So me and a few friends are thinking of going on a trip to NY next christmas (2010), its a long way off yet but is there any advice you guys can give me? Or for anyone who has been to New York, can you give me any advice? We are going from London and will probably be there for a few days, here are a few questions i could think of:

1-How much am i looking at in terms of cost on average?

2-What are some decent hotels at a decent price?

3-How cold does it get in winter? It gets pretty cold in England and so i'm used to it, but i just want to know what to expect.

4-Any good places to eat?

5-How strict are drinking age laws? We aren't gonna raise hell when we go, but it would be nice to have a drink and a laugh together, most of us are gonna be 20 when we go, so we are responsible and above the age in England, but of course it is 21 across the pond.

Thanks.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
1- check out orbitz for flight costs
2- wouldn't know nothing about that
3- NY weather is in a constant state of PMS. it ranges from about 0 degrees Fahrenheit to 75 degrees fahrenheit in the winter time
4- every place in brooklyn is a good place to eat
5- Come to brooklyn, East 18th street, avenue U. few blocks away from the Q train
Chinese owned liquor store that sells to kids. especially if you walk in with a girl.
a lot of pot heads hang out across the street so you can get some of that too.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
1- check out orbitz for flight costs
2- wouldn't know nothing about that
3- NY weather is in a constant state of PMS. it ranges from about 0 degrees Fahrenheit to 75 degrees fahrenheit in the winter time
4- every place in brooklyn is a good place to eat
5- Come to brooklyn, East 18th street, avenue U. few blocks away from the Q train
Chinese owned liquor store that sells to kids. especially if you walk in with a girl.
a lot of pot heads hang out across the street so you can get some of that too.

Thanks, i checked orbitz and the calender thing dosen't go up to next December, i think we are gonna search around a few travel agencies anyway and try and make a package flight or something, i will try and keep in mind the adress of the liquor store although it sounds a bit dodgy if you don't mind me saying, i was thinking more along the lines of bars, but if a liquor stores is the last resort then that will do.
WHOMP

Quote by donender
Thanks, i checked orbitz and the calender thing dosen't go up to next December, i think we are gonna search around a few travel agencies anyway and try and make a package flight or something, i will try and keep in mind the adress of the liquor store although it sounds a bit dodgy if you don't mind me saying, i was thinking more along the lines of bars, but if a liquor stores is the last resort then that will do.

In New York, the streets are the best bar there is.
I live up here in New York. However, I'm over in Long Island, so if you are heading into the city, you might want a second opinion.

1. Not sure about the flight, but for everything else afterwards, you might need a lot
2. On the average, its probably around $100 a night, could be more or less
3. FREEZING (depending where you are)
4. One place I do enjoy to eat at in the city is the Hard Rock Cafe.
5. If you arent making too much noise, nobody will care if you are drinking
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
1 dont know
2 dont know
3 nothing unbearably cold as long as youre dressed properly
4 if youre going to city you should notice these stands, kind of like hot dog stands but bigger, that sell arab food. its good and pretty cheap. you have to try the lamb over rice with creamy white sauce.... mmm so creamy
5. i dont know about manhattan and thats probably where youre going. hard liquor is pretty hard to get if youre under 21 but beer is easy if you know how to play it cool like me

The hotels can get pretty pricey. But most of them like the W in union square are worth it

Check orbitz

3-How cold does it get in winter? It gets pretty cold in England and so i'm used to it, but i just want to know what to expect.

It does get very cold, but it doesn't get all that cold in manhattan compared to where I live in the Bronx. Then its like Frozen over Hell up here.

YES! If you like Sushi, go to Shima on 2nd Avenue
But don't go to TGI Fridays (I don't know if you guys have them over in England)
If you don't like Sushi go to Ollie's Noodle Shop or Rue 57 (Both on the west side, Ollie's makes chinese food[The cheap new york style chinese food places arent all that great, but Ollies is really good] and Rue 57 makes French-Japanese food)
And for more asian food, Kambi Ramen House in Gramercy Park
And for NON-asian food, The Farm on Church Avenue in Brooklyn is really good, but it does get crowded fast, and its like a 15-25 minute wait but its worth it

5-How strict are drinking age laws? We aren't gonna raise hell when we go, but it would be nice to have a drink and a laugh together, most of us are gonna be 20 when we go, so we are responsible and above the age in England, but of course it is 21 across the pond.

I'm not old enough to drink yet, but I'm sure they're pretty strict about it unless you're probably somewhere in like Grenwich Village cause the restaraunts there arent all that strict
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Last edited by PurpleClawz at Aug 9, 2009,
I travel extensively throughout the US. Been there many times.

Sorry. Relative to the rest of the country, getting a hotel north of Washington DC is expensive. Motel 6 from Florida to California average $45/night for a single. From DC to Maine, $80. New York City? Never stayed there, but a Super 8 in Hartford wanted $130 for a room that would be $55 everywhere else.

I'd stay a short drive away from New York. Head north towards albany and schnectedy (sp?).

Don't take any exits off of I-95 east of the river unless you are in Connecticut. Trust me...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

First of all, stay in Manhattan if you can afford it. As tourists, there's really no reason for you guys to stray into the Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, or Staten Island. It's going to be expensive -- it's New York.

The average low/high in December is 28/42, compared to London's 37/48. Just make sure you're dressed for it.

As far as food, there are so many restaurants that it's kind of hard to start. Try http://nymag.com/bestofny/food/ for some places to start, or ask your concierge at your hotel. It's actually probably more difficult for you NOT to find good food.
I remember when I went o New York... I stepped out of the airport to the sight of two men French kissing...
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Quote by kxy1992
I live up here in New York. However, I'm over in Long Island, so if you are heading into the city, you might want a second opinion.

1. Not sure about the flight, but for everything else afterwards, you might need a lot
2. On the average, its probably around $100 a night, could be more or less
3. FREEZING (depending where you are)
4. One place I do enjoy to eat at in the city is the Hard Rock Cafe.
5. If you arent making too much noise, nobody will care if you are drinking

I hear that Long island is a pretty middle class area, i have relatives over there and its meant to be the more expensive part, but thanks for the info anyway, i'll be sure to take a jacket and other stuff.

Quote by PurpleClawz

The hotels can get pretty pricey. But most of them like the W in union square are worth it

Check orbitz

It does get very cold, but it doesn't get all that cold in manhattan compared to where I live in the Bronx. Then its like Frozen over Hell up here.

YES! If you like Sushi, go to Shima on 2nd Avenue
But don't go to TGI Fridays (I don't know if you guys have them over in England)
If you don't like Sushi go to Ollie's Noodle Shop or Rue 57 (Both on the west side, Ollie's makes chinese food[The cheap new york style chinese food places arent all that great, but Ollies is really good] and Rue 57 makes French-Japanese food)
And for more asian food, Kambi Ramen House in Gramercy Park
And for NON-asian food, The Farm on Church Avenue in Brooklyn is really good, but it does get crowded fast, and its like a 15-25 minute wait but its worth it

I'm not old enough to drink yet, but I'm sure they're pretty strict about it unless you're probably somewhere in like Grenwich Village cause the restaraunts there arent all that strict

Thanks for the info, we do have TGI Fridays over here and i'm assuming its based on the American version, i have never eaten there but apparently its overpriced, i'll take down notes from everyones comments, suggest them to my friends.
WHOMP

Last edited by donender at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by shk89
1 dont know
2 dont know
3 nothing unbearably cold as long as youre dressed properly
4 if youre going to city you should notice these stands, kind of like hot dog stands but bigger, that sell arab food. its good and pretty cheap. you have to try the lamb over rice with creamy white sauce.... mmm so creamy
5. i dont know about manhattan and thats probably where youre going. hard liquor is pretty hard to get if youre under 21 but beer is easy if you know how to play it cool like me

AVOID THE CREAMY WHITE SAUCE