Page 1 of 2
Seriously, I'm thinking about becoming a musician. I'm doing *allright* at school, but I just love music How can you earn money by being a musician?
Get a job at PC World
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Go to jazz bars, chat to the band, they're the ones that know people (other bar musicians have tried to become succesful but don't have the links, jazz musicians do :P). These people can then get you into recording guitar parts for small-time artists, you build a reputation and eventually might get to play on a few decent albums.

In the meantime you survive by teaching others.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Sell drugs.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Insanity^2
Go to jazz bars, chat to the band, they're the ones that know people (other bar musicians have tried to become succesful but don't have the links, jazz musicians do :P). These people can then get you into recording guitar parts for small-time artists, you build a reputation and eventually might get to play on a few decent albums.

In the meantime you survive by teaching others.

this, practice your ass off, be proficient in different styles, play wiht as many people as possible, and in particular quality people, see as muihc good live music as you can to learn new licks and way to comp. Also LISTENING Is the most important thing, and being able to play appropriately to the situation.
If you learn theory well enough, and become proficient in many styles and techniques, teaching or session playing seem the only options as a conventional means, even so, there's quite a lot of luck to succeed in that too.
My advice... do what you love, play what you like, don't get caught up trying to make it big else you'll forget about making good music and enjoying yourself and wont go anywhere. If it's going to happen, it needs to happen naturally, so don't force it. If there are sparks for success, sure.. you still need to work hard, as long as your principles are right.
The same way as U2, Green day and other very famous bands. Start a band make music and sell allot and perform and sell tickets for it. But that was quite obvious.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Production
Session Artist
Busking
Music Tech
Working in a band
Teaching
Composing for TV, radio, writing film scores.
Composing for pop artists.

That kind of crap.

Do it all and you'll get a whole KATRILLION DOLLA A MONTH! For real...
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

I had a grand idea on how to do this a while back (but my bandmates couldn't be convinced to do it), and it could work for you too. start by getting together a few people who play whatever genre it is that you wish to play as a band. then write a few pop-rock songs or a couple of poo-core songs (basically play what people want to hear). Self-release these on an EP. Play a few shows, get noticed, get signed to an independent label. As soon as you're in the studio, have a drastic change of musical direction. you'll be signed, and eventually you'll pick up some fans of your new genre.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Aug 9, 2009,
I'm on the verge of earning enough money through music to support my lifestyle. I have been gigging 3-4 nights a week and when my new album comes out I will be gigging even more. I also do composing on the side but thats more of a hobby and I'm also studying to be a studio engineer. On top of this I do some work as a session guitarist/pianist. I'm not gonna be a millionaire anytime soon but I can afford a nice apartment and good equipment so im happy.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Last edited by HeavyReverb at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Do it all and you'll get a whole KATRILLION DOLLA A MONTH! For real...

wait a minute. where abouts in East midlands you at?
Quote by haha5940
wait a minute. where abouts in East midlands you at?

It just so happens that i am within Leicestershire(outskirts), just outside of a town called Loughborough. Close to Donington as it happens.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Aug 9, 2009,
You know, I'm going to be a freshman at a music college in september and I have yet to figure this question out... I'm fucking screwed.

Nah, I mean you could start a band, play a few local clubs, get paid a bit, and then have a day job. There's this local group in Minnesota called The Dweebs, they're a cover band and they play parties, dances, big events etc. Well The Dweebs are a front. The same members also have a band that they're trying to make it big with because they don't get paid well enough with their normal band, but they get a good deal of cash when they play as a cover band (Trust me, my dad booked them for an event with winter carnival, they're not cheap)

It's a perfect scheme.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
It just so happens that i am within Leicestershire(outskirts), just outside of a town called Loughborough. Close to Donington as it happens.

nice! Thats really close to me. But I think i might be on the other side of loughborough... I'm at syston area.
I make a bit, maybe 100-200 a week if I'm lucky. My drummer earns a good bit more because he teaches too.
I wouldn't like to be relying on it as a full time job though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Educate yourself and get a real job.

Only bitches with autotune can live of only music easily, others have to work hard.
Play mainstream stuff in bars, weddings, private parties etc. I know a guy who makes quite a bit doing this with his brother and they aren't even that good.
Quote by Old Lady
Play mainstream stuff in bars, weddings, private parties etc. I know a guy who makes quite a bit doing this with his brother and they aren't even that good.

My great uncle did this with his band back in the times of yore- play popular covers at functions during the week to earn money, then play their own rock and roll at the weekends
Play music?
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by funkyducky
get really bloody good at it.
or be the jonas brothers (if it classifies as music)
and remember - those who can't do, teach.

And those who can't teach, teach gym.

Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by webbtje
Write songs for pop artists. No joke.

edit: Yes, School of Rock is an amazing movie.
There be no shelter here.
I think your best option is to become a very good guitar player and join like a punk band or something (punk guitarists usually suck ass) which will make you look amazing.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by funkyducky
and remember - those who can't do, teach.

i don't get this stigma at all.
#DTWD
If you love music then get a job you can put up with and play as much music as you can in your spare time.

If you get to the stage where you could, perhaps, make a career out of music then make a decision and perhaps pack your job in to focus on your musical aspirations.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, that's my advice: always have a back up plan.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Being a struggling Musician=Prostitution.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by haha5940
Seriously, I'm thinking about becoming a musician. I'm doing *allright* at school, but I just love music How can you earn money by being a musician?

You can't. Money doesn't exist in the music industry.

Sux2bu.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Become Jewish
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr