No, this thread is not about me being suicidal.
It's about tone

What's the point of shelling out $3,000 for a Fender Custom Shop Guitar, new pickups, a Vintage Fender Twin Reverb, and a top-of-the-line Mogami cable, when the audience probably wouldn't tell the difference between that and a Squier with a Line 6 amp.

I mean, the only people who really notice the differences in an instrument's tone are the people who actually play that instrument.

The above example may be a bit of an exaggeration, but really, if you played a Squier on stage versus an American Fender, is anyone really going to tell the difference (well, you will, and so will other guitarists, but I mean people who don't play guitar)

So why even buy nice guitars, pedals, and amps if you're the only one who notices the difference?
I wanna say something witty and cool,but i can't so ill just say Nah brah you be out on deep water...
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I can hear the difference in instruments even if I'm not playing them
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
I can hear the difference in instruments even if I'm not playing them

You can, but the average guy who doesn't play guitar can't ie most of one's audience
The difference between perceiving the different sounds is different from the guitarist to the player. The player will actively notice the tonal quality between the two setups, however, the listener will subconsciously notice the difference.

It may not mean much to them at the spot, but after a while, when they remember it, (when they recall the show) they'll "feel" the smoothness of the tone/playing, rather than just the cleanness of the notes and the actual show.

They're the small things that amplify an impression of the player from the listener's point of view, and it's a good idea to have good equipment to make those small things work on your side.
maybe because the musician wants to hear himself/herself sound good? just a thought

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Playability. It's easier to play an Ibanez JEM than a Wal-Mart first act.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Yeah, you're right. 80% of the tone is the amp, 15% is the pickups.

The guitar's the most expensive 5% ever.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by FaisalTMusic
The difference between perceiving the different sounds is different from the guitarist to the player. The player will actively notice the tonal quality between the two setups, however, the listener will subconsciously notice the difference.

It may not mean much to them at the spot, but after a while, when they remember it, (when they recall the show) they'll "feel" the smoothness of the tone/playing, rather than just the cleanness of the notes and the actual show.

They're the small things that amplify an impression of the player from the listener's point of view, and it's a good idea to have good equipment to make those small things work on your side.

FaisalTMusic wins the thread.
The audience might not be able to say "Oh man that's x guitar with y pickups running through a z amp with the mids scooped" but they'd probably be able to tell the difference between an obnoxious tone and a nice one.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Let me ask you, do you write songs that sound good to you (something you're passionate about, inspires you, lets you speak to the world through the meduim of music), or do you write songs that will be widely popular, but mean nothing to you?

....exactly.
well if your guitar sounds like **** you'll be less motivated to play good and so the audience will notice
It's the player who feels and hears the difference, I would always go for a twin reverb and CS strat over some crappy cheap gear, because the playability and tone will be much much better
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
The difference is that if you play a Squier through a Line6, you'll get less sex than the drummer.
I played my $100 amp and my $200 amp one at a time to my family when I got it, and they all noticed that the $200 amp sounds a hell of a lot better than the $100. So yes, the audience will probably notice if you sound like **** or not.
Quote by Yakult

Bollocks is it, my custom Warwick has a growl you just can't get from amps or pickups. It's all that endangered wood

TS, I don't care if the audience can't tell, but I can. When I play on stage, I play for myself- if anyone else enjoys it, then that's great, it's a bonus. I want to sound as best as possible to myself as I can. Doesn't always mean I need expensive gear, but sometimes it does.
looks to me like the horror cant afford some gear he wants and is trying to reassure himself that his audience will like the crushing overdrive on his mg
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Its kind of true, If you had a really cool paint job squire or a sunburst les paul, most people would think the squire was cooler. And it would have a cheap whammy to boot. It is a rather subtle thing, and having great tone is subliminal to the listener and effects how they respond to your playing more than you may think.
They might not be able to hear the difference, but not many people can at outrageous decibel levels. Its more important for recording though, but I see your point. People may not be able to say yeah, he's scooped his mids, but they don't just hear the same distorted tone for everyone, they can sort of tell.

Also, this is why I think that feel and technique are important, as these can be FELT by anyone.
Quote by Yakult

Sorry but my two guitars sound completly different through the same settings on my amp.
Quote by sashki
It's mainly for the artist themselves. Guitarists can be really serious about their tone and won't be comfortable until they get it perfect.

Many are inspired by their tone.

I'm no expert but I totally agree with that
well why not just play the instrument you want to play, instead of worrying what people will think of your guitar
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
amp is much more important than guitar for tonal qualities. if you play a fender deluxe strat through a line 6 it will sound worse than a squier through a quality amp.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Other non-musicians CAN tell the difference usually...

And yeah it's playability and do you really want to lhave to listen to the ****ty tone while you're playing? That would drive me crazy.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
You play music for yourself, not others and it's more enjoyable when your gear doesn't sound like an alley cat orgy
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
Course they can tell the difference. They just aren't able to express it, but the ear knows the difference. There are also other things involved here: a quality instrument is more playable, stays in tune better, and is overall more reliable.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
on a slightly cooler not, 'The Horror!' is a great username.

It reminds me of "Heart of Darkness" though, which I hated.

Here's the answer to TS's question, by the way.

You raved and you bitched when you came home about the stupidity of audiences. The goddam 'unskilled laughter' coming from the fifth row. And that's right, that's right — God knows it's depressing. I'm not saying it isn't. But that's none of your business, really. That's none of your business, Franny. An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else's.

Franny and Zooey, by J.D. Salinger.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
It reminds me of "Heart of Darkness" though, which I hated.

Yeah, I was going to go with "Mistah Kurtz" but then I thought that it might be a bit racist...