Page 1 of 2
Me and a couple of friends started a band a few days ago we havent even had an official practice yet and our singer/rythyem guitarist has already started talking about making t-shirts and record deals and stuff like that. It gets so annoying. We would kick him out but we live in a town where metal and conutary is considered awesome and punk is frowned upon, so it would be nearly impossable to find someone else that plays punk . Does anybody have any advice?
Last edited by 110mac020 at Aug 9, 2009,
No need to hate, ask him to cool the **** down.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Kick him out. I know you said you don't want to but that's what you gotta do, because it will only get worse.

When you join up with new musicians, any little problems that annoy you at first will eventually make the whole thing annoying until you fix it.

Just like a girlfriend. No joke.

I had this same problem with a bassist.

Tell him "dude, we aren't starting a band so that we can make money and become famous, and if that's all that you want, then you're a sellout and i'm sure as **** not gonna be in a band with you."

That's what i did. Granted he was a bassist so it was an easier replace, but it's what you gotta do.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
How old are you guys? If you're still in middleschool or highschool I'd say he's just really excited, but if you're in college or something then tell him it's time to leave, or, find another band
I agree that he's just excited. When I first started with my band, I was thinking "Oh, Im bored, and theres no practice today, I should make a logo!" and stuff like that, just excited to be doing this, and wanting to do something related to it even when im not practicing. But our bass player started friending every record label imagineable on myspace, which I found to be ridiculous. I think its ok if hes just excited, doing something constructive, etc. And maybe even talk to your band about fame and stuff. I think its ok to aspire to do something great with your band our your music someday, but not to think, "Im gonna make a band and get rich and be famous overnight!!!!"
Dude, he's probably just really excited, and to be that excited about something new means he really likes you guys and thinks its a great fit. BE HAPPY.
Too lazy to come up with a clever or relevant sig.
So your bandmate is really enthusiastic and sounds like hes gonna put in a bunch of effort, and you wanna kick him out?
give him some time if he continues talk to other members about it and if they agree kick him
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Quote by Loves Me Trike
So your bandmate is really enthusiastic and sounds like hes gonna put in a bunch of effort, and you wanna kick him out?

+1

TS, no offence but you sound like an asshole tbh.
no, i understand where the ts is coming from. excited is one thing, thats awesome, but it sounds like the guy really just wants to make money.

yea someone else said it but if you guys are in middle school or even high school then don't worry about it, it really doesn't matter at this point.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
He really should'nt be too excited. hes been in a lot of bands before this one. I think all of them broke up because of his sell out behavior.
its pretty impossible to sell out before you make any money at all, therefore keep him around till it actually poses a problem getting gigs, recording music, etc etc then cross that bridge when you get there
Its not just his over enthuasm thats getting on my nerves. He has all these songs he wrote when he was in other bands all written about his girlfriend, and he expects us to play them all. He also has this bad habit of making fun of my guitar/playing abilities on a regular basis.
Quote by koslack
I would love to hear his side of this, but why give somebody the chance to defend himself, right? Bashing a friend behind their back is so much more fun. My favourite part is where you blame the break up of his old bands on him, despite no first hand knowledge of such. Grow up, kid.

i love your posts here no bull**** and straight to the point and typically great advice
I've talked to many of his former bandmates and most of them are in bands with each other,and pretty happy. this guys my friend,so any thing i say behind his back i would say to his face, hes a good guy so i dont hate him as a person but as a band member hes an over enthused control freak.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
i love your posts here no bull**** and straight to the point and typically great advice

Yeah that's what I liked about koslack's posts too, but it's starting to border on being more condescending than constructive...
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by BassFishin
Kick him out. I know you said you don't want to but that's what you gotta do, because it will only get worse.

When you join up with new musicians, any little problems that annoy you at first will eventually make the whole thing annoying until you fix it.

Just like a girlfriend. No joke.

I had this same problem with a bassist.

Tell him "dude, we aren't starting a band so that we can make money and become famous, and if that's all that you want, then you're a sellout and i'm sure as **** not gonna be in a band with you."

That's what i did. Granted he was a bassist so it was an easier replace, but it's what you gotta do.

If that's your approach then I'd be willing to put a lot of money on you being single.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I'd rather have someone excited (and motivated) in my band then someone who is just going with the flow. Unless you want to play bars for the rest of you life, you really need to work to promote yourselves (unless you really like playing bars).
Quote by timi_hendrix
If that's your approach then I'd be willing to put a lot of money on you being single.

I'd have to say that depends on your definition of "little things." Often that means absolutely incompatible personalities.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Therefore the analogy in your post falls apart.

Don't sack him. You haven't even had one practise ffs. I'm pretty excited about my band, we've talked about stuff like that and we've only had one practise. It makes sense to be excited at the start, especially if you've finally found some good musicians etc. He'll cool down when you get into a routine.
Quote by koslack
I would love to hear his side of this, but why give somebody the chance to defend himself, right? Bashing a friend behind their back is so much more fun. My favourite part is where you blame the break up of his old bands on him, despite no first hand knowledge of such. Grow up, kid.

pure genius
We kicked him out. After we had our first practice he criticized everones playing and told us " were never going to get a record deal with with your guys ****ty playing,you all need to get better". We also kicked him out cause he wnted to cover a jonus brothers song.
Quote by Loves Me Trike

I KNOW RIGHT!?!?!?!

how 'bout you jump on HIS bandwagon and put forth a little more effort of your own? It's the kind of things HE is talking about that will get you gigs/reputation/somewhere... or you could kick him out and have a great time jamming in your garage with you other bandmates who also want to go nowhere.

EDIT: just read your last post, and if I had to guess I'd say he's probably right. Either way, you didn't deserve him. Enjoy obscurity.
Last edited by GrisKy at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by 110mac020
We kicked him out. After we had our first practice he criticized everones playing and told us " were never going to get a record deal with with your guys ****ty playing,you all need to get better". We also kicked him out cause he wnted to cover a jonus brothers song.

You have every right to kick him out, but he could be right about your playing. You would have been better holding out longer than one rehearsal. It'd be a different story if this guy couldn't hold the weight of his words, but you haven't given me any reason to believe that he can't. In all honesty you should take things constructively, it sounds to me like he's only looking to push you guys to new levels. IMHO there is nothing wrong with wanting to sound as best as you possibly can.
Quote by take_it_t
You have every right to kick him out, but he could be right about your playing. You would have been better holding out longer than one rehearsal. It'd be a different story if this guy couldn't hold the weight of his words, but you haven't given me any reason to believe that he can't. In all honesty you should take things constructively, it sounds to me like he's only looking to push you guys to new levels. IMHO there is nothing wrong with wanting to sound as best as you possibly can.

I agree with this, but it sounds to me like he was being more like "you guys suck" than "we need more practice". And seriously... Jonas Brothers? What the ****
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
I think the Jonas Brothers comment was not true - it was created by the OP to make us take his side.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I think the Jonas Brothers comment was not true - it was created by the OP to make us take his side.

haHA! we saw right through his shrewd, wicked, evil plot.

elementary my dear AlanHB, elementary.
I have actually dragged bands kicking and screaming to play covers of Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys live. They see the light though when the crowd goes crazy.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I have actually dragged bands kicking and screaming to play covers of Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys live. They see the light though when the crowd goes crazy.

there's just something about those pre-fab hooks I suppose. I've seen this work too.
He might eventually calm down a bit, it might just be the exitement of starting band. And besides, it is better to have someone over enthusiastic than someone who doesn't care at all.
I know alot of people say he was just enthusitc but his enthusem was getting in the way. We could'nt even practice for him telling us about a potintial show he had lined up for us in a week. Plus his ego was HUGE. He thought he was the best guitarist ever just cause he owns a les paul, which is missing a tuning key but insists on playing anyway.
i was in a band with a guy like that, we had two band practices and he went and organised a gig for us!
not only that but he told us about the gig about 3hours before it was supposed to happen.

needless to say we went anfd explained why we wouldnt be playing the gig to a disgruntled, but understanding club owner, then we kicked the guy out of the band did a million times better without him!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Run Erratic
i was in a band with a guy like that, we had two band practices and he went and organised a gig for us!
not only that but he told us about the gig about 3hours before it was supposed to happen.

That's a different issue. The OPs problem was that the drummer was too enthusiastic. Your problem was that the drummer booked gigs without consulting the rest of the band first.
Soundcloud
Quote by 110mac020
He really should'nt be too excited. hes been in a lot of bands before this one. I think all of them broke up because of his sell out behavior.

Oh will you just shut the fuck up.

You're already starting to annoy the shit out of me. I really hope that YOUR band kicks your ass out instead of your band member. Talking about sell out, what are you? 9?

Quote by 110mac020

You're a lair.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Aug 24, 2009,
Page 1 of 2