildlife reserve represents Steve's ideals and accomplishments during his life as well as providing a crucial lifeline.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Last edited by hellbound_jonny at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by jetfuel495
They're trying to strip mine a dead icon's wildlife reserve? That's almost like pissing on his grave.

Basically.

There's a petition signing, but i'm afraid in some weird way the Admins will jump on my ass if I post it..
I think it doesn't matter that it's Steve's,I think it just being a wildlife reserve is reason enough for outrage.All we do is trample over everything that's in the way of profit,it really makes me question humanity sometimes.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by jetfuel495

Wait, that's a bad thing? Oh shit.
Well, if in the mining process they find more animals, this could actually be a plus...
Quote by Filter
Basically.

There's a petition signing, but i'm afraid in some weird way the Admins will jump on my ass if I post it..

Nah, I'm pretty sure I've seen several petitions here before. I could be lying though. I can't trust myself this late at night.

But it shouldn't be a problem, it's a genuinely good cause.
Quote by lukeylynch
Well, if in the mining process they find more animals, this could actually be a plus...

It's a win-win situation
yeah i've seen petitions too, and i dont think they're a problem
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by jetfuel495
Nah, I'm pretty sure I've seen several petitions here before. I could be lying though. I can't trust myself this late at night.

But it shouldn't be a problem, it's a genuinely good cause.

In that case..

http://www.savestevesplace.com/

By mid 2010, they say there won't be much left. Poar animels.
That sucks ass. if that petition is posted ill happily sign(type?)

EDIT: i signed
also the link was in my spam folder so check there if you dont think you got it
Last edited by RiotSquad at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut
I think it doesn't matter that it's Steve's,I think it just being a wildlife reserve is reason enough for outrage.All we do is trample over everything that's in the way of profit,it really makes me question humanity sometimes.

Couldn't agree more. I signed.
Cool. You would think some higher power would step in to stop it. His family has tried to get them to stop, but the Mining companys are just after one thing..
Quote by lukeylynch
Tbh, I doubt the petition is gonna do anything.

I just think that it is sad that if it wasn't Steve's reserve, you would probably never hear anything about it.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I just think that it is sad that if it wasn't Steve's reserve, you would probably never hear anything about it.

I'm pretty sure there's a **** load of conservationists watching Wildlife Reserves all around the world..
Quote by Filter
I'm pretty sure there's a **** load of conservationists watching Wildlife Reserves all around the world..

Yeah, but would you hear about it. Probably not.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Yeah, but would you hear about it. Probably not.

If anything destructive was going to take place. Said conservationist would alert bigger groups.. like WCS.. But sometimes, it doesn't break wind to the conservationists themselves..
Quote by Filter
If anything destructive was going to take place. Said conservationist would alert bigger groups.. like WCS.. But sometimes, it doesn't break wind to the conservationists themselves..

I signed a petition to stop this happening a while ago...

I find this really insulting actually, that wildlife park is almost a part of Australia's heritage, I bet it brings lots of tourism... mining sure doesn't.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Yeah, that's pretty repulsive. The guy's dead, you'd think they could at least respect him and his accomplishments but then it hits you like "Oh that's right, the world is full of assholes! Silly me!"
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
Quote by EnyoAdonai
I signed a petition to stop this happening a while ago...

I find this really insulting actually, that wildlife park is almost a part of Australia's heritage, I bet it brings lots of tourism... mining sure doesn't.

Well said.
Signed. And yay, I was able to fill out the Queenslanders only part.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.