Okay you know how guitars should be tuned to EADGCF if you wanted equal space between all stings, but standard tuning is EADGBe. Well that means that chords like E 022100 when you move it over becomes A x02220 becasue if the second string was tuned to C A would be 02210. Well shouldn't this apply to a chord like E minor 022000 move it over x02200 and then xx0230? But I don't know of any chords like that, so are some chords moveable from side to side and others aren't?
guitars are tuned EADGBE for a reason, if u play A open it's x02220, but if u play it on ur weird tunin it would be x0221(11) if you wanted the extra e but i spose a more realistic a would be either x0221x or x02214 both would be an A chord, i still don't know why you'd want to tune like that, it'll mess ur bare chords up as well.
Quote by `Rhys
guitars are tuned EADGBE for a reason, if u play A open it's x02220, but if u play it on ur weird tunin it would be x0221(11) if you wanted the extra e but i spose a more realistic a would be either x0221x or x02214 both would be an A chord, i still don't know why you'd want to tune like that, it'll mess ur bare chords up as well.

I'm not tuning it like that, just curious. There are 5 semitones between all chords except for between G and B that's why when tuning you hold the 4th fret on G to tune B. Guitars would be tuned like that except like you said it would screw up barre chords and E and F since they are only 1 semitone apart would not sound good together but yeah guitars would be tuned to EADGCF if based on the circle of 5ths
if it was EADGCF a wouldnt be x02210, it would be x0221x, i understand that with this tuning u can move your chords side to side but they will be different chords than those in standard tuning example: 022000 would be Em becouse it has 1,3b,5(e,g,b) in that tuning i dont know what chord it would be but its spelling would be 1,3b,5,5#,7#(e,g,b,c,f)...so if u wanted to move an Em to an Am in that spelling you would have to play it with this spelling, Em 0220-1-1 and Am x0220-1...which is impossible.that tuning is good for somethings but for playing open chords is not, there is a reason why EADGBe is standard tuning.
in other words in that tuning the chords u can move side to side are either morecomplicated than in standard tuning or advanced chords
Quote by rememberthename
if it was EADGCF a wouldnt be x02210, it would be x0221x, i understand that with this tuning u can move your chords side to side but they will be different chords than those in standard tuning example: 022000 would be Em becouse it has 1,3b,5(e,g,b) in that tuning i dont know what chord it would be but its spelling would be 1,3b,5,5#,7#(e,g,b,c,f)...so if u wanted to move an Em to an Am in that spelling you would have to play it with this spelling, Em 0220-1-1 and Am x0220-1...which is impossible.that tuning is good for somethings but for playing open chords is not, there is a reason why EADGBe is standard tuning.
Thanks that's what I was looking for. I am not tuning to that and I know why standard tuning is the way it is. I just wanted to compare chords that aren't affected to by the 4 semitone difference between GB to ones that are to see what the chords would look like on a set of strings based completely on 5 semiton difference.
ohh ok, but u made me curius myself, that tuning may be usefull for a more complicated genre, u know those genre that use some really weird chords that no one knows existed
Quote by rememberthename
ohh ok, but u made me curius myself, that tuning may be usefull for a more complicated genre, u know those genre that use some really weird chords that no one knows existed

Ha, yeah It's interesting comparing alternate tunings even if you don't play them, sometimes teaches you something about standard tuning that you didn't know.