I've always played power chords by barring the two strings where your 3rd and 4th fingers are supposed to go. Is this the correct way to do it? I've found that although I don't have to use my 4th finger, muting the other strings is sometimes a problem as it's quite easy for my finger to be pressed down a little too much and a string rings out when it's not supposed to.

I'm seeing guitar legends like Alex Lifeson play power chords using his 3rd and 4th fingers. Is playing power chords this way better? What are the advantages/disadvantages playing it this way compared to just barring the two strings?
Last edited by onemic at Aug 9, 2009,
I make less noise when switching power chords if I barre those two strings, but I'm sure technically it's better to to play power chords with three fingers because you would have to apply less force to hold down the strings, therefore your hand would be more relaxed and less fatigued. Off course, that kind of logic can be implied only if you intend to play only the power chord. If you wish to add some extra notes (like a sus4 chord), then you would have to barre the two strings with your ring finger and add the needed note with your pinky.
I do the same thing if I'm just doing straight power chords, but never for anything else, like triads. It's just faster that way.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I play power chords barred too, it's easier to add in other chord tones that way.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I play it with 3rd and 4th finger.
It makes a bit weird switch when I want to add other notes to the power chord, but I play them this way, so that my 1st finger can mute all the other strings. When I barre it (with the 3rd), the 3rd tends to barre at least another string I don't want to have..