hey guys. i've been trying to play pinch harmonics but when i play them they either don't sound at all or the sound extremely weak. also with pinch harmonics on the a and e strings, how do you get that really screechy sound like killswictha nd bands like that do cause whenever i don them it sounds a lot lower than theirs. thanks
Use lots of distortion.
I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are.
Try "pinching" at different positions along the string with your right-hand. There's usually one or two "sweet spots" where you can get a nice, screeching sound, but it differs depending on which note you're doing a pinch harmonic on.
Try picking the pinch harmonic on different parts of the string with your right hand. Different spots will make different pitches.
Just practice more. 3 or 4 months ago i couldnt play them either. After thousands of runs through Pantera's Cemetery Gates i got em down pretty solidly. I find right over my single coil to be the average sweet spot for most of the pinch harmonics i play. Use your bridge pickup and crank your guitars volume and tone pots to full. Distortion is also good. After you get good try playing whammy harmonics, they squeal like a stuck pig. Oh yeah, a little vibrato may help bring the harmonic out, as will bends. Have fun!
I got a question too on this matter... I know the string matters when it comes to the sweet spot, but about the fret you're fretting? Cause I kept hitting the perfect pinch harmonic a while ago, i went to a different fret on the same string, lost that beautiful pinch, I went back to the fret i was holding first, there it was again..

I know this should convince me it does matter but I rarely hear people talk about the fret mattering so I thought it might aswell be me screwing up and alot of concidence
Yes it matters Gego. Different fret positions have different pinch harmonic locations. There are many lessons that go into the science and math behind harmonics you can find on the net. Pretty cool stuff.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Yes it matters Gego. Different fret positions have different pinch harmonic locations. There are many lessons that go into the science and math behind harmonics you can find on the net. Pretty cool stuff.

I guess the places lay close to eachother if they're only one fret apart though?
Yeah. I found playing Cemetery Gates the pinch on the ninth fret is about a centimeter further from the bridge then the pinch on the eighth. Kinda backwards it seems, but yea.
well, its kind of hard to explain, but with my strumming hand I sort of, touch the string with my thumb, its taken a long time to get it down pat but i can pinch harmonic the day away at this point.
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
Move your pinches around, but keep around your bridge pickup (the squeals come from the coil closer to the neck on the bridge pickup area)
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Just practice more. 3 or 4 months ago i couldnt play them either. After thousands of runs through Pantera's Cemetery Gates i got em down pretty solidly. I find right over my single coil to be the average sweet spot for most of the pinch harmonics i play. Use your bridge pickup and crank your guitars volume and tone pots to full. Distortion is also good. After you get good try playing whammy harmonics, they squeal like a stuck pig. Oh yeah, a little vibrato may help bring the harmonic out, as will bends. Have fun!

Over which single coil? What is your guitar's pup configuration?
Quote by lukeylynch
Over which single coil? What is your guitar's pup configuration?

Considering he's reffered to it as if there's only one, he probably has an HSH config.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
Considering he's reffered to it as if there's only one, he probably has an HSH config.

smart guy. Yeah my 'sweet spot' for the pinch harmonics i play regualrly seem to be in that area.
you just need to get a feel for your guitar, and see what setting works well on your amp
Artificial harmonics made somewhat easy

I have what seems to be a bit of an unorthodox technique compared to what I've seen described elsewhere. I developed it mainly through laziness. Instead of tucking all my pickhand fingers into the palm, I let my ring finger gently rest on the string. My ring finger will (generally) fall right about on top of my bridge pickup, and when I pick it will usually be on or near my middle (in an HSS setup) pickup.
Using this technique I can get pinch harmonics on any string, any fret, anytime I want. Zakk Wylde's E-string vibrato G pinch? No problem. Dimebags' screamers? I do it a bit differently but it accomplishes the same thing. I pre-bend my note, do my thing and then release it. This wouldn't work well for the one or two really high wailers in Cemetery Gates, but I don't tend to do that too often anyway.
Also helpful, as mentioned, are having your tone full treble and a good whack of distortion. I used to use two distortion pedals (each had elements I liked that the other lacked, so why not use both?) but now I can get it with just my amp distortion.
I can post sound examples or pics if needed.

The reason you have to pick your harmonic in different places when playing on different frets is simple: by fretting, you're changing the effective length of your string and thus its harmonic nodes.
thanks guys and for any of you guys wondering, i use a xiphos so its just two humbucker, no single coils
Quote by Craterocks
thanks guys and for any of you guys wondering, i use a xiphos so its just two humbucker, no single coils

the 27 fret xiphos or the 24?