Page 1 of 2
I'm in the midst of a problem, I'm an awful guitarist. I've been playing for around 8 months and can't play a whole song, or any solos. I don't wanna quit because I enjoy playing but my playing isn't going anywhere.

I need advice on what to do, and don't say "just practise" as I'm quite demoriallized (sp?).

Help?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
People learn at different speeds. Don't give up, that just makes everything worse. Just practice even harder.

And chances are you aren't as bad as you think.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
People learn at different speeds. Don't give up, that just makes everything worse. Just practice even harder.

+1000000000000000000000
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Acquire some lessons, and if you can't afford that, just talk to other guitarists, watch bands live, local bands, try and imitate what you see. Learning from other guitarists is seriously underrated, just go see any of your mates that play guitar, they might teach you something, or you can watch and learn, it's inspiration.

I'd also recommend learning some basic songs, just for your morale.
learn a song the whole way through, buy a new bit of gear like a pedal, pickup a album something that you wouldn`t really listen to, record your playing and listen back to yourself, join a band or find peeps to jam with, there`s loads to help you get motivated but thats just a few.
I'm taking lessons and, as much as I'd love to talk to other guitarists, most the ones I know are total egomaniacs.

And if I'm "not as bad as I think", why can I hardly play 16th notes for songs like Transylvanian Hunger or the (really easy) solo in Nemo or the main riff to Rule The World?
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
i couldn't play any songs at about 8 months either. i've been playin 2 years. but after about 10 or 11 months everything started fitting into place. soloing started becoming simpler (i learned the master of puppets and disposable heroes solos then) and everything started becoming muscle memory. maybe it'll be the same way for you, but whatever you do, just don't give up.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
do what`s fun and learn, by the way.

Cheer up, Dime didn't get his guitar skills until he died.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
I'm taking lessons and, as much as I'd love to talk to other guitarists, most the ones I know are total egomaniacs.

And if I'm "not as bad as I think", why can I hardly play 16th notes for songs like Transylvanian Hunger or the (really easy) solo in Nemo or the main riff to Rule The World?
Stop thinking so down on yourself. There are many guitarists out there who think they are gods gift to guitar when they can't play an E chord. Trust me- there are many, many worse guitarists, and again, people learn at different speeds.
First of all you have to realize this, you're not going to be able to play amazing solos, if not any solos, after playing for eight months unless you have played a lot so don't focus on that. Have you ever taken lessons? If not, that maybe be a good idea. There are certain basics such as technique and scales you must learn to become good. If that's not an option I would say just find an easy song to play, find the tabs and learn it. Don't get discouraged you learn to play all of the song except the solo, that happens to me a ridiculous amount considering I listen to Dream Theater, Metallcia, and Joe Satriani...etc. I don't know what type of music you listen to but maybe try some green day, stones, or beatles. Keep Rockin
Quote by Dawnwalker

I don't like Dime, he's over-rated. Badly.
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Quote by Dawnwalker

Quote by Wretched_Spawn
why can I hardly play 16th notes for songs like Transylvanian Hunger

16ths? It's trem-picked 32nds.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
I don't like Dime, he's over-rated. Badly.

I was aiming to this.

On topic:
learn a scale and improvise the **** out of it.
repeat with another scale.
It`s fun and you learn
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU
16ths? It's trem-picked 32nds.

Didn't know

Should I make a video of my playing so people can see what I'm doing wrong?
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Quote by ibanezgod1973
all guitarists are ego maniacs if we weren`t we would be bassists

Single greatest quote ever, i'm sigging it.
Someone said jamming, this is a seriously good suggestion. I always used to think my playing was pretty poor, but when I got playing with mates etc, I started to really make some great material, jamming is great fun, and you also start realising what you can do that others can't, which is great for morale and ego!
just work hard, let it come at it's own pace.

i use to try to strain improvising out, just let it come naturally. you'll learn better that way.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Didn't know

Should I make a video of my playing so people can see what I'm doing wrong?

It's a really good song to practise your tremolo picking, because it's 6 minutes of it nonstop.

Honestly, it most boils down to muscle memory. Keep doing it, you'll slowly start to make head way. if you're able to play the

10-9--10-9
7--7--7--7

part with your pinkie, you're a step ahead of me when I first started learning it.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by willT08
Single greatest quote ever, i'm sigging it.

I already did

And about jamming, I do that a bit with my brother, but, it really doesn't help because I think he's a really good player >.<

I have a serious inferiority complex
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
8 months man, come on, just wait 20 years, its that easy.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
After 20 years I still find some things are a bit harder and some a lot easier to pick up, A person can never learn everything even the greats still learn or they wouldnt have anything new. sometimes it takes doing a riff/song 20000x+ to get it or it may take a dozen or so it just depends on the riff in general. Now days more pros tend to record riffs, piece them together, then learn the song if they plan on doing it live if not then they pretty much don't know it just as much as you and I just that they wrote it they would have a better idea and learn it a bit faster then the general public do. when I think about that it makes me feel better when I miss a note or string and am having a hard time learning a song, Knowing I will get there depending on how much i want to put into it. Plus it helps browsing Youtube and listening to very bad guitarists to help me feel better about my own skills.
Thanks for all the advice and stuff guys. I believe I have finally found a song I can learn =)
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Thanks for all the advice and stuff guys. I believe I have finally found a song I can learn =)

well come on what is it..........
When I started guitar, I had a sense of timing (4/4, 3/4, 2/4, 6/8, whatever else there is) and rhythms, which I think helped me a lot because I could hear something and then find a tab for it and play it almost perfect after a few times...

Granted the riffs were easy and I slowed them down a lot. Back when I was just learning, the hardest song I could play was easily American Idiot. I had such a hard time getting the timing right with the main chords. I slowed it down a bunch and eventually I got it.

But now I'm playing lots of Silverstein and From Autumn to Ashes which is a lot more complicated.

Just listen to songs you have on your MP3 player and find ones that seem to have pretty simple melodies or riffs, then look up the tab. Thats what I did.
sounds like youre putting too much pressure on yourself. you've only been playing 8 months, your supposed to suck with only 8 months under your belt. you say your having fun right? well then there really isnt a problem. you're discouraged, i get that, but i am 110% proof positive that your getting better with every minute you play, whether you realize it or not. when you do play that first solo, it'll be the best feeling because it felt so damned impossible.

believe me, i've only been playing for 4 months, so i suck 4 months worse than you do. but i dont care, because its still fun. im not looking for this to be my career, and i dont expect to be like john petrucci within a year (let alone the next 15! ). i dont think you should either. that kind of expectation leads to dissapointment because they're rediculous and unrealistic

you worrying about your skill level is only hindering your playing. as my buddy snoop dogg said - no stress, no seeds, no sticks

just keep playin man. everything else will take care of itself
Find a fun, easy song, and learn it the whole way through. Don't even worry about nailing the solo, just stick to rythm if you want.

Learning a whole song does a lot for your morale.

I've been playing for about 8 months, and I've got a late start on it (I'm 28). The first couple months of playing I was ready to say screw it and send my gear back. I was trying to dive right in and play stuff WAY over my head. So I kept it simple, learned some basic open chords, scales, simple songs, played around with power chords.

I'm having a blast with it, and I've got several (mostly Metallica) songs down pretty good, rythm-wise (can't play lead yet).

So yeah, long story short, I'd say focus on some easy stuff to give yourself a sense of accomplishment before moving on.
Last edited by KAS1981 at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by Dawnwalker

Hahahaha. That made me laugh. I love dime jokes
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Get some lessons, learn the blues, try to learn a full song that has a solo. Most of the best players in the world know loads of covers. That's a big part of learning and developing your sound is learning the techniques of other guitarists and combining them into a potpurri of tone.

Oh, and I've been playing for almost 3 years. I don't know a single solo other than American Idiot
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I don't know a single solo other than American Idiot

That's not so bad, solos are pretty boring.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Well I've played probably 3 months total (spent 2 months away from my guitar)
Here are the first songs I learned and I always had fun with them

Try the intro to This town- OAR one of the first things I learned, easy to learn, it sounds cool and I still play it!
My first solo is Reptilia- The Strokes with is pretty easy its a great song to learn how to get those hammer ons and fast things down.

I think learning songs that you can play for people and have them recognize is a great motivator! Like when I learned the intro to back in black! the beginning of Aqualung is easy. The thing is you have to practice practice practice I played Reptilia literally HUNDREDS of times before I could get it down.
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
Smells like Teens Spirit is the way to go for morale-boostage.
Generation 11. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the number. Social Experiment.[/B]
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

This. I've been playing as long as you but on my 4th month i was feeling really crappy about my playing and asked UG what To do. They told me to practice more, which I decided to try. Now, 4 months later I can play about 6 songs plus about 4 alomost complete ones.
I suggest you start with Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana, it's easy and fun to play.
Page 1 of 2