As a guitar player, my goal is to be able to do all those crazy Iron Maiden and Metallica Solo's and rhythm parts. I have 3 hours a weekday and 5 or more on weekends to practice. Can anyone recommend me a good practice schedule? I am really lost at the moment. I'm looking for a teacher at the moment.....
Lol. Iron Maiden and Metallica are relatively easy, and you certainly don't need a teacher if that's what you want.
Get guitar pro if you don't already have it. and just learn songs.
start easy, and try harder ones until you can play what you want.
play with a metronome.
play chromatic exercises.
The rhythm parts may just be practice, but the solos are away above what I can currently do. There are a few easy ones, then the difficulty just seems to spike. I have only played for 5 1/2 months.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Lol. Iron Maiden and Metallica are relatively easy, and you certainly don't need a teacher if that's what you want.
Get guitar pro if you don't already have it. and just learn songs.
start easy, and try harder ones until you can play what you want.
play with a metronome.
play chromatic exercises.

Maiden and Metallica are hard for the beginning guitarist, dude.

If all you want to do is learn songs note for note, and play them on command, go torrent GP. If you wanna learn to play guitar at the level of the guys from Metallica/Maiden (eventually, these things take time), get yourself a teacher who can get you familiar with theory, proper technique, an good excercises. It always helps to have someone actually in front of you, responding to your needs, and teaching for you, not for a class/web community.

EDIT: I'm not saying web-based communites are supurfluous, I'm just saying that it is more beneficial for them to be used as a study guide, not a whole curriculum.
Last edited by captainoid at Aug 9, 2009,
At this rate of practice, how soon can I expect to be playing these sorts of songs?
What should I do in the meantime, before I am fast enough to play the harder songs? I am playing through as many easy ones as I can at the moment.
And can you reccomend me some easier songs of theirs? I already know Enter Sandman, Seek and Destroy, One (Kind of...) and the Small Hours. Is it normal for a person who has played the amount I have to have trouble with these kinds of songs?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by GoldfishMoon
At this rate of practice, how soon can I expect to be playing these sorts of songs?
What should I do in the meantime, before I am fast enough to play the harder songs? I am playing through as many easy ones as I can at the moment.

Play through the easy songs/rhythm parts of harder songs, acquire a metronome, and start building up chops for the harder stuff. Also, look through the guides here, as there are many useful articles here on how to maintain a good practice schedule.

Most importantly, look for a good teacher. A good teacher exponentially speeds up the process of learning, and can provide many useful tips in order to build a truly solid foundation in which to build on and expand your technique. Shop around first, and look for one you think you can really learn alot from, as well as get along with. A solid rapport is the deciding factor on whether playing is a passion, or a chore.

Keep in mind that while teachers are the most effective solution for learning effectively, they are not magic keys that can get you mad skillz in one month of education. It will take alot of work, but the end result is that much sweeter.
Last edited by captainoid at Aug 9, 2009,
How do I build up the speed to play the solos if I can't even get near that speed currently?
Play parts from songs which push your ability that going to get you closer to your goal
Some of the easier metallica songs to get you playing in the genre. Enter Sandman/ Master of Puppets etc etc
After 5 and 1/2 months of playing, don't expect to play like guys who have 10-20 years of experience.

/harsh reality

For now, just find some artists you like, and learn some more managable songs. The only way to play the shreddier stuff out there is to chip away at them, with a mteronome and a load of patience. Again, there are many articles, not only here, but everywhere on the net that have very useful information on the techniques needed, and how to use them.
you need to download guitar pro. slow songs down. and play it until you get it perfect. then bump it up a few BPM and keep doing that until you can do it full speed. and you have to push yourself by learning songs out of your reach or else you'll improve very slowly.
try technical difficulties by racer x. or thunder horse by dethklok.
maybe some megadeth.
FFS, be patient!

You've made dozens of threads about the same thing and you'll keep getting the same answers....

Don't worry about what other people may or may not have done or achieved, it's got absolutely no bearing on what you do.

There's nothing you "should" know, you get out of guitar what you put in...if you've practiced something you'll know it, if you haven't you won't. If you don't know something then you simply haven't learned it yet, it doesn't make you a bad player and it's nothing to get concerned about.

Likewise there's no pre-set time frame, things take as long as they take, that's all there is to it. It's unrealistic to impose time limits on yourself because you've got no control over how long things may take.

Speed isn't a concern because you've got no direct control over it. However, you do have direct control over things that influence it, accuracy, control, economy of movement etc. If you focus your attention on those things speed will take care of itself.

Fast =/= good, concentrate on getting your notes to sound clearly, your hammer ons precise, your bends accurate in tune, your picking accurate and synchronised.

Be patient, practice properly and don't try to overstretch yourself. You don't make quantum leaps in guitar, you progress gradually. The quickest, most effcient way to progress is to build directly on what you already know. If you know 7 chords then your goal isn't to learn 100, it's to learn 8 chords, then when you know 8 chords your goal is to learn 9 etc. Setting realistic, achievable short-term goals is the way to get where you want, not worrying about stuff that's further down along the line.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
FFS, be patient!

You've made dozens of threads about the same thing and you'll keep getting the same answers....

Don't worry about what other people may or may not have done or achieved, it's got absolutely no bearing on what you do.

There's nothing you "should" know, you get out of guitar what you put in...if you've practiced something you'll know it, if you haven't you won't. If you don't know something then you simply haven't learned it yet, it doesn't make you a bad player and it's nothing to get concerned about.

Likewise there's no pre-set time frame, things take as long as they take, that's all there is to it. It's unrealistic to impose time limits on yourself because you've got no control over how long things may take.

Speed isn't a concern because you've got no direct control over it. However, you do have direct control over things that influence it, accuracy, control, economy of movement etc. If you focus your attention on those things speed will take care of itself.

Fast =/= good, concentrate on getting your notes to sound clearly, your hammer ons precise, your bends accurate in tune, your picking accurate and synchronised.

Be patient, practice properly and don't try to overstretch yourself. You don't make quantum leaps in guitar, you progress gradually. The quickest, most effcient way to progress is to build directly on what you already know. If you know 7 chords then your goal isn't to learn 100, it's to learn 8 chords, then when you know 8 chords your goal is to learn 9 etc. Setting realistic, achievable short-term goals is the way to get where you want, not worrying about stuff that's further down along the line.

I know I have made a Lot of topics, but I didn't ask for some magic pill to make me good at guitar, I am asking for a practice schedule and some pointers so I can get to where I want to be. All the answers I seem to get are - 1. Practice 2. Do stuff slowly. I need a bit more detail then that. I need a basic practice outline that I can tailor to fit what I want.
You haven't played for very long. Break down your technique.

This guy's name is Freepower. He is a common poster on UG and i think hes a mod.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9&search_query=freepowerug

You'll find a lot of helpful things in this playlist he made. He teaches the bare basics that help people build up speed. The first video in the playlist is by far the most important. It teaches you how to practice correctly.

Go through all these videos, by the time you come out, you'll be better informed about playing guitar and how to practice correctly.

Good luck dude!
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak