I personally prefair the pentatonic, even though I know a plenthora of modes, major, minor.

What about you people?
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Same for me, regardless of it being a mainly blues scale you can play metal with t aswell...
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Pentatonic, because I am too lazy to learn modes at them moment. I've only been play for 8 months, so I have time.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
aeolian,lydian and phrygian, i know all the modes but i keep on using them 3 `cos i`m attracted to their tonality, started using dorian alot more aswell.....i`m a guitar teacher with 22 years playing so i`m really using all the modes regularly just those above i use for the most part in my own compositions
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 10, 2009,
Lol, 8 months is still early, take it easy Dorian is also pretty nice, playing it right feels slightly like David Gilmour.

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Pentatonic, I think it would be probably 90% of peoples because normally it's the first scale guitarists learn.
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
Eblast over her face and tell her you need your privacy.
Pentatonic, mostly Em pentatonic first shape, to be exact.
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Aug 9, 2009,
ive been using the g major non- stop cause it sounds kinda half blues half rock to me
Pentatonic is pretty popular then :p

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, minor pentatonic, blues.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Natural minor or major, and I usually add my own chromatics depending on the situation to tip the tonal scale, so to speak. I hate the sound of minor pentatonic, too restrictive.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Aug 10, 2009,
Blues, Ionian, Minor Pentatonic. I plan on using the modes more often, though. I like-a me some lydian.
A lot of minor for rhythm and mostly pentatonic for leads because I'm SO original :-P. I use minor and hungarian minor (just a minor with a sharp 4th) in solos. I like to occasionally use the Klezmer scale in some rhythm playing, which is just a minor scale or a harmonic minor scale with a flat 2nd. It gets a really really good sound for me
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Pentatonics with accidentals I guess - my fingers gravitate to playing pentatonically, and I fill in the gaps to suit the chord progression.
Depends on the chords, but the major scale and modes covers it all pretty much.Jazz melodic minor has the best of major and minor worlds though, and I've been writing that scale into the latest song I'm working on.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I'd like to point out that modes are not scales.

They might as well be, they have at least one different interval than their parent scale and can be used the same way as any other scale.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Lol, if i could pull off the pentatonic...
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free.
The law that conquers Heaven and Hell.
Heavy Metal can't be beaten by any Dynasty.
We're all wizards fighting with our spells!
C Major scale. Yeah, I can't break out from the shape, unfortunately. Makes my solos sound sterile and generic as hell.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Deep*Kick
They might as well be, they have at least one different interval than their parent scale and can be used the same way as any other scale.

Modes are used in modal settings. That's it.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Modes are used in modal settings. That's it.

what exactly are modal settings?
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by zhilla
Pentatonics with accidentals I guess - my fingers gravitate to playing pentatonically, and I fill in the gaps to suit the chord progression.

This. After only 2 1/2 years of playing, it's definitely the most natural thing to do... any other scales I use are used compositionally--not improvised.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Modes are allowed, I like the Dorian the most because it's just like the major and minor pentatonic mixed together Which suits my Hendrix rythm fills.

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Quote by timeconsumer09
major/minor with accidentals. suits every situation i've ever come across.

Basically this.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Really? Am I the only one on this thread to Say the Harmonic and Melodic Minor?

Wow.

Those are my favorites too. I personally prefer whole tone though. Along with some diminished.
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Line6 Spider III, Line6 FBV footboard, BOSS SuperShifter PS-5
Tascam US-122, ZOOM Rythmtrak RT-123, Zoom MRS-4 MultiTrak
Drumsite, Audacity
Quote by Deep*Kick
what exactly are modal settings?

Modes are highly unstable. To truly use modes, you (in most cases, unless you're a very experienced composer in tonal music and have a VERY sound understanding of modal music) need to use either a drone tone, chord vamp (the more chords the harder it will be), or a droning chord.

What most people refer to as using modes isn't using modes per se. Its using the defining notes from modes as accidentals in songs with major/minor tonics.

If you want a detailed explanation, PM me with your questions. I'll have plenty of time to answer tomorrow.
Phrygian for me, as well as harmonic minor and pentatonic.
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.