Oftentimes a solo will have a common low fret (e.g. 5th fret) such that you're playing on the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th frets up and down the strings. In this situation I often barre across the 5th fret and use my other fingers to play the other frets, but when I watch professional guitarists solo, I notice that they all angle their hand in such a way that barring would seem impossible, so I figure they must be quickly moving their index finger up and down the 5th fret instead of barring?

What's going on here? Am I just imagining that they're not barring? Should I be trying to emulate that wrist angle and learn to solo like that? Is barring during soloing a bad habit that I need to break?

Any advice is appreciated.
It is not barring, but "rolling"; if they were barring then all the notes that are on the barred string would continue to ring out.

say you have something like

e|
B|---5-7-8-----5-7-8--
G|-5-------8-5-------8-
D|
A|
E|

you play the g string 5th fret and then "roll" your finger down to hit the 5 fret on the b string, effectively stopping pressing on the 5th fret g string and thus muting it. Same thing goes for the 8th fret, you have to roll up, which I find harder to do, you have to learn to land your finger not quite on the tip so you can roll it up and have it press the other string

sorry if im not explaining it all too great, but this is the technique youre looking for I believe

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
E|--------------------------| 
B|--------------------------| 
G|--------------------5-7-8-| 
D|--------------5-7-8-------| 
A|-------5-6-8--------------| 
E|-5-6-8--------------------|

unless you mean something like that, in which you quickly move the index finger.

But if you mean play a 5 on a string, then a 5 on another etc, then roll as has been said
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M