Page 1 of 2
Hi,

i just got a permit to play in the streets of Bruges for a week.
But i don't know if it will be good.
I'll play instrumental pop songs on my classical guitar.
But i don't think it's loud enough, and i sometimes make small mistakes.
Anyone else had this problem?
Quote by toine

i just got a permit to play in the streets of Bruges for a week.
But i don't know if it will be good.

First you get a permit and THEN you wonder if it will be good.

Well worked out!
Get a pickup and use an amp, or play somewhere with decent acoustics. Good classical players can project very loudly without amplification.
Quote by deHufter
First you get a permit and THEN you wonder if it will be good.

Well worked out!

actually it wasn't me who requested it, it was a friend, and i could use some extra cash.
Quote by Loves Me Trike
Get a pickup and use an amp, or play somewhere with decent acoustics. Good classical players can project very loudly without amplification.

it was clearly stated in the documents i recieved that amps are not allowed
Quote by toine
actually it wasn't me who requested it, it was a friend, and i could use some extra cash.

What do you want us to say? If you aren't good enough to play an interesting set, than you're ****ed. Just keep your hopes up that people will give you money out of pity. Wear some mangy clothes and pretend you are homeless.
Quote by Loves Me Trike
No offense, its not particularly bad or anything but you aren't nearly good enough to be a street performer.

ok, guess i won't do it then
Quote by Loves Me Trike
What do you want us to say? If you aren't good enough to play an interesting set, than you're ****ed. Just keep your hopes up that people will give you money out of pity. Wear some mangy clothes and pretend you are homeless.

Just give it a go if you already have a permit. It helps your confidence to play infront of people, and busking is a great place for that... mainly because hardly anyone cares.

Small mistakes aren't such an issue, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Volume is an issue, but you don't know how that'll go until you actually do it... I've done a fair amount of busking and fingerpicked songs are generally alright, although it depends on where you are.

As for ability, you're on a street, people aren't generally great judges of skill, if they recognise it and you play it with enough confidence that's all that matters. And don't be disheartened when most people don't give you money... they never do. But it averages out.
Quote by toine

Don't feel bad or anything, being a street performer (a good one anyway) is very difficult. People aren't going to stop for you unless you are have something that is immediately attention grabbing. You can still do it for a laff, just don't expect to make any money.
Last edited by Loves Me Trike at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by Sam_Vimes
Just give it a go if you already have a permit. It helps your confidence to play infront of people, and busking is a great place for that... mainly because hardly anyone cares.

Small mistakes aren't such an issue, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Volume is an issue, but you don't know how that'll go until you actually do it... I've done a fair amount of busking and fingerpicked songs are generally alright, although it depends on where you are.

As for ability, you're on a street, people aren't generally great judges of skill, if they recognise it and you play it with enough confidence that's all that matters. And don't be disheartened when most people don't give you money... they never do. But it averages out.

finally an answer!!

Thanks, i'll give it a go and if after an hour no one stopped or gave money i'll go home ^^. I'ts always pretty crowdy in the streets of Bruges, a lot of tourists, so i think that their might be some people that will stop if they recognize a song.
Thanks for encouraging me!
Quote by toine

Nah man, don't let the wannabe tough guys deter you. They're just nerds and losers who vent through this board.

You've got solid skill based on your video, and I've played that style so I know what I'm talking about. I've played in public like that before, and people were very impressed with the stuff I viewed before as "simple" or "unappealing." You know why? Becuase the majority of them aren't musicians, so anything you play well they will likely find impressive. Also if you make one mistake, its no big deal. Happens to all of us, you can cover it up, and the listening public isn't likely to notice anyway.

Play your heart out, bro. Good luck!
Quote by Axe720
Nah man, don't let the wannabe tough guys deter you. They're just nerds and losers who vent through this board.

You've got solid skill based on your video, and I've played that style so I know what I'm talking about. I've played in public like that before, and people were very impressed with the stuff I viewed before as "simple" or "unappealing." You know why? Becuase the majority of them aren't musicians, so anything you play well they will likely find impressive. Also if you make one mistake, its no big deal. Happens to all of us, you can cover it up, and the listening public isn't likely to notice anyway.

THANK YOU!!
i'm feeling more confident already ^^
so even if it's a simple melody for a pop song, it's ok?
Quote by Axe720

Lmfao, you know what you are talking about? Frigging nerd probably play a half assed version of classical gas and he thinks hes an expert judge of ability. Playing in the street isn't for every douche bag that can play a few songs to impress his friend Dave. You might impress a few goobers out there, but the real people know whats going on.
Quote by Axe720

If realistic equals wannabe tough + nerd +loser, then count me in.
toine, the problem with busking is that whilst over a whole day out you generally get a roughly similar amount, there can be periods for everyone when you don't get much. Don't be disheartened after an hour, do it for a couple and just see what happens. And yes, playing pop songs is okay, people like to hear things they know... I busk a bit with a sax player, and sometimes take five gets us a lot, but often walking on sunshine will get us more. So don't worry, better to play what you can.
I play sometimes around December doing classical renditions of holiday songs and it works out pretty well. Tarrega also seems to go over well pretty much anywhere.

From the video though, work on putting some life into the songs. Right now it sounds like some computer midi file, put some dynamics and just make the fingering changes smoother (practice slower)
Quote by rockinrider55
I play sometimes around December doing classical renditions of holiday songs and it works out pretty well. Tarrega also seems to go over well pretty much anywhere.

From the video though, work on putting some life into the songs. Right now it sounds like some computer midi file, put some dynamics and just make the fingering changes smoother (practice slower)

thnx for the advice
Quote by Loves Me Trike
Lmfao, you know what you are talking about? Frigging nerd probably play a half assed version of classical gas and he thinks hes an expert judge of ability. Playing in the street isn't for every douche bag that can play a few songs to impress his friend Dave. You might impress a few goobers out there, but the real people know whats going on.

If the Real people knew what was going on Lady gaga wouldn't be so popular would she.

You'll be fine, not only that, but you may attract more attention playing easily recognized pieces. Just don't go expecting to get rich, have fun.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by Red33
If the Real people knew what was going on Lady gaga wouldn't be so popular would she.
You'll be fine, not only that, but you may attract more attention playing easily recognized pieces. Just don't go expecting to get rich, have fun.

so true!

thanx i'll just try to have fun
Lol. Yeah these sheeple don't know anything about music, such a shame they cannot appreciate high art.

*goes out plays weak ass amateur guitar and justifies it with the fact that "people don't know any better"*
Quote by Loves Me Trike
Lol. Yeah these sheeple don't know anything about music, such a shame they cannot appreciate high art.

*goes out plays weak ass amateur guitar and justifies it with the fact that "people don't know any better"*

why are you still posting here?
Quote by toine
why are you still posting here?

Don't get offended. Just face the fact that you aren't ready to put on a public performance yet.
Quote by Loves Me Trike

Maybe he's the amateur player now, but as long as he's okay playing with what the people want to hear when he gets better, HE will always have a gig.

Plenty of amazing musicians I know play music that's not what they listen to/want to play but it pays the bills.
Quote by Loves Me Trike
Don't get offended. Just face the fact that you aren't ready to put on a public performance yet.

we'll see , i'll go out and play and tell you how it went!
Quote by toine
we'll see , i'll go out and play and tell you how it went!

Go out have and have a laff. Sorry for being an asshole, for reals.
Quote by toine
THANK YOU!!
i'm feeling more confident already ^^
so even if it's a simple melody for a pop song, it's ok?

Play what you want. You can't guarantee who will be impressed by it, or who it will appeal to, but theres a chance someone will dig it. Thats the beauty of music. Different music connects with different people differently.

Quote by deHufter
If realistic equals wannabe tough + nerd +loser, then count me in.

Nah, but being condescending and critical for the sake of trying to come off as "hard" or "tough" on these boards puts you into that category. Seriously. Its a great way to make a tool out of yourself.

Quote by Loves Me Trike

First, let me say *reported*. This message board isn't for you trying to flex your e-muscles because you were picked on throughout school. And second, I don't think you should be trying to down people's musical abilities when I can't find one link to any of YOUR compositions or videos of you playing. If you think his playing sucks, or I'm not a good judge, lets hear some of YOUR compositions, and maybe you can give us lessons. (And before you go on youtube and try to find a random one to pass off as yours, let me remind you that you can get in deep crap for stealing music that isn't yours).

Not to mention your argument is flawed. "People aren't going to stop for you unless you play something that grabs their attention." How do you know it won't grab their attention? How do you know who will hear it, and how it will appeal to them? Using over generalizing statements is a great way to have your argument picked apart, which in turn ends up making you look like a fool. Seriously, think before you post.
Quote by Axe720
Play what you want. You can't guarantee who will be impressed by it, or who it will appeal to, but theres a chance someone will dig it. Thats the beauty of music. Different music connects with different people differently.

Nah, but being condescending and critical for the sake of trying to come off as "hard" or "tough" on these boards puts you into that category. Seriously. Its a great way to make a tool out of yourself.

First, let me say *reported*. This message board isn't for you trying to flex your e-muscles because you were picked on throughout school. And second, I don't think you should be trying to down people's musical abilities when I can't find one link to any of YOUR compositions or videos of you playing. If you think his playing sucks, or I'm not a good judge, lets hear some of YOUR compositions, and maybe you can give us lessons. (And before you go on youtube and try to find a random one to pass off as yours, let me remind you that you can get in deep crap for stealing music that isn't yours).

Not to mention your argument is flawed. "People aren't going to stop for you unless you play something that grabs their attention." How do you know it won't grab their attention? How do you know who will hear it, and how it will appeal to them? Using over generalizing statements is a great way to have your argument picked apart, which in turn ends up making you look like a fool. Seriously, think before you post.

You are a massive baby. If you think hes good enough to be a street performer, you aren't a good judge of ability. Simple as that. No e-muscles here mate. You're a bad judge of ability, and a big ole crybaby to boot.
Last edited by Loves Me Trike at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by Loves Me Trike
You are a massive baby. If you think hes good enough to be a street performer, you aren't a good judge of ability. Simple as that. No e-muscles here mate. You're a bad judge of ability, and a big ole crybaby to boot.

Well technically, you know little about his ability from one peice. But street performers are often at various skill levels, and even the simplest music can be appealing to people; as a matter of fact through my expereinces, such music is more appeling to common people and non-musicians. So, again, your argument is flawed.

And oh yeah, I think you (accidentally of course) missed the part where I called your compositions/playing into the equation. Lets hear some of your stuff? You can prove you are right about me and the TS not being able to judge music, if you can show us the high caliber of musical ability you have. Go ahead, I'll wait.
Quote by Axe720
Well technically, you know little about his ability from one peice. But street performers are often at various skill levels, and even the simplest music can be appealing to people; as a matter of fact through my expereinces, such music is more appeling to common people and non-musicians. So, again, your argument is flawed.

And oh yeah, I think you (accidentally of course) missed the part where I called your compositions/playing into the equation. Lets hear some of your stuff? You can prove you are right about me and the TS not being able to judge music, if you can show us the high caliber of musical ability you have. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Nay bother. I'll post some compositions soon but right now I'm unable.
Quote by Loves Me Trike
Nay bother. I'll post some compositions soon but right now I'm unable.

Drop me a message when you do, I'd like to hear.
Dude, you should play this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKN9c1llqhc

Anyways, more to the point, just go out and have a good time. Get a couple songs you feel comfortable with and people might recognize. Songs with a bit of energy are usually better than slower, moody ones (Unless maybe it's around the holidays). Don't play for profit but for yourself and for the audience. Getting into the songs help too.

Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Definitely go out and play! But Bruge is my favorite place in Belgium, if you tarnish that place with ur inability to make good sound, I will take it personal and hound you down on the street. You just watch....just watch....

Until then, have fun
Some of us need to go back and double-check the forum rules. Name-calling (ie. flaming) is good for an automatic warning.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I agree with the gut that said you need more attention grabbing material. The Chariots of fire cover wasn't bad at all, but on the street with people walking by, you've got a shorter time span to catch someone's attention. I'm not sure if you've seen the Pixar short with the street performers, but that type of very intense music suits the situation better, in my opinion. Oh, and huge props to Loves Me Trike for the avatar.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
I find most street performers have 95% of the people just walk on by. Really, most people don't care. They'll chuck a couple of quarters in your case if you're reasonably okay or reasonably lucky and move on. They generally won't hang around for much.

We've all seen the toothless guy who hangs out playing this out-of-tune guitar with only four strings out in front of the beer store. Even he gets money.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Page 1 of 2