Inspired by the other thread.

Well, I can count 1 2 3 4 to most songs, and can just about work out where the offbeat is and stuff.

But when I counted to Money by Pink Floyd, which I had heard was 7/something I just counted 1 2 3 4 and got confused

I want to improve my rhythm playing, and I figure its probably good to start with the actual base of the rhythm.
its 7/4, It helps if you if you think of it as a bar of 3 beats followed by a bar of 4.
Just keep practicing your time signatures, you'll get it eventually.

Once you feel comfortable, try phase shifting i think its called. You play in one signature while the drums play in another, a simple example being you playing in 3/4 and the drums playing in 4/4. I find it great fun haha
the top number is number of beats in a bar
the bottom number is what type of beat

so you are used to 4/4 - thats 4 beats in every bar, each beat a crotchet (or quarter note) long.

pink floyd money is in 7/4 - 7 beats every bar, each beat also a crotchet (or quarter note) long. so this you would count - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and then start the next bar.

i think its best not to get much more complicated than that yet
Quote by benonbass1
its 7/4, It helps if you if you think of it as a bar of 3 beats followed by a bar of 4.
Just keep practicing your time signatures, you'll get it eventually.

That only works if it is phrased like that. There are many ways it could be divided.
The thing about money is that its in 7/8
that means you count the eighth notes in the measure and not the quarter notes and the seven means there is seven eight notes in the measure.

that formula is how you figure out everything

bottom numbers of a time signature
2:half notes
4:quarter notes
8:eighth notes
16:sixteenth notes
32:thirty second notes
64:sixty fourth notes

and then the top number is the amount of notes of that duration make up a measure

so in 7/8 there is 7 eighth notes

in 3/4 there is 3 quarter notes

in 12/16 there is twelve sixteenth notes (same as three four if you think about it)

hopefully this helps you