I'm playing an Epi Les Paul Standard and a mexi strat through a Peavey Classic 30. If I just kept the amp on clean, and used the Crunch Box (MI Audio) for my OD, would that sound better, do you guys think? I'm going for tones ranging classic rock (cream, hendrix) through hard rock (gn'r, wolfmother, iron maiden). Any more questions, just ask. Thanks!
When I played the classic 30 I found the amps overdrive horrible but the crunch box is meant to do a good JCM800 tone, but check some HC reviews
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
When I played the classic 30 I found the amps overdrive horrible

Did you turn the volume past 2?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Alright, thanks. And by the way, that wah your getting is great.
Any other opinions? JCM 800, or Plexi are the tones I really need.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Did you turn the volume past 2?

Yh, I was comparing it to my AC15 and the AC15 wins all day
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Maybe you need new preamp tubes. I had the same problem when I first got my amp. I thought the overdrive on my JCM 900 sucked, but I just needed to switch the preamps.

If so, I reccomend getting a set of JJ 12AX7's from Tube Depot.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Jak Archer
Yh, I was comparing it to my AC15 and the AC15 wins all day

You can't argue taste, I guess.

I found the C30 and AC30 to be fairly similar.

Neither is anything like the 800, either.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I agree with the comments on the 30's overdrive; that's some sweet stuff if you know anything about how to dail in an amp...

To the TS- I've owned just about every mainstream high gain pedal out there, ( Digitech, Boss, Line 6, the Metal Muff thing, etc. ) and I thought they were all pretty horrible. Then I tried the Crunch Box.

Dang. The hype isn't for no reason; the thing absolutely smokes! I can't reccomned it enough. As a rule I've alwasy hated high-gain pedals, because I think they almost all sound horrible ( even though I'm a high-gain fanatic ), but the crunch box changed my opinion. They've got one of the best leads sounds of all time boxed up in that little red stomp....sounds just like a beefed up Marshall clone.