Hi

Well I am starting a home studio to record me my band and friends bands. I will be ordering a Dell Studio 15 laptop tonight. My problem is I can't find a good software and interface that people on this board think will do what I am looking for. I am looking to record and maybe even play my guitar through sometimes. I was told to stay away from Line 6 recording and those type things made by them. I have looked Into Digidesign and Cakewalk. I can't choose which to buy. I have a price limit from 300-400. And i wont need mics or anything else like that because my dads a program director at a radio station and he has a dj company.
Well considering your starting out, look into the ZOOM R16, fairly cheap, very worth it. I record line in through my amp and the mastering tools on this interface works.

And I suggest not getting a DELL, but thats my opinion and this isnt a computer forum :P
k,

is that budget in sterling or dollars?

Do you HAVE to use a laptop - Does your studio have to be mobile?

What spec is the laptop you are ordering? Because even the most expensive one i can find is only dual core, though is 64 bit at least
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Its in dollars
I would perfer using a laptop. It doesnt have to be mobile either. We r gonna use my garage.
And i will look into the stuff yall have sugested. But does anyone have reviews and opions about sonar 8 and pro tools
Quote by Night_Warrior
Well considering your starting out, look into the ZOOM R16, fairly cheap, very worth it. I record line in through my amp and the mastering tools on this interface works.

And I suggest not getting a DELL, but thats my opinion and this isnt a computer forum :P

Why not dell? I am a mac person but my parents dont wanna drop 2gs ona mac and have me break it...
Dell are fine, over the years I've configured thousands of them...

Your issue is that you are going laptop over desktop.

Whatever your quote is for the laptop, see what you can get spec-wise on a dell desktop
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by zoso_boy99
Why not dell? I am a mac person but my parents dont wanna drop 2gs ona mac and have me break it...

Im a Mac guy too, but untill I get a job, I am stuck on my eMachine

But I dont like Dell because they are rude (customer service). They are overpriced, they might seem like a good deal, but its not worth it. They also put you on different plans on your credit card, like 30% Interest and crap like that.
wow haha that blows. I looked at the R-16 i like it. haha it didnt have any software listed with it. Can u buy software too?
It comes with Cubase-LE 4. I would personally Personally upgrade to 5 or work with something that can take edit MIDI, cause I work with alot of backing tracks and MIDI's.

I would look into Sonar 8 Cakewalk or Ableton Live 8 Pro, Or Cubase 5
Last edited by Night_Warrior at Aug 9, 2009,
No problem, you might also want some DI boxes and hum eliminators for line in, that is if you are going with line in.
Quote by Night_Warrior
It comes with Cubase-LE 4. I would personally Personally upgrade to 5 or work with something that can take edit MIDI, cause I work with alot of backing tracks and MIDI's.

LE 4 does midi doesn't it?

I'm on Cubase Studio 5 and love it, want to upgrade to the full version though for the convo reverb and 'save audio to midi' in variaudio
Quote by cuthbertg
LE 4 does midi doesn't it?

I'm on Cubase Studio 5 and love it, want to upgrade to the full version though for the convo reverb and 'save audio to midi' in variaudio

I dont think LE 4 does, its a very watered down version. Yhea, that save audio to MIDI is really cool.
Quote by Night_Warrior
I dont think LE 4 does, its a very watered down version. Yhea, that save audio to MIDI is really cool.

It shaw is

I'm sure LE4 had midi (if not, I've given loads of people really duff advice.... )

Is this it? http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/musicproduction/cubaseessential4_product.html
Quote by Night_Warrior

Wait so can i run Sonar 8 on this?
Just my $.02, Sonar and Home Studio need alot of memory, I've got 2 gigs and it runs decently, I would look into reaper (its free), pro tools, adobe audition, cubase, ableton, they're all good, but speaking from experience cakewalk is a memory *****.
i have never had a problem with dell .we buy all of our computers from then
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Reaper is the cheapest and best D.A.W. (IMO) only 60 bucks and the GUI is good and user friendly. Takes minutes to learn.

Only think i don't know is how to get three or more audio inputs on it.
Quote by Comrade Curry
Just my $.02, Sonar and Home Studio need alot of memory, I've got 2 gigs and it runs decently, I would look into reaper (its free), pro tools, adobe audition, cubase, ableton, they're all good, but speaking from experience cakewalk is a memory *****.

Why does everyone say REAPER is free? It's not. You use it for 30 days and then they make you pay!
There be no shelter here.
Quote by courtkid1012
Why does everyone say REAPER is free? It's not. You use it for 30 days and then they make you pay!

well its fully capable for the 30 days then after those 30 days a little message comes up saying your past the trial and makes you wait 6 seconds. i myself have bought it, however most would just wait the 6 seconds and not buy the software (which is really amazing for the price) so its not techinically free, but imo it makes it too easy for people to steal it. i think after the 30 days it should stop working.