Hey all,

After searching for a long time, and some great help from you guys here at UG, I have been able to make a final selection of 5 basses. Now ofcourse, I know no one can give me the answer ''definetly get this bass'' because I need to play them and see if they feel right for me, but before I do I would like some input on the models listed below. This is so that I know if there's any things I need to pay particulair attention to (awesome tone, bad fretwork etc. etc.).

My final selection is between these basses:

Spector Legend 5 (shop doesnt list if its classic or custom, its the one with the bubinga top if that helps?)
Ibanez SR 505
Ibanez EDB 555
Ibanez SRX 595 TRX
Yamaha RBX5 A2 WH

Now I whent for somewhat of a diverse choice between these 5 stringers. I did this because I'm not 100% sure on the sound I want, and from all the different sound categories (from what I've heard from them thus far) they seem to be very nice. Playability will probably be what determines which bass I take home in the end, unless I find one of the tones to just be so incredible that I cannot pass it up. These basses are all between the 500-600 euro range, which is my budget.

Final amp choice has come down to:

Line 6 Spider studio 110 (I know but I still want to test it!)
Ashdown Perfect Ten
Hartke B somethingorother 30 watt.
Nemesis N10
Roland CB30

Is there anyone who has any suggestions, a ''be wary of'' or a ''this would suit you a lot'' comment towards one of these basses or possibly amps? I'm looking for somewhat of a Warwick ish growl but with a bit more low end as an ideal sound, but I somewhat think this cannot be achieved. I play a lot of different music types and plan to do the same on my basses, though I would always be falling back into the progressive genre ala Dream Theater, Opeth, Mastodon etc.

Also, does anyone know what the neck on the EDB 555 (supposedly its a bit thicker than normal ibanez necks), Spector Legend and Yamaha are like? I like the Ibanez necks but there just a tad too thin for my tastes, but then I haven't spent a lot of time playing one last time I got around to it.

Much appreciation in advance, once again =)

JaeSwift~

EDIT: Forgot the last 2 amps.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Aug 9, 2009,
dont get the Line 6. the Spector is probably good. if you spend more on the amp you can get a more useful amp. which is good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
wait doesn't the EDB have a jatoba and bubinga neck?

I'm switching my vote!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
wait doesn't the EDB have a jatoba and bubinga neck?

I'm switching my vote!

5 piece Jatoba/Bubinga neck. I'm a bit unfamiliar with using these woods for necks though, what kind of tone and stability would this produce more so than other woods of the other basses?

My only uncertainty on the EDB are the duncan/ibanez pickups (they remind me of Duncan Designed pickups, which I never liked). I haven't actually heard them though, but it makes me slightly wary.

EDIT: The SR 505 also has a 5 piece jatoba/bubinga neck, coupled with a mid boost/cut knob that the EDB doesn't have. I like the body wood of the EDB a tad better though.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Aug 10, 2009,
the EDB will have a deeper undertone given by the neck. it goes really well with single coils. it will be tougher than a one piece maple, and feel really good.

the pickups are nice- duncan designed are actually usually very nice on bass. IMO.

the EDB has a nicer playing neck profile to me.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard