anyone else got one... at present i'm using a half decent PC, but getting fed up of not being able to take it anyway... only reason i would need a high spec laptop would be for gaming and recording... can get away with gaming because the money i would save by getting a cheaper smaller laptop could be used to buy an xbox, and not too bothered about using a laptop for recording as can always rig something up for the rare occasion i need to record anything half decent...

just unsure how good/reliable these things are, i use two programs for revision, neither are partularly resource heavy, and check emails etc, and have about 20gb of songs on an external harddrive, netbooks seem to have about 1.6mhz processors not dual core or anything, 1gb of RAM, just wondering if anyone can tell me if this 'll cope well enough for the stuff i just mentioned, or would i need something a bit higher spec? and any recommendation of models? most seem to be about £280, don't really want to spend much more than that if i can help it!

cheers for reading
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

They're fine for minimal use. If that all you need them or they work alright, their construction is good and all.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
A friend had a Dell Netbook w/Linux. Was pretty cool, had Solid-State Harddrive and was pretty nippy. Keyboard was too fiddly and the novelty ran out pretty fast though.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

you know if linux would run microsoft office? or is linux still useless for any mainstream software?
Quote by MastaBassist10

Quote by DieGarbageMan
I say get a normal laptop

>__>

yeah but more expensive and what am i paying for if something cheaper will do the same thing? just not sure how reliable/efficient they are.....
Quote by MastaBassist10

Im getting one of the Acer 11.6" ones. It has a 250gig harddrive and 2 gigs of RAM. Its actually really good. I think its only priced at around $348 too. And to cope with the small screen size Im buying a 19" flat screen with a VGA port so I can run my laptop to it and use it as a monitor when need be. But in all honesty I say go for it. They really arent bad...
<--- Computer Xpert.

DO NOT buy Dell. Ever. Period.(.)

Netbooks are good for work use and such. For instance, I am getting an ASUS for 350-380 bucks. It will run all my internet, school, and job needs but it won't run well with say Guild Wars or World Of Warcraft and will definitely not run Call Of Duty. (well, maybe CoD1 or 2.)

Here is a link to a really great netbook from ASUS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220551

Also, I don't really want to get into a fanboy fight over Xbox or PS3... But if all your friends have xbox360, get one I suppose if you expect to pay 60 bucks a year for XboxLive or if you find it crucial to get all Halo/Gears games. Otherwise, get a PS3. I have xbox360 and wii, but ps3 really would satisfy my technological needs when it comes to universal media devices for the living room BluRay is a great feature as well but it isn't a feature to dwell upon.

1 more thing... I assume you have about an 800 dollar budget.. Shoot for a regular laptop and no xbox or ps3 or wii. PC gaming is way more fun in my opinion, plus you don't necessarily have to pay for your games...
^ Not computer 'Xpert'.... when i've worked in a computer refurbishment center, Dell's were the only machines that worked consistently when they came in after years of use. Dell's i've owned have kept very well, i have an old latitude laptop that gets use everyday after about 5 years, and there's not a thing wrong with it.

Anyway, netbooks are cool if you need portability, if not there isn't much point... the small keyboard and screen will be a pain for heavy use, and not much power for anything other than every day stuff.
I say get a refurbished/used larger more powerful laptop if you're going to use it a lot and don't need ultra-portability.
Last edited by vitchb at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by bloke
you know if linux would run microsoft office? or is linux still useless for any mainstream software?

There's a program called open office that runs on Linux, it's pretty good (except for it's spreadsheet program, which is nowhere near as good as excel) and is generally compatible with MS office in terms of file types and whatnot. But if you want office just run windows, don't buy into all of the hype that Linux gets, especially if it can't run the apps you want.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i had a netbook. it was sick as for college. fit in my bag (i only use a small bag). was the most useful thing i had. till some ****wit decided to steal it when i left it in the lockers to go get some lunch....
I would suspect that they have fairly weak systems, and could only handle running a web-browser most of the time. You'd probably be disappointed if you bought one, but I haven't really checked out all their specs.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by pHaKe
I would suspect that they have fairly weak systems, and could only handle running a web-browser most of the time. You'd probably be disappointed if you bought one, but I haven't really checked out all their specs.

That's really all thier made for (hence the term "netbook") they can run the internet and other basic apps (word processing and whatnot) a lot of them have a lot of RAM but really low powered CPUs (I think the Intel Atom (designed for use in smartphones) is one of the more popular choices)

Last.fm
I had one, very useful. Fits well everywhere into bags and whatnot and the battery lasted for atleast 6 hours. My only problem is that the screen is so small it's rubbish for anything picturerelated, and reading alot gets troublesome. Actually most visual things get troublesome, but I guess it's a small price (har har) to pay.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That's really all thier made for (hence the term "netbook") they can run the internet and other basic apps (word processing and whatnot) a lot of them have a lot of RAM but really low powered CPUs (I think the Intel Atom (designed for use in smartphones) is one of the more popular choices)

If that's all he's going to use then it would probably be fine. I'm just saying, I'd hate to have a computer like that as my only one, but then I spend all my time on my computer anyway
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
I have an msi U100 and quite like it. It's the only computer I have at the moment actually. It's powerful enough to edit HD videos, has over 100gb of space, 1 gb ram...Battery lasts less than a couple of hours though, but I'm sure you could upgrade to a better one.

$300 btw.
Quote by the1
I may get one for Uni- like for lecture notes and stuff. Reccomended??

If you plan on typing up notes you might want to try one, because they have really small keyboards that are IMO a real pain to touch type on.

Last.fm
I have the ASUS eeepc 701 that I use for web surfing on the go. As long as you realize that these are primarily for web surfing/email checking and not for serious work you'll be fine. They are fun and cheap enough.
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa