Are there any negative consequences of adjusting a floyd rose style trem so the arm is contacting the body of the guitar? (other than not being able to rock the trem backwards)

I have an Ibanez with a FR style trem and it goes out of tune every time I use it. My thoughts were if I adjusted it so It couldn't go back any further, set the guitar in tune, then the only use the trem forward, it would stay in tune.

Or am I overlooking something?

EDIT:*** Sorry, this guitar is just a floating bridge, not a FR style trem ***
Last edited by ShiftyMcQuick at Aug 9, 2009,
if i were you i'd just get hold of a tremol-no and block it in the back of the cavity.
Sorry, completely forgot, this guitar is just a floating bridge, not a FR, hence the tuning problem.
Last edited by ShiftyMcQuick at Aug 9, 2009,
You said Ibanez. Uh-oh.

Your bridge wouldn't happen to be called an Edge III, by any chance? Their knife edges wear down very fast and then simply put, the bridge will never stay in tune.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Tremol-no, Block the trem, But the best thing anyone can ever do in this situation is just learn how to work with Floating trems... Believe me, it feels so good to be in a thread where every one is talking crap about Floyds, How there Soooooo hard to set-up, Knowing We are the few who can do it right...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Tremol-no, Block the trem, But the best thing anyone can ever do in this situation is just learn how to work with Floating trems... Believe me, it feels so good to be in a thread where every one is talking crap about Floyds, How there Soooooo hard to set-up, Knowing We are the few who can do it right...

Haha I was wondering if there were anybody out there who likes them. So is it possible for me to set up my trem and not loose tune everytime I use it?
Quote by ShiftyMcQuick
Haha I was wondering if there were anybody out there who likes them. So is it possible for me to set up my trem and not loose tune everytime I use it?

Absolutely, All you have to do is make sure the bridge is parallel to the body. Only problem is, I don't know the quality of the trem you have, so that in itself could make it go out of tune.

Also remember, you can't change tunings with the fine tuners.

&

Every time you change tuning/ string gauge you will have to re-setup the bridge.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
you people clearly are not reading the thread, he has a 2 point "vintage" style trem, similar to a strat bridge. the best way to fix this problem is to string it correctly, and maybe hit the nut with some graphite to lube it. locking tuners may also help, but i have the sneaking suspicion that we're talking about a starter guitar and that locking tuners are not a good investment
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
you people clearly are not reading the thread, he has a 2 point "vintage" style trem, similar to a strat bridge. the best way to fix this problem is to string it correctly, and maybe hit the nut with some graphite to lube it. locking tuners may also help, but i have the sneaking suspicion that we're talking about a starter guitar and that locking tuners are not a good investment

Yeah, its an Ibanez RG120. I was hoping there was a way to get out of this tuning issue without forking over $70 for the tremol-no. Why cant you just crank the adjusters down until the trem hits the body?
Just stick the full 5 springs in the cavity and tighten the claw a little, I guarantee it won't budge.

You can't avoind the guitar going out of tune when you use the trem, that's the fault of the tuners as much as anything else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
After seeing its a rg120 i suggest throwing that thing in the fire pit its a very cheap guitar and w/o a new trem, and tuners it will never hold tune.
Quote by steven seagull
Just stick the full 5 springs in the cavity and tighten the claw a little, I guarantee it won't budge.

You can't avoind the guitar going out of tune when you use the trem, that's the fault of the tuners as much as anything else.

Ah, ok now that makes sense. Thanks.

Yeah it's just a cheap guitar, not so sure about the fire pit, but probably no whammy action.

Thanks to all for the help.
Just for the record TS, that is a vintage-style trem, not floating. Floyd Rose tremolos ARE floating bridges.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS: