I know, "Bass Guitar" forum, but this seemed the best place to put it.

Anyway, I play upright as well, and have lately been starting to get some work. I've been using an old pickup on my bass that I found, and the thing is, even with my amp cranked all the way, the volume is simply unacceptable. My assumption is that I need a preamp. A preamp would result in a significant improvement in volume, right?

Also, as for placing the pickup itself. Right now I've got it front and center about 5 inches below the end of the fingerboard. Is there a better place?
Yes, preamps are somewhat of a necessity because of their way different impedences. You also never mentioned what kind of pickup it is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i have a K&K pickup and pre-amp set i bought from gollihur music. great sound from it. four transducers under the bridge by each string. and like the post above, the pre amp is crucial since the output Independence from an upright is significantly different than that of an electric.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by thefitz
Yes, preamps are somewhat of a necessity because of their way different impedences. You also never mentioned what kind of pickup it is.
Can't believe I forgot. TBH, it's some dinky little piezo I found lying around.

Thanks, both of you guys. I'm gonna get my hands on one ASAP.
IMO the best piezos are ones that are stuck in the bridge somewhere, typically under one of the feet. "Any old piezo" probably won't cut it. The Fishman Full Circle actually doubles as a bridge height adjuster, but apparently has a very unnatural sound.

Personally, if I ever end up with a proper upright (which I plan to make my next purchase some time next year - a 4/4 bass - any recommendations?), I'm going to get a 2-channel preamp with a piezo and a Schaller magnetic pickup. That way I can counteract the piezo's airy clack with the magnetic's full low end, as well as counteracting the magnetic's lack of focus with the piezo's overall clarity.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I know it won't be great, and will get a new pickup eventually, but I think at this point I need a preamp period more than a new pickup. I just need something vaguely usable for now.