-------
-------
-------
--5---- - this is what i'm talking about.
--5----
--3----

How do you prefer to play such p chords, by barring the 5th fret with one finger or do you use two fingers? Also state your reasoning, this is important for me I'm just getting into power chords and both ways have their down's and ups as far as i noticed.
I bar if its in open position, else its thre fingers
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Bar the 5, leaves my other fingers free to add in extra notes later etc
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I use two fingers to play it, it feels more familiar. A power chord is just three notes out of a full barre chord, Which is played with two fingers there. Both ways work, but i prefer using two fingers.
Bar if open, three fingers if not.
Last edited by Sneezebum at Aug 9, 2009,
While playing a standard powerchord, I use 2 fingers. I have big honkin' mitts, so it's pretty easy that way for me. It also leaves your pinky free to add notes. I jam blues with my Dad, so having that extra finger free is a godsend. It doesn't really matter which way you do it, as long as you get the clarity of the individual notes to ring out in the chord. Just personal preference, really.
I use my index, ring, and pinky fingers. It leaves my middle finger free to add the 3rd if I want.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Index finger on 3rd fret of 6th string. Ring finger on 5th fret of 5th string. Pinky on 5th fret of 4th string.
I started out doing them with 3 fingers but my teacher told me to play them with 2, and I think it's the best way because they're easier to move around with 2 fingers and you can mute with your pinky
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
i play with three incase I want to change it to a major or minor chord

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I base it on how i enter the power chord, or changing to the next chord.

So both.
Here's how I play it, and most others do too.

Index on 3, Middle Finger not doing anything, Ring finger on 5, and pinky on 5.

Help?
And, it's easier to move around (i think)
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Index, ring and pinkie. I have small hands.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
i play it both ways but mostly with 3 fingers
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I make less noise when switching power chords if I barre those two strings, but I'm sure technically it's better to to play power chords with three fingers because you would have to apply less force to hold down the strings, therefore your hand would be more relaxed and less fatigued. That would also mean you could switch chords faster in that way. Off course, that kind of logic can be implied only if you intend to play only the power chord. If you wish to add some extra notes (like a sus4 chord), then you would have to barre the two strings with your ring finger and add the needed note with your pinky.
I use 3 fingers, then my middle finger can mute the lower strings and my pointer mutes (basically bar mutes) the higher strings. I used to bar open string power chords but I quit because sometimes higher strings would end up being fretted.
3 fingers. At first I used index middle and ring, but now i use index ring and pinky so i can mute the lower strings.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Three fingers (same as above) makes it easier to make full octave changes like:

--------------
---------8----
---------7----
--5-----5----
--5-----------
--3-----------

With very little movement or effort..... but recently I've been writing in drop B (B,F#,B,E,G#,c#) so it's been 1 finger barre chords for me lol