So, i have this old epiphone tube amp, from the 60's. 1x12, and the controls (not counting the ones for reverb and tremelo) and volume knob and tone knob. It's an OK amp... But i can't get a good tone out of it using the distortion on my RP-250. So, should i get a distortion pedal, or just give up on this thing and get a new amp?
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
are you only using this amp for distortion? or are you using clean tones as well
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Quote by stykerwolf
Normally, i would say get a tube amp, but you have a 60's tube amp?
I would keep the amp and get a od/boost if you want higher gain. The RP series will give the same tone though a Plexi as to a MG :/

Get an OD pedal, like maybe a TS-9/808, BBE Greenscreamer, Fulltone OCD...

Would an OD have enough gain for Thrash? (Metallica, Exodus, etc)

/\ I sometimes use clean, but i joined my church's band, so now i will probably use clean more now.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
they are two extremes, i new amp will cost a whole lot more than a new dist pedal, plus you have a 60's tube amp! keep it and use it, ditch the RP and get yourself some good quality dist/od/boost pedal. i recommend the Trex Alberta, played one over the weekend and was very impressed, depends on your style though
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I'd say buy a new amp but like that guy said, that amp you have is old skool. So, maybe get a tubescreamer.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by sw1ss023
Would an OD have enough gain for Thrash? (Metallica, Exodus, etc)

/\ I sometimes use clean, but i joined my church's band, so now i will probably use clean more now.

do you like the cleans on the amp? if so then get a distortion.
if you dont look into another amp
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Quote by StratMaster2
do you like the cleans on the amp? if so then get a distortion.
if you dont look into another amp

I like the cleans, but it is REALLY hard to control your sound with a tone knob.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
that 60's epi is a hand wired tube amp, you'd be very lucky to find as nice of construction for under 1500 usd today. that being said, it's and old amp with an old tone, so don't expect to get cradle of filth tones from it, do people still listen to cradle of filth?

if you have never gotten the amp checked out, then tubes, capacitors, speakers, resistors and transformers are classic culprits for malfunctioning old amps. but you didn't say you had trouble getting it to work or getting a good tone out of it, it just sounds bad with the 250. i just mentioned these points j.i.c. your amp my need some tlc.

i have owned a digitech rp20, it's distortion was horrible and it was supposed to be the top of the line digitech back in '99. so don't expect too much from digi-distortion. i use some very nice distortion/od/fuzz/boost pedals with my vintage amps and they sound great. but i can't stress enough how important pedal choice is, i started with hand made od pedal with NOS germanium parts and hand matched components because i wanted vintage amp tones from my amps. if you are more metal oriented you may want a handmade distortion pedal, if you like old heavy rock or the white stripes then you may want a badass fuzz, if you are an amp purist and just want to be able to 'kick' the amp when you want then get a boost pedal.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by sw1ss023
I like the cleans, but it is REALLY hard to control your sound with a tone knob.

an eq pedal is an option.

if you want new tones though, you may want a new amp. for example, if you like metallica thrash, you may want a high gain amp. though metallica did use plexi style marshalls early on.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
that 60's epi is a hand wired tube amp, you'd be very lucky to find as nice of construction for under 1500 usd today. that being said, it's and old amp with an old tone, so don't expect to get cradle of filth tones from it, do people still listen to cradle of filth?

if you have never gotten the amp checked out, then tubes, capacitors, speakers, resistors and transformers are classic culprits for malfunctioning old amps. but you didn't say you had trouble getting it to work or getting a good tone out of it, it just sounds bad with the 250. i just mentioned these points j.i.c. your amp my need some tlc.

Yah, my dad blew the speaker out, so everything has been checked out, and it now has a celestion rocket 50. But the reverb tank is malfunctioning...
Pics on the way!
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Everyone never really has good advice on pedals since all people asking usually don't have good amps but bad solid states and everyone just has good advice for amps. You just turned the tables here.

I don't have a tube amp so I don't know, but does changing tubes change the sound too? Maybe you can mess with that then get a distortion pedal if you want thrash tones since from your description of your amp it doesn't seem that you have a distortion channel.

How about a metal muff since you want to play thrash? That should have enough gain and power in it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue

And yah, i was thinking about a metal muff... i'll check one out.

EDIT: The amp looks better than that, it's dirty.
Another thing, my dad is the original owner, so it's mint.
Also, is the dano Fish and Chips 7 band EQ any good? I was thinking about getting one.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Aug 9, 2009,
Pacemaker?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded
Pacemaker?

Almost... Pathfinder.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Here's a better pic (not mine)
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Quote by Ghold125
That's a nice amp, what is your budget for a Distortion pedal?

About 100, preferrably around 80 so i can get a dano eq.

EDIT: BTW, i'm running a Jackson DXMG with EMG-HZ's
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Aug 9, 2009,
haha, yeh the pacemaker has less knobs on it
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
rat proco? dunno any other around that price range that is worth it.

-ae