Page 1 of 2
My Hellraiser's G string goes slightly out of tune everytime.

Strings are stretched, locking nut is fine, bridge should be fine, and it's all set up.

I wonder if it might still not be totally stretched? Or is it another problem, I find it weird because it usually goes sharp. Instead of flat.

Tips??
Well
A) The strings could be TO stretched... which could cause it to go outta tune

B) It could be a problem with the floyd rose( I don't know exactly what though)

EDIT: How outta tune does it go??? like does it go from it's tuning in drop D.. to w/e it's tuning is in drop C???
Last edited by MetalGuitarest at Aug 9, 2009,
Is it only when you use the floyd rose... or just when you play normally and bend the string? cause i've known people who've had that problem only when they do a bend or a vibrato
Well if you use the floyd rose ALOT.. and i mean alot.. it will go outta tune in a half n hour...

If you just play normally and bend the strings that is the part that stumps me..umm

My guess would be the locking nut isn't staying tight for long... This doesn't mean tighten it more because i would never but the nut extermly tight. But bassicly you tighten it down after tuning with an allen wrench.. play for a half n hour.. and for some reason it has come loose.. you use the floyd rose a bit... and bam it's outta tune...

So I think it's a nut problem.. could be wrong..

Just try playing it normally.. play some good riffs and shred(doesn't have to sound good or bad) just enough to get some use outta that one string... do that for a few minutes.. and if it's i n tune still..

then try the floyd
hmmm..... i really got no clue then..

is the bridge sitting in the right position??

maybe that string is to stretched.. if you can't figure it out and no one else can help.. i'd say buy new strings
The G string is technically never really in tune all over the neck with a standard nut and it only needs to go out a little bit to sound awful. I put a compensated nut on my Strat to well... compensate for that.
it`s the g string it does it everytime on every guitar it`s a curse. live with it, there`s actually a technical reasoning but it`s all to do with tensions and the wound and unwound strings etc....
Well you've had the strings on for 3 days. That could be the problem. The G string could be stretching a little bit.

D'addario's are notorious for constantly stretching strings... but i dunno if you're using them.
The G string is going sharp? How the hell does that work?

If the other strings were stretching you'd probably notice that the rest of the strings are going flat and aren't in tune anymore.

I'd say give it a week. And if the problem is still there, then get it checked out by a tech.
Quote by KoenDercksen
Don't ask me how that works lol...

It seems that when I push down on the floyd for a few times, it goes slightly off, but when I pull up and shake it a little bit it's normal again. It must get stuck somewhere or something...

Quote by BobDetroit
The G string is technically never really in tune all over the neck with a standard nut and it only needs to go out a little bit to sound awful. I put a compensated nut on my Strat to well... compensate for that.

I posted earlier..

.. and your Floyd is either not set up quite right or getting worn out. You can try a drop of oil on the pivot screws and where the springs meet the block and where they touch the claw and if you're lucky it might help. A tremsetter is supposed to prevent this but they're a pain to set up.. I like a blocked Floyd so it's dive only. I can whammy the crap out of my guitars and they always go right back to being in tune.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 9, 2009,
BUMP

I have more details...
It goes out of tune when I pull up on the floyd, and goes back in tune when I dive.
Doing this too much will make it go out of tune permanently and I'd have to retune it again.

Anyone got a ****ing **** **** **** clue about what's going on here?

I already send an email to Floyd Rose technical support and to the owner of the store I bought the guitar, but they both haven't answered yet...
Wait a second...

You said you have the trem flat against the body so it only goes down..right?
But pulling back on the trem brings the G back in tune??

That can only mean that the trem is NOT perfectly flat against the body.
Try screwing in the claw screws tighter, AND putting MORE tension on the Bass Side so that the claw is angled a bit.

If you have a locking nut, that is ruled out.

if it goes sharp when you push down on the trem, then goes back in tune when you pull up, it may be that the string is snagging on a burr or something on the saddle.

try smoothing all points where the string contacts the saddle with some steel wool.
then put some lube on the saddle, I use just a tiny dab of vaseline.

hope that helps..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 12, 2009,
if the g string is going sharp when you're bending and such, it's getting stuck in the nut. try to smear some graphite into the slot(just draw there with a normal pencil) and see if it helps. you can, if you're feeling brave,file some in the slot with some high grit sandpaper, but try the graphite trick first.
It's going sharp when I pull UP, and then goes into tune again when I push down.

I have a locking nut and the Floyd is set up the right way, everything is alright.

It is almost as if the string is blocked by something on the saddle or something, because when I push down the strings come up and then when the Floyd is released, it will come back in it's original tuning or something...
That's not what you said in post #s 17 and 19

I'm using Ernie Balls, and the g string is usually going sharp. Maybe the other strings are stretching?

Don't ask me how that works lol...

It seems that when I push down on the floyd for a few times, it goes slightly off, but when I pull up and shake it a little bit it's normal again. It must get stuck somewhere or something...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Yeah going off means out of tune means sharp, and in 17 i said sharp, and in 26 i said sharp too.

And I said it seems like, but as I said i have more details now and its not because of pushing down... its because of pulling up
OK, so there is definately confusion about what exactly happens....

1. When you BEND the G string, what happens? Flat or Sharp? How is it resolved, Pull up or down on trem.

2. When you push down on trem, does it go flat or sharp? How is it resolved?
3. when you pull up on trem, does it go flat or sharp? How is it resolved?

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by KoenDercksen
Yeah going off means out of tune means sharp, and in 17 i said sharp, and in 26 i said sharp too.

And I said it seems like, but as I said i have more details now and its not because of pushing down... its because of pulling up

Post #9
The problem is, the strings are only like 3 days old, and the bridge is perfectly flush with the body. It's really weird xD

If you're trem is sitting flush on the body, why are you pulling up ???

conversation with a doctor:

Patient: It hurts when I hit myself with a hammer
Doctor: Don't do that

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Ahh OK. Not ALL floyds do that, some actually rest on the body so they can only go down..And you pointing out it was flush indicated to me that was the case..

sorry for confusion.

Try adding more tension on the bass side claw screws so that the claw is angled a bit. Maybe 2 full turns more on the bass side screw. And lube the saddles with either pencil lead or vaseline..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Err...

I just read that adjusting the action on the Floyd while it's stringed and thus under friction results in exactly the same problem as I have here, and I believe I did the exact same thing when setting it up >_<

How am I gonna fix that, what did I break :'(
Quote by KoenDercksen
Err...

I just read that adjusting the action on the Floyd while it's stringed and thus under friction results in exactly the same problem as I have here, and I believe I did the exact same thing when setting it up >_<

How am I gonna fix that, what did I break :'(

Where did you read that? Sounds like a wives tale or something...

Although, i MIGHT be able to see the logic in it...

If the string has tension on it when you raise the action, MAYBE there will be a difference in tension between the two sides of the contact point of the string and the saddle...

So if it's true, the way to resolve would be to Loosen the string. All the way to the point that it flops around like speghetti. Then retune it..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
It's more like, the pivot screws probably get damaged because the base plate is pressing on them while turning them. So it wouldn't be a saddle problem or anything of the likes, but a problem in the base plate getting stuck somewhere.

About the string loosening, I already did that because I did intonation AFTER changing the action
I don't buy it.

Seriously, where did you read that? got a link?

Still, if that's true, the resolution would be to

Take of all the strings, remove the saddles and use a dremmel tool to smooth off the base plate, so there are not rough spots. This of coarse may remove the chrome plating, making it suceptable to rust...But, if it's damaged, it's probably already susceptable to rust.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Definitely try a new set of strings. If that doesn't work, add new and or more springs. What gauge strings do you have on it?
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
It was on a dutch forum, it said that some kid had exactly the same problems as I do, and was after the luthier had set it up and the luthier had also lowered the action...

I don't quite know what to do, it doesn't make much sense because it should also go a little flat when pushing down then right?

I've got 10-52 strings on it, in D standard, 3 springs in the back.
Quote by KoenDercksen
It was on a dutch forum, it said that some kid had exactly the same problems as I do, and was after the luthier had set it up and the luthier had also lowered the action...

I don't quite know what to do, it doesn't make much sense because it should also go a little flat when pushing down then right?

I've got 10-52 strings on it, in D standard, 3 springs in the back.

That may be your problem. Add another spring and add totally new springs in back. I need 5 springs for my guitar with 11's. I think it's a new spring every gauge up or something. If the 3 is keeping tension okay just replace those and hope for the best. Good luck.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Page 1 of 2