I'll be getting a new amp in march. What tube combo/head + speakers should I go for?I'm looking at 5-10watts, play mostly metal. I play in my school band,so it sould be more or less audible with a drummer. will install active emg's later.
also, which pup combo should i use- 2x 81, 85 & 81 or 2x 85?
Also, are there any tube issues i should be aware of,u know, maintenance costs etc?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 9, 2009,
March?!? Why not NAOOOOO!
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
March?!? Why not NAOOOOO!

Cause I gotta get good marks in my 11th grade finals before my dad will even consider buying me a pricey amp. ccurrently saving up for a boss GT 10 and a pair of emg's.
btw, I like ur sig
A 5-10 watt tube amp for metal? Not gonna happen unfortunately. Closest would probably be an Orange Tiny Terror, how much are they over there?

Otherwise I'd go for a Bugera or used Peavey 5150/6505. Sure the wattage is huge, but you're mostly using preamp distortion anyway.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Cause I gotta get good marks in my 11th grade finals before my dad will even consider buying me a pricey amp. ccurrently saving up for a boss GT 10 and a pair of emg's.
btw, I like ur sig

Oh, well I guess that's understandable.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
a good 5 watt amp that plays metal well is the blackstar ht-5, with your budget you should be able to get a new one.
i would choose the 81/85 or the 81/60 if you are more of a rythem player.
Quote by Axeman99
A 5-10 watt tube amp for metal? Not gonna happen unfortunately. Closest would probably be an Orange Tiny Terror, how much are they over there?

Otherwise I'd go for a Bugera or used Peavey 5150/6505. Sure the wattage is huge, but you're mostly using preamp distortion anyway.

Wont a blackstar ht5 be ok if i use the ibanez ts9 model on my pedal to boost od?
Blackstar HT-5 and Peavey Valveking are popular here. Probably needing a pedal to boost them, but really, you should try the amps out before you make any decisions.

As far as EMGs are concerned, I liked the 81/85 combo that my buddy had in his ibanez.

Tube maintenance? Power amp tubes should last a while, preamp tubes maybe a year? Not sure, haven't had to replace mine yet. Read the manual for your amp. It comes with them for a reason.
Quote by Axeman99

The HT-5 does metal just fine, even moreso when boosted.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Axeman99

A bugera? A ****ing 120 wattmonster? I'll be kicked out of my home!
An ss 120w,ok, bearable. a 120 all tube? I'll be murdered by my neighbours, if i survive the amps sound.
it doesnt have speaks y the way. my udget is 600 for head+speaks
Quote by GS LEAD 5
A bugera? A ****ing 120 wattmonster? I'll be kicked out of my home!
it doesnt have speaks y the way. my udget is 600 for head+speaks

Don't listen to that idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es

5:20 for metal. It's unboosted as well.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
Is it loud enough for playing with a band?

No, you'll have to mic it.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Is it loud enough for playing with a band?

it should be, you have to take into account that a valve amp will be more powerfull than a solid state amp of the same wattage.
Last edited by britishsligean at Aug 9, 2009,
I should point out that micing it will be better for the mix than just blasting the sound out of the cab anyways.

Quote by britishsligean
it should be, you jave to take into account that a valve amp will be more powerfull than a solid state amp of the same wattage.

Or should I buy a cheaper mfx, forgo actives and get the bugera?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Or should I buy a cheaper mfx, forgo actives and get the bugera?

I wouldn't buy a Bugera if you paid me to, and cheap mfx are usually just that - cheap.

Besides, if you spend on the Bugera then you're going to cheap out on the cab, which means it'll sound like crap anyways.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I wouldn't buy a Bugera if you paid me to, and cheap mfx are usually just that - cheap.

Besides, if you spend on the Bugera then you're going to cheap out on the cab, which means it'll sound like crap anyways.

thenthe blackstar? or could you suggest a good 10w amp?
Guitar into HT-5. What's not to like? Then you can see what pedals you need, and will be able to judge the current pups' tone better, to see if you really need EMG's.
The HT-5 only has 2 valves, so it should be cheap enough to maintain
^not that bad.

bottomline here is there is some contradiction with what equipment you want, and what would serve the purpose. for a good metal tone you won't want 5 to 15 watt amps, you are going to want headroom in a metal rig so that you aren't getting any power amp distortion, plus most 5 to 15 watt amps will be class A. i would say you will probably want a 50 watt, class A/B amp. 50 watts will get you loud enough without muddying up your mix with power amp distortion, it will also have all that attack that metal wants via the class a/b circuit.

if you don't go by these standards, you will be wondering why you don't get that crunchy, edgy, saturated tone most metal bands get even though you got a tube amp. there are plenty of metal guitarist that used solid state amps cuz they have punch and headroom(did dimebag darrell have a metal tone?).

for speakers, i would go 2x12, either go for some g12k-100's for stability, punch, low end, and clarity(even with tones of distortion and drop tuning), or maybe mix a v30 and a g12k-100 for a bit of a mids hump to cut in the mix. there are plenty of other options though, these are popular for metal cuz both of those speakers handle lots of power, and once again metal hates speaker distortion too, cuz it muddies their mix.

one quick aside, speaker distortion and power amp distortion are not unfavorable things in general, it is just that when playing metal with lots of distortion and/or drop tuning, you will be struggling to keep your tone sharp, clear and present, and power amps distortion and speaker distortions are not your friends in this arena. if you were playing blues/rock, it would be a different story.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
^not that bad.

bottomline here is there is some contradiction with what equipment you want, and what would serve the purpose. for a good metal tone you won't want 5 to 15 watt amps, you are going to want headroom in a metal rig so that you aren't getting any power amp distortion, plus most 5 to 15 watt amps will be class A. i would say you will probably want a 50 watt, class A/B amp. 50 watts will get you loud enough without muddying up your mix with power amp distortion, it will also have all that attack that metal wants via the class a/b circuit.

if you don't go by these standards, you will be wondering why you don't get that crunchy, edgy, saturated tone most metal bands get even though you got a tube amp. there are plenty of metal guitarist that used solid state amps cuz they have punch and headroom(did dimebag darrell have a metal tone?).

for speakers, i would go 2x12, either go for some g12k-100's for stability, punch, low end, and clarity(even with tones of distortion and drop tuning), or maybe mix a v30 and a g12k-100 for a bit of a mids hump to cut in the mix. there are plenty of other options though, these are popular for metal cuz both of those speakers handle lots of power, and once again metal hates speaker distortion too, cuz it muddies their mix.

one quick aside, speaker distortion and power amp distortion are not unfavorable things in general, it is just that when playing metal with lots of distortion and/or drop tuning, you will be struggling to keep your tone sharp, clear and present, and power amps distortion and speaker distortions are not your friends in this arena. if you were playing blues/rock, it would be a different story.

Ok, then should I go for a ugera V55, or the 6260 combo model?

NVM, going for a 6260+^speaks mentioned. btw, do you get these in India?
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Don't listen to that idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es

5:20 for metal. It's unboosted as well.

No, you'll have to mic it.

It's dickheads like you that remind me why I don't come to this forum very often any more. Having never tried the HT5 for myself I'm not likely to recommend it am I?

I made a perfectly reasonable post and suggested 2 amps that are both suitable for metal. Last I checked it was possible to get a used 5150 combo in america for less than 600 dollars.

As for the wattage issue, 120 watts is perfectly usable at bedroom levels, it's not like metal is heavily reliant on power amp distortion. If you're that worried then don't get a valve amp for crying out loud.

So yeah, get your head out of your arse and stop being such an elitist prick. Have a nice day.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
It's dickheads like you that remind me why I don't come to this forum very often any more.

If I'm keeping recommendations I feel to be misguided off the boards by simply being here, explain the downside to me?

He's also in India, not Calcutta, OH.

Quote by Axeman99
As for the wattage issue, 120 watts is perfectly usable at bedroom levels, it's not like metal is heavily reliant on power amp distortion. If you're that worried then don't get a valve amp for crying out loud.

I never said anything about the wattage being too big, or unusable. However, despite the new quality control revamps, I still maintain Bugeras are piles of crap. Great sounding, mind you, but shoddily put together.
Quote by Axeman99

So yeah, get your head out of your arse and stop being such an elitist prick.

Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Quote by Axeman99
Have a nice day.

I shall.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 9, 2009,
bubb_tubbs, I love you lmao. One of the many reasons I come back to this forum +1

I wouldn't go with bugera or peavey's valveking either, imo. The bugera may sound good but from the ones I've tried out they were simply muddier, harsher, and lighter toned copies of my 5150. Hell, I thought peavey's vypyr sounded a bit more like a 6505 than bugera did. :s Valveking doesn't do too well for anything past mid-distortion, but you may like it. I just know I found it, again, too muddy. Maybe some eq and an od could change that? idk.
Quote by uncreativelolol
bubb_tubbs, I love you lmao. One of the many reasons I come back to this forum +1

I wouldn't go with bugera or peavey's valveking either, imo. The bugera may sound good but from the ones I've tried out they were simply muddier, harsher, and lighter toned copies of my 5150. Hell, I thought peavey's vypyr sounded a bit more like a 6505 than bugera did. :s Valveking doesn't do too well for anything past mid-distortion, but you may like it. I just know I found it, again, too muddy. Maybe some eq and an od could change that? idk.

+1

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
If I'm keeping recommendations I feel to be misguided off the boards by simply being here, explain the downside to me?

He's also in India, not Calcutta, OH.

I never said anything about the wattage being too big, or unusable. However, despite the new quality control revamps, I still maintain Bugeras are piles of crap. Great sounding, mind you, but shoddily put together.

Not likely to happen anytime soon.

I shall.

What do you mean, shoddily built?
So what amp+cab should I take?
What about the Peavey Valvking 212 100w?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
What do you mean, shoddily built?

Snap connections that melt. Bad solder joints. A semi-high rate of transformer meltdown.

It's all covered by warranty, of course, so you won't be screwed, but I wouldn't want my amp out of commission for a month while they ship me a new one.

alright, take a breath TS, this is overwhelming stuff here. to get the amp you need, you must first identify your needs:
-in a high school band
-your young with little money
-you are not touring in a rock band
-you need an amp for metal
-want to get most bang for buck
well, your in a high school band, not a big stage touring rock band, that means you don't need to be louder than hell, go for the minimum in wattage that will accomodate metal, i say about 50 watts will do you fine in high school. you don't have money out the butt, so a combo will have to do, you just don't have the funds for the more preferable seperate closed back enclosure. another thing that you don't need to worry too much about is quality of construction, at this point in your life you will only need this amp for 4 or 5 years at the most before you either want a better head or just aren't playing anymore. so i say if you want a bugera then go for it, how well it's made is just not overly pertinent at this point. it has to be made well enough to work a couple of years.

in general, i say find something that either has good distortion or can take pedals well, in combo form, preferably with 2x12's and you should be set for years.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae