Page 1 of 2
Here on UG everyone goes on about how great the HT-5 is, but seriously the tone sucks! They are way too overrated. I guess it's a lot better than the MG I had before.

Apparently if you change the tubes for the pre-amp it sounds a hell of a lot better, which I shall be doing in the future.

Anyone else feel the same?

Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
People don't all like the same things. I liked the HT-5, but I guess you don't. that's why you should try before you buy
The tone isn't astonishingly good or anything, but it is far from sucking.

If you dislike yours so much why don't you return it and let us enjoy ours?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Its a great amp!
It has great tone imo
I would own one right now if it had more wattage.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by ch0

Hey, is it you that put your Blackstar on Craigslist?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by ch0

Jeez, man I didn't say that you can't enjoy yours! I was asking if anyone else here thought the HT-5 was overrated.
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Quote by LifesSweetDrug
Here on UG everyone goes on about how great the HT-5 is, but seriously the tone sucks! They are way too overrated. I guess it's a lot better than the MG I had before.

Apparently if you change the tubes for the pre-amp it sounds a hell of a lot better, which I shall be doing in the future.

Anyone else feel the same?

in its price range its the best id say.
i mean what are you comparing it to other then your mg? mefinks you need to play with it more.
And the answer is a pretty concise "no". Lots of people jump on the bandwagons, and after reading many recommendations I tried it in my guitar shop and subsequently bought it as it's

A) Low Wattage (I don't gig, bedroom ftw).
B) Good value for money, two channel tube amp for £300, can't go wrong.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by stephen_rettie
in its price range its the best id say.
i mean what are you comparing it to other then your mg? mefinks you need to play with it more.

Well I admit it good for the price range, but everyone puts it on a pedestal which I don't think is quite right.
Fender American Strat
-
-
If you're not gigging, looking for anything loud and want something that covers alot of bases then its a nice little amp. it has a decent clean channel, which breaks up/od's nicely. ISF knob is great for the Drive channel, and it takes OD pedals like a champ on both channels.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
there's always someone who has a problem when anyone puts anything on a pedestal. an amp, a pedal, a guitar, a band, a song, etc. do you really have to make a thread about it?

besides that, overrated is a dumb way to describe these kinds of things. How could it be overrated if everyone likes it? It's not like a professional athlete who actually puts up mediocre numbers, but has a throng of devoted followers saying said athlete is the best ever.

and life's sweet drug is a bad ****in song
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Hey! No hating on the Blackstar HT-5!

I love mine! It's the best bedroom amp mankind has ever seen!

/fanboyism
Quote by LifesSweetDrug
Jeez, man I didn't say that you can't enjoy yours! I was asking if anyone else here thought the HT-5 was overrated.

I wouldn't say it's any more overrated than the 5150/6505 is on here.

I'd say the Tiny Terror is far, far more overrated than the HT-5 ever could be.

You have to remember that this board is full of teenagers with ****ty earning brackets, so lower-priced stuff that sounds decent (Bugera, the HT-5, Classic 30) are going to get far more recommendations than better stuff.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I haven't heard many other amps that can compete with it at $225-250USD out the door. Personally, I think it sounds better than some of the more popular and more expensive small wattage heads in it's class. So in my own opinion, no, not overrated, but YYMV obviously. Tone is subjective to the listener.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Ht-5 Ftw. Gtfo.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Not really. It's ok, but around here they were recommending it before it was even available. Wonder if they did that with the MG before it came out. Buyer beware.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by psychokiller99
there's always someone who has a problem when anyone puts anything on a pedestal. an amp, a pedal, a guitar, a band, a song, etc. do you really have to make a thread about it?

besides that, overrated is a dumb way to describe these kinds of things. How could it be overrated if everyone likes it? It's not like a professional athlete who actually puts up mediocre numbers, but has a throng of devoted followers saying said athlete is the best ever.

and life's sweet drug is a bad ****in song

Your the first person who actually knows what might username is about
Fender American Strat
-
-
well everybody has their own opinion but i think it is a great amp for its price range and great if want to crank something in your house without making your neighbors move. and you do get a lot of other stuff that you usually dont get on a 5 watter like an fx loops, 2 channels, and the isf. overall i think its a steal.
Quote by LifesSweetDrug
Your the first person who actually knows what might username is about

haha. not surprising. ain't life grand isn't a very well known album, but it's really good.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by bubb_tubbs

You have to remember that this board is full of teenagers with ****ty earning brackets, so lower-priced stuff that sounds decent (Bugera, the HT-5, Classic 30) are going to get far more recommendations than better stuff.

I think you cleared it up I guess the 'Cool Knowledgable Noob' makes sense

There should be a forum for people between UG and HC, UG is kind of childish and then HC is full of real serious musicians who knows their stuff.
Fender American Strat
-
-
Quote by psychokiller99
haha. not surprising. ain't life grand isn't a very well known album, but it's really good.

Snakepit, imo was Slash's greatest group. I guess I am un-like everyone else
Fender American Strat
-
-
Quote by LifesSweetDrug

i love that album too!

beggars and hangers on is my favorite
I don't think it's overrated it's a good amp. But it's becoming a Blues Junior of sorts. a year or two ago people did nothing but rec BJrs but now it's HT5s
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
snakepit was good. i like it's 5 o'clock somewhere better though.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by bubb_tubbs

It's pretty much the exact opposite from what The Gear Page is.

That being said, it doesn't sound bad. I would much rather have a Night Train or Tiny Terror, but both of those are more expensive.
I’m pretty much a noob but say the ht-5 is everything I personally was looking for in a low volume amp. I liked the Randell RM20 maybe a little better, Egnator Rebel about the same, and the Marshall Haze a little less but for the money the HT-5 ran away with it.......

Amps I have gone thru
1. Crate low cost ($250ish at GC) returned the same week I started playing for the cube
2. Cube 30x which other than the R-Fier setting I did not like it.
3. Blackheart Little Giant combo, great warm sound but not what I was looking for
4. Line 6 Pod which I thought was the only way I was ever going to attain my tone taste. Until

Amps I now own
1. JCM 900 4100, 1960 cab
2. HT-5, Blackheart 1x12 or the marshall cab

I am very pleased with my current gear.
Last edited by mbob at Aug 9, 2009,
I think that the OD channel on the amp is overrated personally, it didn't have as much as I expected it to, only enough for Sabbath I think. It's a great amp regardless... If you don't like it then you don't like it, that's fine. I love the clean channel though and i have to use a pedal to play metal on mine but I love it.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
if there was a perfect amp that everyone loves, there would be no more individual amp makers. everyone i know and their mums freaked over the Blackheart LG when it first came out, but i never found it that awe-inspiring. likewise, i think the Egnater Rebel is brilliant but others trash it.

Different strokes for different folks.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
if there was a perfect amp that everyone loves, there would be no more individual amp makers. everyone i know and their mums freaked over the Blackheart LG when it first came out, but i never found it that awe-inspiring. likewise, i think the Egnater Rebel is brilliant but others trash it.

Different strokes for different folks.

I completely agree with all your statements. I forgot I owned the Blackheart also and need to edit my post above lol. The LG is a great warm tone for blues but not anywhere close to what I was looking for.
Last edited by mbob at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by JayT44
I think that the OD channel on the amp is overrated personally, it didn't have as much as I expected it to, only enough for Sabbath I think. It's a great amp regardless... If you don't like it then you don't like it, that's fine. I love the clean channel though and i have to use a pedal to play metal on mine but I love it.

Well a 5 watt amp isnt going to have the low end for metal but it certainly does 80's metal nice on a budget. And OD pedal and EQ pedal push it to a great DT and brootalz tone
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
Well a 5 watt amp isnt going to have the low end for metal but it certainly does 80's metal nice on a budget. And OD pedal and EQ pedal push it to a great DT and brootalz tone

Yeah, it'll do thrash and glam but you'd have to boost it for the newer angry stuff you kids listen to.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by LifesSweetDrug

no, i'm with you on that one... i've had that album "eternally-borrowed" by so many people, i'm getting tired of searching the used record stores for copies.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Yeah, it'll do thrash and glam but you'd have to boost it for the newer angry stuff you kids listen to.

+1
It's a little overrated but still a good amp for a good price. Not nearly as overrated as the Tiny Terror.
Quote by al112987
It's a little overrated but still a good amp for a good price. Not nearly as overrated as the Tiny Terror.

+1

That's what I said!

Quote by jc349

Yeah it is. I already asked him that.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
+1

That's what I said!

+1, I was severely let down by the tiny terror. Just a box of fizz IMO.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by jc349
I was one of the two.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Page 1 of 2