So a friend of mine has got one of these...a newer model, with the mudflap girl on it. He plays something between thrash metal and death metal, and needs a heavy sound. As is, to his ears the distortion on it has plenty of gain but not enough "balls". He also says something doesn't sound right, like there's some clipping in there that shouldn't be.

My thought was that, after getting it looked over, he should swap the 6L6's for some EL34's, and get a pedal to make up for the lost gain.

He also has a ValveKing head, if that would work better. I only know bass amps at this level, so I'm not much help. Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts...I'm in the dark here.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 9, 2009,
try adding an OD to the XXX. if something doesn't sound right perhaps he needs a tube change which may also be contributing to his lack-lustre sound.

i've heard if you throw an OD on to a valveking it works great for metal-like stuff.

if he's not happy with any of these and if his tubes are changed and his XXX is still not ballsy enough try getting him to play a peavey 5150/6505. that is one of the ballsiest amps you can get. (the 5150 II and 6505+ are ballsy as well but not as much as the 5150/6505)
I should probably mention that he's 17 and working on a part-time-at-pizza-hut budget...lol.

He currently uses a boss ML-2...maybe that in conjunction with the crunch channel?
Nope, no sig here.
i don't know much about distortion pedals with tube amps but tell him to use the amps distortion and not use his ml2...
OD pedals can be expensive but i hear digitech bad monkeys are really good and inexpensive (under $100)... if the tubes are the problem he needs to get them replaced before they stop working altogether.
additionally if he still doesn't like his XXX he might be able to trade it for a 5150/6505 at a music store straight up.
I don't know his exact settings...he changes a lot.
This is the band he's in...lead. Lying to the Serpent or Floating in Ice are close to what he usually uses.
http://www.myspace.com/excessum696

If it helps, they recorded that with a line 6 toneport, and I think he used a Mesa model
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 9, 2009,
What cabinet is he using? Is it a stock Peavey cab, with Peavey speakers? If so, the cab could be the problem. XXXes react very negatively with low quality speakers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
That could be it...he's using a Valveking cab. I'll try get him to try it through the rhythm guitarist's cab.
Nope, no sig here.
Tell him not to use the metalzone and to use the Peavey's crunch and lead channels. Crunch for rhythm and lead for well....lead.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Which Peavey? lol

It's not a metal zone, it's a metal core...much different
Nope, no sig here.
first off, check my sig,

i bought it as a used floor model, only some off center knobs on front and such, no big deal

it could be his cab, or maybe his pickups, mine probably just have some stock tubes, so not the ultimate, but i think it has quite a bit of balls, the 6505/5150 series has more, but not great cleans and only two channles, so just play around with pups first, like try different guitars on it, if still no real change, try a new cab, tubes alter tone quite a bit, but most of the time only enough to say it's better i find but still a good idea to retube if you think you should
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
dont use the pedal, a bad monkey can help as a clean boost, and a speaker change could too or he could sell the valveking cab and get a used 2x12 or an avatar cab something of that loaded with celestion V30s or G12k-100 speakers they seem to work well with the triple X, the dampening switch on the back set it to Low for more balls.
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Quote by Mutant Corn
So a friend of mine has got one of these...a newer model, with the mudflap girl on it. He plays something between thrash metal and death metal, and needs a heavy sound. As is, to his ears the distortion on it has plenty of gain but not enough "balls". He also says something doesn't sound right, like there's some clipping in there that shouldn't be.

My thought was that, after getting it looked over, he should swap the 6L6's for some EL34's, and get a pedal to make up for the lost gain.

He also has a ValveKing head, if that would work better. I only know bass amps at this level, so I'm not much help. Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts...I'm in the dark here.

Hey John! It's Kaleb!

Yeah I'm the friend he's talking about.. Actually, the real problem that I'm having is that everything very static and crackle-y sounding.. Like, it's not a very pure tone at all. And when I turn up the mids or bass past 5 it's flooded, but that could be the VK412 cab I'm using. I have my suspicions that it's a power tube going out. The amp is about 5-6 years old, and the place I bought it from has a policy where they don't change tubes when they buy a used amp. So it's in the condition the previous owner left it. The tone would be perfect if it just didn't have the crackle-y static stuff. The clean tone even sounds slightly distorted.. Anyways, I tried running the Metal Core on the clean channel, really to no avail.. It didn't sound very good at all, but if the tube is going out then I have to say there's not much at all that WOULD sound good.
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."
Bad tube and/or bad bias?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Bad tube and/or bad bias?

Well that's the thing.. I'm trying to contact someone who can check the bias for me. 'Cause that's another thing I was told. You have to check the bias externally with some kinda tool I guess I don't really know much about it.. But yeah. Bias could be bad.
Quote by Killswitch666
Hey John! It's Kaleb!

Yeah I'm the friend he's talking about.. Actually, the real problem that I'm having is that everything very static and crackle-y sounding.. Like, it's not a very pure tone at all. And when I turn up the mids or bass past 5 it's flooded, but that could be the VK412 cab I'm using. I have my suspicions that it's a power tube going out. The amp is about 5-6 years old, and the place I bought it from has a policy where they don't change tubes when they buy a used amp. So it's in the condition the previous owner left it. The tone would be perfect if it just didn't have the crackle-y static stuff. The clean tone even sounds slightly distorted.. Anyways, I tried running the Metal Core on the clean channel, really to no avail.. It didn't sound very good at all, but if the tube is going out then I have to say there's not much at all that WOULD sound good.

Holy poo, you're on UG?

Aaron was showing me how it sounded crackly...that was the clipping I was talking about in the first post. I guess I misunderstood the rest a bit?

It has plugs on the back for checking the bias...can't be too hard can it? I assumed a good multimeter would work.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
Holy poo, you're on UG?

Aaron was showing me how it sounded crackly...that was the clipping I was talking about in the first post. I guess I misunderstood the rest a bit?

It has plugs on the back for checking the bias...I assumed a standard bias probe would do it?

Yup, I'm on UG! Lol. But yeah, I'm sure Aaron just explained it differently.. He can be a little one-track minded at times.

Anyways, yeah that's what they're telling me.. A bias probe will check. Question is, if it's running too cold or too hot, then..... what? And also, I've been talking to my parents about it and I might just end up exchanging it for a brand new 3120 after all. They're essentially the same amp.
You missed my edit...heh I meant to type multimeter and typed bias probe instead.

I've been checking up on this thing, and you can bias it externally...maybe you could just tweak the knob a bit and see if you get a better sound? Apparently the factory tends to bias them fairly cold.

I like the idea of the 3120 though, that'd definitely fix the problem!
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
You missed my edit...heh I meant to type multimeter and typed bias probe instead.

I've been checking up on this thing, and you can bias it externally...maybe you could just tweak the knob a bit and see if you get a better sound? Apparently the factory tends to bias them fairly cold.

I like the idea of the 3120 though, that'd definitely fix the problem!

Totally my bad. I didn't catch the edit till after I posted. I'm not sure about the multimeter.. I know you can bias it externally.. But what knob exactly would I be tweaking? 'Cause I'm not seeing one on the back anywhere. Oh well..

I'm almost fairly sure that I'm gonna exchange though. I haven't made up my mind on 3120 or 6505+ though... I love the triple XXX so much, but it's not gonna sound right until I get this worked out and then throw out another $400-$600 for a nice cab. The 3120 comes with a free Windsor cab.
You know the VK cab is better than the windsor cab, right?

I'll check the manual to make sure those plugs are for a MM. As I understand the knob is behind the grille, next to the PI tube, which should be the one closest to the power tube.
Nope, no sig here.
I know it's better.. But if Peavey decided to give away the Windsor with the 3120 then it can't be a bad match. Or maybe it is. I dunno, I'll just have to find out when I play it tomorrow.
Last edited by Killswitch666 at Aug 10, 2009,
That could be it too.. Oh well. I might just deal with it until I have money to buy another, better, probably marshall DM1960 since I'm basically making a collection of Dave Mustaine items xD
That thing is too expensive for what it is, I think :/

If nothing else, in the meantime, you could just replace the speakers in your cab with something better.
Nope, no sig here.
Yeah, you're basically paying for Marshall's name, plus Dave Mustaine's name.. and then the actual 600-700 dollar price.