How much would it cost to switch out the wharfdale speakers in my ac15 for celestion Alnico blues? Would it be worth it to improve the tone?
Last edited by djjazzyjames7 at Aug 9, 2009,
Note: Alnico, not alcino. Stands for AlNiCo, Aluminum/Nickel/Cobalt.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Well there's only one speaker, so I'd say it would cost whatever the cost of a new AlNiCo Blue is. Why don't you look up the price of a new one (hint: Google) and there you have it. I'm pretty sure they're between $2-300 bucks.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
well, the Alnico will improve your tone, but it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
well, i've already got an ac15 getting shipped to my local guitar center for me with the wharfdale speaker. My question is would it be cheaper to just buy a speaker when i get it and replace the wharfdale, or should i tell them i want the one with the alnico in it?

also, would it be better to get an ac15 with the alnico or an ac30 with the stock speakers? I'm gonna be using the amp for gigs, so its gonna need to be pretty loud anyway.
Last edited by djjazzyjames7 at Aug 9, 2009,
yeah, well i'm talking about the tone of the ac30. Would the tone of an ac30 with wharfdale's be better or worse than an ac15 with an alnico?
Ah, yeah, you asked if it was cheaper which was something you could figure out on your own. As far as gigs, you should really have the AC30. You'll lose a lot of clean headroom with the AC15, even with the Blue. I saw get the AC30 with wharfdales.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
You could always get weber or eminence copies of the Alnico Blue
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
couldn't i just mic the ac15? and i still dont completely understand the concept of headroom. I think i do but i'm not sure. could someone please clarify why "loss of headroom" is a bad thing?
Last edited by djjazzyjames7 at Aug 10, 2009,
Loss of headroom means your tone is congested, sort of like it's (the clean tone) is trying to fill a space too cramped and so it gets darker and more gritty.

^ my best try of an explanation
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
so, why would i spring for an ac30 to get louder when i could just get the ac15 with the alnico blue and mic it?

would the tone of the ac15 with an alnico blue be better than that of the ac30 with wharfdales?
Last edited by djjazzyjames7 at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by djjazzyjames7
so, why would i spring for an ac30 to get louder when i could just get the ac15 with the alnico blue and mic it?

would the tone of the ac15 with an alnico blue be better than that of the ac30 with wharfdales?

Which amp do you like the tone of better? The AC15 isn't a 1/2 powered AC30. They can sound similar, but they are not the same thing.

If I were gigging. I'd go with the AC30. Since you are miking the amp. You can get away with using an AC15.

I'd get the AC15 w/ Wharfdale. If you don't like the speaker, go with a Weber AlNiCo Blue.

I have an AC15 w/ Wharfdale. I bought a Weber AlNiCo Blue. I like the Wharfdale better.

Also, if you get an AC15. Make sure to do the bright cap mod. Improves the amp nicely.
http://www.guitarpug.com/2008/06/vox-ac15cc-mod-guide/
what do you mean "milking" the amp?

I am gigging, but i usually just mic my amp, i'm sorry but that post didn't quite answer my question. I need to know if the tone is better on an ac15 alnico or an ac30 wharfdale. I need an answer as soon as possible because the amp is already on it's way.
^Miking, not milking. Miking is the same a micing.

Also, you need to try both out by yourself. I like an AC30 stock, but love the AlNiCo blue one. I don't like the AC15 stock as much as the stock AC30, but with a Blue I might. Like The Real Ming said the AC15 is a different flavor from the AC30

It is up to your ears to decide. We cannot decide whether or not you like the tones we enjoy.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Aug 10, 2009,
Tone is subjective, you should of played both amps, or at least listened to them before you bought one.
Headroom is when you turn the clean channel up really loud, and it starts to naturally overdrive at a certain point. The amount of volume you get before the breakup is your clean headroom.

As far as the tone difference, everyone has said that they're two different amps. You need to play on them before you can make that decision. Tone is subjective, there's no right answer and none of us will know what's right for you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
My suggestion would be to wait for your AC15 to come in, then mess around with it for a while. It's a really great amp, you can get a lot of cool tones out of it. However, if you still aren't satisfied, then find out more about the Alnico and AC30. If you like one of those better, then go for that one, and sell the AC15 (Or keep it as a practice amp or something).
ok thanks for all the help everyone. Just one final question, what are the main tonal differences between the alnico and the wharfdale speakers? Are they brighter or warmer or what?
Alnico's are meant to sound warmer and smoother, but I've haven't compared the alnico to the wharfedale, but the Alnico is a very nice speaker
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly